Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, Elixir said:

_116551282_sundaytimes.jpg

I really, really hope this is only going to be a relatively short-term thing until Easter at the most, and that the UK Government isn't thinking of pivoting to some nonsense alternative Sridhar-esque 'strategy'.

Also, in the fine print there about lifting lockdown - it only seems to be talk of going down the tiers. That's acceptable while vulnerable groups are being vaccinated, but surely it then has to be a case of lifting ALL restrictions once the rollout has had ample time to offer the vaccine to the wider public? We're not back to normal until every single measure is in the bin.

Once the elderly/vulnerable and health care workers are vaccinated there should be no restrictions. The vast majority of people outwith those categories either don’t know they have covid at all, or they are mildly inconvenienced for a few days. I see no reason to shut down the world just incase the under 50’s get a sniffle 

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

It is this kind of simplistic pish that kills the debate.
I don’t know if you think you are making some kind of edgy point, but you’re not.

I think it is quite reasonable to be flippant about something like this. The debate on how to minimise infections can be better placed which doesn't include focusing on footballers who are regularly tested and are in each others personal space regardless.

Has there been a single documented case resulting from a goal celebration? Such micro-examination is what stifles the real debates to be had and takes away the focus from the actual issues.

Once the elderly/vulnerable and health care workers are vaccinated there should be no restrictions. The vast majority of people outwith those categories either don’t know they have covid at all, or they are mildly inconvenienced for a few days. I see no reason to shut down the world just incase the under 50’s get a sniffle 

Weren’t you crying with worry about catching this virus back in March?

33 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

That is fucking wild patter.

Even if most people are significantly less likely to get ill with it, if you let everyone bloody get it you’ll still have a lot of pressure on the NHS.

I don’t know why people don’t understand this.

I’ve just seen a guy in his mid 40’s get intubated, no underlying conditions at all. 

I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated but vaccination numbers have no direct correlation to relaxing restrictions. The only thing that will do that is a large reduction in hospital admissions and deaths sustained to a level deemed acceptable.

The narrative up to now is that the vaccine will result in this but we simply don't know, only time will tell. The only thing we can do is continue vaccination and wait to see the actual results on hospital numbers and deaths.

It's why I posted that for the theory to be correct we really need to see sustained reductions in these areas but those working in the NHS who post on here are pointing out that we are still several weeks away from those numbers even peaking so it's then a case of waiting to see just how quickly they do decline after the peak as that and that alone is going to control the narrative when it comes to relaxing measures.

2 minutes ago, btb said:

I see Dominic Raab is today saying that the UK's focus on giving all UK adults a first dose by September means some folk might miss getting their second jab within 12 weeks.

That would be a bit silly

The english NHS apparently vaccinating at a rate of 140 per minute. 
Is there anything about this that makes people think that theres something the Scottish Government arent telling us about our supplies? Freeman’s backpedal on the number for the end of january? I hate myself for thinking this but is there any chance supplies have been diverted from Scotland to elsewhere in the UK? Hopefully theres someone a wee bit more aware who can shed some light on it? My mrs practice will only be able to vaccinate 60% of the people they expected to be able for the January targets etc. 
Is it either, the Scottish plans are shite? The vaccine has been diverted? Or a mix of both? 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I don't know how many times it needs to be repeated but vaccination numbers have no direct correlation to relaxing restrictions. The only thing that will do that is a large reduction in hospital admissions and deaths sustained to a level deemed acceptable.

The narrative up to now is that the vaccine will result in this but we simply don't know, only time will tell. The only thing we can do is continue vaccination and wait to see the actual results on hospital numbers and deaths.

We can quite clearly infer using all available knowledge of the virus, as well as primary school level logic and reason that as you vaccinate old fatties to protect them from becoming seriously ill, then the overall hospital admission rates and deaths will drop in direct relationship to the vaccine rollout. That is the entire fucking point of the vaccination program, so unless you're claiming that we don't actually know whether the jabs themselves will have 0% effectiveness or 100%, then we can chuck this 'nobody knows, wait and see' stance in the bin where it belongs.

Edited by vikingTON

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The english NHS apparently vaccinating at a rate of 140 per minute. 
Is there anything about this that makes people think that theres something the Scottish Government arent telling us about our supplies? Freeman’s backpedal on the number for the end of january? I hate myself for thinking this but is there any chance supplies have been diverted from Scotland to elsewhere in the UK? Hopefully theres someone a wee bit more aware who can shed some light on it? My mrs practice will only be able to vaccinate 60% of the people they expected to be able for the January targets etc. 

If that was true it would be a massive scandal and would absolutely destroy the UK Gov argument against independence. If they were diverting supply designated for us to their own country, and in the process literally killing some of our population to save theirs, I can’t see Scot Gov not making a big deal out of it. It would surely seal independence support.

According to the plan provided last week Scotland has the stock to be going faster, but are choosing to focus on getting care homes done first.

I don't really agree that is the right approach, but they've gone for it, and are almost finished with the care homes.

Once they start the mass rollout proper we'll have a better idea of who is more efficient.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

If that was true it would be a massive scandal and would absolutely destroy the UK Gov argument against independence. If they were diverting supply designated for us to their own country, and in the process literally killing some of our population to save theirs, I can’t see Scot Gov not making a big deal out of it. It would surely seal independence support.

Maybe youre right, I dont know, Im really genuinely not ever one for conspiracy theories or anything, its just the change in estimates from the Scot Gov, the personal thing with the mrs getting only about 60% of what they were told to expect. If it was the case perhaps they are sitting on it incase it caused civil unrest that would spike cases? There’s just something not right. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

We can quite clearly infer using all available knowledge of the virus, as well as primary school level logic and reason that as you vaccinate old fatties to protect them from becoming seriously ill, then the overall hospital admission rates and deaths will drop in direct relationship to the vaccine rollout. That is the entire fucking point of the vaccination program, so unless you're claiming that we don't actually know whether the jabs themselves will have 0% effectiveness or 100%, then we can chuck this 'nobody knows, wait and see' stance in the bin where it belongs.

What we do know 100% is that a number of people will still get ill from covid, and some of those will die.

It's slightly concerning that there appears to be a viewpoint forming that we need to accept restrictions im some form until the number of hospitalisations and deaths from it hits zero.