Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This one? :lol: I'd put Toby Young back on your follow list.

I'm not sure what the Bosnian war etc has to do with Covid-19, however...

I've already said I'd dismissed it as pish. But who comes up with this stuff. And why?

I've genuinely no idea who Toby Young is.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've already said I'd dismissed it as pish. But who comes up with this stuff. And why?

I've genuinely no idea who Toby Young is.

But you passed it on as a scare story and people have reacted to it. Why would you do that and leave the comment "but who knows" when there's zero behind it?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

But you passed it on as a scare story and people have reacted to it. Why would you do that and leave the comment "but who knows" when there's zero behind it?

There have been plenty of "ITK" tweets that seem, at first glance, to be utter pish over the last year that have ended up being somewhat true.

When you have dangerous zealots like Sridhar capable of influencing NS, however, then anything is possible.

Edited by Todd_is_God

That is wild.
Neil Young should be banned from twitter for his own sake.
I'm assuming a slip of the keys there - I know a lot of folk don't like the Canadian GLG's views on climate change and the environment, but I don't think he's deserving of the Trump Treatment.

12 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Possibly in the last few days but the constant NHS about to be overwhelmed narrative continues unabated. Difficult to maintain that if deaths and admissions continue to fall.

Also should see significantly less new cases very shortly or something else is driving infections that needs identifying quickly. They are levelling but not really falling that much.

This is what I've been thinking the last few days. Hence my rather grim posts of late.

The infection rate in Scotland is remaining pretty solid at around 1800 a day, yet almost everything is closed. 

It investigating (I like to think it already is). I saw an article yesterday about Covid in ice cream in China, but it was dismissed as being a one-off. I find myself open to believing it could possibly be in some of our foodstuff, cause I'm struggling to think how else 1800 folk can be catching it a day.

Guest Bob Mahelp

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016435.coronavirus-ridiculous-bureaucracy-behind-vaccinator-recruitment-threatens-400-000-jags-week-plan/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

I realise that this is UK-wide, and that all NHS health boards suffer from suffocating bureaucracy, but this is the kind of thing that Nicola Sturgeon will stand or fall on.

People will be reading this story and asking why the most important mass-vaccination in history could be held up by red tape and insane regulations. Get it scrapped, and do it now. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19016435.coronavirus-ridiculous-bureaucracy-behind-vaccinator-recruitment-threatens-400-000-jags-week-plan/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

I realise that this is UK-wide, and that all NHS health boards suffer from suffocating bureaucracy, but this is the kind of thing that Nicola Sturgeon will stand or fall on.

People will be reading this story and asking why the most important mass-vaccination in history could be held up by red tape and insane regulations. Get it scrapped, and do it now. 

What is the insane regulations? I've run out of free articles.

This is what I've been thinking the last few days. Hence my rather grim posts of late.
The infection rate in Scotland is remaining pretty solid at around 1800 a day, yet almost everything is closed. 
It investigating (I like to think it already is). I saw an article yesterday about Covid in ice cream in China, but it was dismissed as being a one-off. I find myself open to believing it could possibly be in some of our foodstuff, cause I'm struggling to think how else 1800 folk can be catching it a day.
1800 tested positive a day. All through we are lead to believe that testing in the UK only detects about a third of cases at best so probably well over 5000 a day have it.
The positive cases have to show decent sustained reductions soon. The only way restrictions will lift is once hospital admission and death reduce to an as yet undeclared "acceptable" level but despite all these new "treatments" deaths are as high as ever (3rd highest daily UK total yesterday). It's a cycle that needs to be broken and the 1st part of that is seeing sustained drops in cases.

It beggars belief that we could protect those identified as vulnerable without making serious inroads into hospital admissions and ultimately deaths. That would fly in the face of everything we have been lead to believe up to now. Only time will tell now.

Yeah pay wall article ! I would imagine there are rigorous checks quite rightly on anyone coming into the NHS or moving into an area within the NHS that they haven't worked in before.
Papers have been running stories since day 1 from retired GPs or Ex nurses having to fill out paperwork or go through courses to get back into the NHS. The big clue is "retired" and "ex". I think these people feel that as they are volunteering and it's just injecting they should stroll back in unvetted or without refresher training.

I think I've completely missed this but I take it there's new "guidance" on football celebrations? Currently watching Goals on Sunday on Sky Sports News and there seems to be a comment made on every celebration and how it's "in breach of Covid protocols".

Players are tested and obviously have to be negative to play. Football has been played for the past 6 months. Why is this only now being made into an issue?

21 minutes ago, 101 said:

The dentist is overdoing the whining outrage imo. There are daft looking box ticking categories like radicalisation prevention and diversity training but it's standard stuff. Here's someone who knows. 

On 03/01/2021 at 11:10, Cyclizine said:

Apart from the Covid specific modules, this is really just all the generic training modules any clinical staff member has to do as a new start and keep valid during employment: Scottish health boards are similar. It's why it's easier for staff who are already directly employed by the health board to be vaccinators. Dentists are essentially contractors. It's all e-learning on a national system here and most of the modules are pretty short, I seem to remember cracking through them all in a morning during Board induction many years ago. 

To be fair, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a basic level of knowledge about safe storage and administration if the vaccine and a refresher on possible complications. I can see why folk think some of the other modules are excessive though.

Problem is most of the generic ones are statutory, so unless there's a dispensation, the health boards can't employ new staff without them. Our Board got in trouble a few years ago for medical staff not keeping modules updated and it caused no end of trouble as the Health & Safety Executive rocked up and started interrogating us on how to put out fires, clean up blood spills and dispose of waste, etc. Managers panicked as HSE have legal powers to prosecute them as individuals.

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I think I've completely missed this but I take it there's new "guidance" on football celebrations? Currently watching Goals on Sunday on Sky Sports News and there seems to be a comment made on every celebration and how it's "in breach of Covid protocols".

Players are tested and obviously have to be negative to play. Football has been played for the past 6 months. Why is this only now being made into an issue?

When I watched the first German games back in...whenever they started, celebrations were a bit less exuberant. I think they've gradually returned to normal. As you say players are tested, but could still have contracted Covid after the test. I take it there's been a reminder.

The video of Chorley's dressing room looked like it could never have been Covid compliant for any more than about 3 people, but I suspect rules are being bent.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Complete nonsense driven by the mewling of a Government subcommittee with members desperate to get their names in the media. In their wee world it is fine for 18 players to be touch tight at a corner, but if a goal results then the players who have been tested regularly together cannot then celebrate for 20 seconds, populist, lets bash the rich football players drivel.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Yeah pay wall article ! I would imagine there are rigorous checks quite rightly on anyone coming into the NHS or moving into an area within the NHS that they haven't worked in before.
Papers have been running stories since day 1 from retired GPs or Ex nurses having to fill out paperwork or go through courses to get back into the NHS. The big clue is "retired" and "ex". I think these people feel that as they are volunteering and it's just injecting they should stroll back in unvetted or without refresher training.

I agree, the people brought in need to be correctly vetted otherwise we end up playing into the hands of the conspiracy theorists. I'm sure there are a few ex NHS employees who should never be allowed near a patient again.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The dentist is overdoing the whining outrage imo. There are daft looking box ticking categories like radicalisation prevention and diversity training but it's standard stuff. Here's someone who knows. 

I saw some of the things and it didn't look like it would take much longer than a day which realistically isn't going to be a barrier to delayed vaccinations and brings about public trust and confidence.

Complete nonsense driven by the mewling of a Government subcommittee with members desperate to get their names in the media. In their wee world it is fine for 18 players to be touch tight at a corner, but if a goal results then the players who have been tested regularly together cannot then celebrate for 20 seconds, populist, lets bash the rich football players drivel.

Had to laugh when you see the subs sitting 2m apart with masks on yet you can have man marking, shoulder challenges and walls when you’re on