Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Context needed, i.e. how does this compare to hospitalisations for other conditions, how many of those patients were old relics at deaths door anyway and/or a Big Mac away from a coronary.

Doesnt matter what age etc they are they are being readmitted which in turn puts a strain on the nhs 

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Doesnt matter what age etc they are they are being readmitted which in turn puts a strain on the nhs 

Except it does matter, quite a lot actually. If they’re all over 70 then those statistics will likely plummet shortly after that group have been vaccinated. If it’s across all age groups with large numbers under 50 then it’s more worrying longer term.

16 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

They do point out that Korea and Sweden might have just taken on the isolation advice without making it obligatory.

The degree to which risk communications motivate personal behaviors has been used to explain South Korea’s response to NPIs, where large personal behavior changes were observed following less restrictive NPIs.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/eci.13484

BBC reporting tonight that 50,000 frontline NHS staff in England in the last week were absent through a positive Covid test or being asked to isolate as a close contact of a positive test. Even worse this is only half of the total absent in that period. It's 1 in 8 of the frontline workforce ! That is completely unsustainable and it's little wonder the NHS is close to being overwhelmed.

I'd take Glen's shitposting over independence think-tanks slightly more seriously if it wasn't for the fact that the great ship of state of the United Kingdom has just spend the last four years doing little else but sailing around in ever decreasing circles over Brexit while taking in water and the rest of the world laughs at how cackhanded the whole thing is and all this was in the main originally just about saving the Tory Party.

7 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

298,087 Vaccines carried out in the UK yesterday alone. More than Scotland has administered  in total! This on the day that the SNP announce a new Independence task force. Well seeing where their priorities lie. 

4 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

At the moment the majority of any backlash is coming from folk who take the view of "wee nippy says black i'll fuckin say white WATP" 

4 hours ago, Glen Sannox said:

And Nicola has gone for the National/Weegie thicko headline tactic. Little surprise that you’ve swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Anyway, at least you’ve got another Independence think tank. That’ll be really handy in the middle of a crisis.

The Nats are just like Old Firm fans....it’s always someone else’s fault.

Exhibit A m'lud.

49 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

So despite England not having completed priority group 1 the BBC is reporting that they're starting on group 4 tomorrow.

Seems to me that they're just going scattergun and not actually doing anything methodically

It’s probably taking too long to complete Group 1.

All that matters to them is getting the number of vaccinated people up.

1 hour ago, MP_MFC said:

So despite England not having completed priority group 1 the BBC is reporting that they're starting on group 4 tomorrow.

Seems to me that they're just going scattergun and not actually doing anything methodically

The way their doing it, more folk in care homes will die, giving space for them to place elderly from the hospital into those free spaces, freeing up places in hospital......

Cunting plan if there ever was one.

England now to begin vaccinating the over 70s. And also 24hour vaccine pilot in London at the end of the month.

Some on here suggesting they're doing it all wrong.

I know Scotland's approach is to do the care homes first but I don't see why we can't do other priority groups concurrently. When a house builder builds a row of houses they don't wait to complete the first house before starting the second.

Will be an interesting couple of weeks comparing the two different approaches.

6 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It’s probably taking too long to complete Group 1.

All that matters to them is getting the number of vaccinated people up.

Good. 

If it's taking too long on a particular group that's no reason to hold everyone else up as well. As long as the over 80s aren't missed out I don't see a problem here.