Coronavirus (COVID-19)

NS tone and words earlier did not sound as though she will be announcing tomorrow that schools will be going back on February 1st which should generate plenty of seethe.

I know they always say that they will "make the decision tomorrow" but I don't believe they haven't already pretty much decided.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

NS tone and words earlier did not sound as though she will be announcing tomorrow that schools will be going back on February 1st which should generate plenty of seethe.

I know they always say that they will "make the decision tomorrow" but I don't believe they haven't already pretty much decided.

They usually shop proposals as leaks when they are going to propose something stronger, hopefully nothing new happens. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'll be pretty surprised if we see schools back in full this side of Easter.

1 hour ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The BBC working hart to shift the blame from the government to the population.

Combine that with Laura Kunsberg saying universal credit was "generous" I'm finding it harder and harder to find a place for the BBC current affairs team in the modern world.

Surely no one was expecting them to back that quickly especially when you factor in they stop again a week later.

Whilst nothing official, we've always operated under the assumption it would be after the Feb break at the earliest we go back with the kids.  A graduated return would probably make sense, but I suspect it'll be back full-noise like August.  By that time, nearly 2 months of lockdown plus however many vaccinations (and pressure from parents) will probably mean schools don't close again bar any major explosions in cases. 

A brutal report on bbc news at 6 there, from a hospital in London.

It's quite clear that hospitals both down south and up here are at breaking point - but the case numbers are dropping so hopefully side relief will come in the next few weeks.

Add on the number of those vaccinated and we should be seriously looking at reducing restrictions after February.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A brutal report on bbc news at 6 there, from a hospital in London.

It's quite clear that hospitals both down south and up here are at breaking point - but the case numbers are dropping so hopefully side relief will come in the next few weeks.

Add on the number of those vaccinated and we should be seriously looking at reducing restrictions after February.

I reckon the vast majority on here will agree, but even freedom-loving Johnson today was saying people need to be aware it will be a slow and steady approach to reopening. 

Lennon is like Trump.  You think that there’s nothing he can do/say that would make him more unlikeable, then....
His press conference today was bonkers. He's close to cracking I suspect. Claimed they broke no Covid protocols in Dubai yet John Kennedy has already publicly acknowledged they did. Called the SG protocols on isolation "ludicrous" yet they are the same protocols we all have to follow daily and then amazingly appeared to say that Celtic have not been following the SGs protocols on bus travel as it would have meant only 3 could travel on each vehicle. This despite the rule being 2m apart !!!

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
Lennon is like Trump.  You think that there’s nothing he can do/say that would make him more unlikeable, then....

His press conference today was bonkers. He's close to cracking I suspect. Claimed they broke no Covid protocols in Dubai yet John Kennedy has already publicly acknowledged they did. Called the SG protocols on isolation "ludicrous" yet they are the same protocols we all have to follow daily and then amazingly appeared to say that Celtic have not been following the SGs protocols on bus travel as it would have meant only 3 could travel on each vehicle. This despite the rule being 2m apart !!!

Him and Laurence Fox must be besties by now 

39 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Whilst nothing official, we've always operated under the assumption it would be after the Feb break at the earliest we go back with the kids.  A graduated return would probably make sense, but I suspect it'll be back full-noise like August.  By that time, nearly 2 months of lockdown plus however many vaccinations (and pressure from parents) will probably mean schools don't close again bar any major explosions in cases. 

I'd imagine the only people surprised, or who complain, that schools aren't going back Feb 1 will be the #usforthem mentalists.

What I'd hope for is some sort of forward plan re: older kids. I think we're going to be stretching it a bit fitting in two prelims pre-Easter; it would be good to know if there'll be an extension of SQA's dates, or if the expectations for evidence will change. Given Swinney's previous I'm not holding out much hope for an update pre-April.

1 minute ago, David W said:

I'd imagine the only people surprised, or who complain, that schools aren't going back Feb 1 will be the #usforthem mentalists.

What I'd hope for is some sort of forward plan re: older kids. I think we're going to be stretching it a bit fitting in two prelims pre-Easter; it would be good to know if there'll be an extension of SQA's dates, or if the expectations for evidence will change. Given Swinney's previous I'm not holding out much hope for an update pre-April.

It's undoubtedly much harder for the high schools.  At primary we seem to be running a lot smoother than before, we taught the kids how to use teams before and a mixture of live input, recorded video lessons and other media seem to be making things much easier.  That said, it's incredibly time consuming and not a patch on working with them face to face - but that shouldn't come at the cost of driving up case numbers for stages that don't have exams to consider.