Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Scotland's approach will also cost lives if dawdling over care homes delays vaccination to every other vulnerable group. And it will also trash businesses and livelihoods if we continue to lag behind the community protection levels required to i) reduce hospital pressures and ii) launch restrictions into the bin as soon as possible.

Hi.  I read that twice and didn't really grasp what you were alluding too but I read it a third time and then I had a lightbulb moment because unfortunately my bulb blew in the living room leaving the monitor  illuminated which actually accelerated the  reading/ thinking process.   And I put it to you virginton that you are a man with very poor taste in tinned soup and you want a private reg plate but you can't quite afford it and you're wrong on the figures because 1/2 of deaths are in care homes, and adopting the Boris approach would lead to a 3/4 of a month delay in vaccinating 100% of care homes.   And that's not my opinion, that's statistics.  

17 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Hi.  I read that twice and didn't really grasp what you were alluding too but I read it a third time and then I had a lightbulb moment because unfortunately my bulb blew in the living room leaving the monitor  illuminated which actually accelerated the  reading/ thinking process.   And I put it to you virginton that you are a man with very poor taste in tinned soup and you want a private reg plate but you can't quite afford it and you're wrong on the figures because 1/2 of deaths are in care homes, and adopting the Boris approach would lead to a 3/4 of a month delay in vaccinating 100% of care homes.   And that's not my opinion, that's statistics.  

Could you show your working for the 3/4 month delay?

A reputable source for the 50% claim would also be good.

ETA did you also forget to logon as your golfing buddy before you made the above post?

Edited by Left Back

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Could you show your working for the 3-4 month delay?

A reputable source for the 50% claim would also be good.

Hi KT

Take a month divide the number of days by 4 and then multiply by 3.   

The only people I need to prove too I'm working is HMRC.  Would you like to see my latest SA302 and my 5 (five) figure income?  

2 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Hi KT

Take a month divide the number of days by 4 and then multiply by 3.   

The only people I need to prove too I'm working is HMRC.  Would you like to see my latest SA302 and my 5 (five) figure income?  

Your, not you’re.

so you failed English as well then.  Unsurprising.

38 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

What an absolute mare of a post.

Not a topic many in here will be passionate about but the government’s treatment of visa holders is a shambles. My partner is Australian and her visa expires in a month. For those whose visas expire they can apply for ‘exceptional assurance’ which extends it for 3 weeks or so. They have to keep applying for this. Gives absolutely zero certainty or security. Has to give up her lease. Work situation highly unclear. She’s lucky she can move in with me and I can support her but f**k knows what others in her situation are doing.

New Zealand just granted their visa holders an extra 6 months. That’s what should be happening in such uncertain times.

these statistics are British culture distilled

I think you can combine these statistics and make the conclusion that people generally support these restrictions for other people but if pushed would argue they personally have a valid reason to avoid them being applied to themselves.

5 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I’d give her an injection, with my cock.

Electric car batteries being produced that can charge in five minutes is probably what should be most eye-catching about that page as it is part of a wider technology advance that could start to make fossil fuel use in road transport obsolete in another 5 to 10 years. Bit depressing that the Guardian went with a divisive Daily Heil type headline over COVID instead.

6 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Not a topic many in here will be passionate about but the government’s treatment of visa holders is a shambles. My partner is Australian and her visa expires in a month. For those whose visas expire they can apply for ‘exceptional assurance’ which extends it for 3 weeks or so. They have to keep applying for this. Gives absolutely zero certainty or security. Has to give up her lease. Work situation highly unclear. She’s lucky she can move in with me and I can support her but f**k knows what others in her situation are doing.

New Zealand just granted their visa holders an extra 6 months. That’s what should be happening in such uncertain times.

The UK isn't the worst.  Here in the Philippines people can get a tourist visa to stay up to 3 yrs, leave and return the next day and start the 3 yrs over again ad infinitum.  Once travel restrictions were put in place most of them were stuck here even if their 3 yrs were up with little option but to stay and report to immigration and pay the hefty fines for overstaying or leave and not know when they would be able to get back in again.  Bear in mind many of those were married or as good as who used the 3 yr tourist visa because it was simple and legit.  I know of a good few who are in that boat.  On one hand I see the point that they should have converted to spouses visa (as I did) rather than play the tourist visa system.  Cost to extend the 3 yrs for 3 or 6 months is running at about £450 and no guarantee it will be granted once never mind more than once.  

Just buy a tennis bat and hitch a lift with Andy Mugray

1 minute ago, superbigal said:
8 hours ago, Alex_14 said:

Just buy a tennis bat and jump on a plane home.

I think you’ll find that’s a racket racquet.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think you can combine these statistics and make the conclusion that people generally support these restrictions for other people but if pushed would argue they personally have a valid reason to avoid them being applied to themselves.

That's the attitude in every aspect of life for every male in the UK aged 35-65.

Edited by Marshmallo

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

The UK isn't the worst.  Here in the Philippines people can get a tourist visa to stay up to 3 yrs, leave and return the next day and start the 3 yrs over again ad infinitum.  Once travel restrictions were put in place most of them were stuck here even if their 3 yrs were up with little option but to stay and report to immigration and pay the hefty fines for overstaying or leave and not know when they would be able to get back in again.  Bear in mind many of those were married or as good as who used the 3 yr tourist visa because it was simple and legit.  I know of a good few who are in that boat.  On one hand I see the point that they should have converted to spouses visa (as I did) rather than play the tourist visa system.  Cost to extend the 3 yrs for 3 or 6 months is running at about £450 and no guarantee it will be granted once never mind more than once.  

That, of course, is what they should have done (assuming they were in the position to do so). I must admit I haven't a great deal of sympathy with people in the situation you describe, a bit like ex-pats in Spain who didn't make attempts to become Spanish citizens when Brexit started, rather than just rely on Permanent Residency certificates.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That, of course, is what they should have done (assuming they were in the position to do so). I must admit I haven't a great deal of sympathy with people in the situation you describe, a bit like ex-pats in Spain who didn't make attempts to become Spanish citizens when Brexit started, rather than just rely on Permanent Residency certificates.

Wouldn't disagree.  Many don't because the tourist visa system is well-established and perfectly allowed by Immigration here i.e. it has never been viewed as being circumventing the rules. It's also a ball ache to do the conversion but that's no excuse.  As I said, I did it the "right" way despite the hassle and cost so I can sit smugly here now whilst those who took the easy option are in difficulty.  I say smug not because I'm an arsehole (that's open to debate) but you can imagine that a fair few who used the tourist visa route were vocal about how easy it was and how the resident visa was not necessary.  

9 hours ago, NotThePars said:

There was never an adjustment in the generally perceived threat level from what was being reported back in March when the IFR was believed to be 2% to what actually happened with an IFR of around 0.2% that was very heavily age skewed towards those with multiple comorbidities. I've pretty much given up on trying to reason with people at this point over why life does need to still go on reasonably normally to prevent serious problems from developing elsewhere. Vaccines should finally be the way out and it will only be a few weeks until they should be putting a massive dent in the death and ICU numbers once all the over 70s have been done.