Coronavirus (COVID-19)

19 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

There was never an adjustment in the generally perceived threat level from what was being reported back in March when the IFR was believed to be 2% to what actually happened with an IFR of around 0.2% that was very heavily age skewed towards those with multiple comorbidities. I've pretty much given up on trying to reason with people at this point over why life does need to still go on reasonably normally to prevent serious problems from developing elsewhere. Vaccines should finally be the way out and it will only be a few weeks until they should be putting a massive dent in the death and ICU numbers once all the over 70s have been done.

Hancock saying lockdown can only be lifted as long as no new variants are discovered is the latest goalpost shift.

The recent obsession with variants, when they were previously never mentioned, is a weird one.

What is it with Boris and trying to lift restrictions in line with a public holiday. Trust us Boris we don't need a public holiday to celebrate the end of this shit show, no one will be at work regardless. 

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

What is it with Boris and trying to lift restrictions in line with a public holiday. Trust us Boris we don't need a public holiday to celebrate the end of this shit show, no one will be at work regardless. 

Restrictions "begin to ease by Good Friday" is fairly grim messaging, even before you get to the bit about it not being a good idea.

It's incredible that they would even consider that after the complete disaster at Christmas. Nobody outwith a few religious weirdos gives a toss about Easter anyway. Hopefully Whitty and co put their foot down this time.

29 minutes ago, 101 said:

Say what you like about Boris but he has an impressive ability to never learn from mistakes.

Just now, The Moonster said:

Surely by Easter we've vaccinated all vulnerable people, or very close to all of them? Why is there a need for heavy restrictions at that point? 

The logic, as I understand it is there would be two outstanding risks:

1) vaccinating the JCVI list should reduce death and general hospitalisations, but weirdly not ICU usage. Since older folk who get it bad enough tend to die, its younger (I.e. middle age) folk with acute Covid that end up in ICU. Therefore there is apparently a risk that letting it circulate before you've vaccinated down to 45+ leaves pressure on Critical care wards.

2) Need data on the impact on transmission from the vaccine. If it interrupts transmission as well as reducing symptoms then great. If not, and you are just making folk asymptomatic then the risk as I understand it is that the virus still circulates as it previously would, leading to increased chances of a mutation that requires adjustment to the vaccine, or has greater chance of reinfecting people who had it before.

Not saying I agree with it, but that seems to be the chat firing around.

Surely nobody's arsed about Easter

You’ve never met my girlfriends gran.

They weren’t allowed Easter eggs until they were 16 because “Jesus had nothing to do with chocolate eggs.”

1 minute ago, renton said:

1) vaccinating the JCVI list should reduce death and general hospitalisations, but weirdly not ICU usage. Since older folk who get it bad enough tend to die, its younger (I.e. middle age) folk with acute Covid that end up in ICU. Therefore there is apparently a risk that letting it circulate before you've vaccinated down to 45+ leaves pressure on Critical care wards.

The average age of the occupant of an ICU bed in the current wave is 60, I think.