Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

The teachers are not the cause of the majority of transmissions in that setting and never have been.

It was interesting to see our clownshoe colleagues south of the border indicate that they might bump teachers up the vaccine list, as being among key workers who are regularly exposed to risk. Here was me thinking that 'schools were safe' and have been magically repelling the virus since August!

"Not the cause of majority transmission" is difficult to pin point as the stats are unpublished as far as I know. But it would stop disruption of the teachers going off sick which would help. As for the in school measures of set spaced desks, one way systems, face masks they should be in place at least until the summer holidays.

I agree no UK government has covered themselves in much glory but at the risk of scrambling for crumbs of comfort it was good to see DFM acknowledge that schools weren't virus free havens but the economic and societal damage of closing them outweighed the medical need to close them again. It would be useful to see their workings that led them to that decision.

But I completely agree with you the school's can be a switch we turn back on as soon as say the over 80s are done we need to see a gradual reintroduction of all sectors where possible i.e children in homes with parents of 1 key worker can return and children with coursework difficult to complete at home can return at the same time outdoor sports and self catering wholly contained holiday let's reopen, as an example.

I'm curious to see what the SG do with shielding at the end of the month. On one hand, the numbers are trending in the right direction to allow us to return to work, but on the other, they are confident they can vaccinate us all by mid february, so I wonder if they will keep us at home an extra month on that basis.

Am I right in saying that decision is getting made in the middle of next week?

Edited by Todd_is_God

I'm curious to see what the SG do with shielding at the end of the month. On one hand, the numbers are trending in the right direction to allow us to return to work, but on the other, they are confident they can vaccinate us all by mid february, so I wonder if they will keep us at home an extra month on that basis.
Am I right in saying that decision is getting made in the middle of next week?
The review date regards schools is 18 January.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-update-first-ministers-statement-monday-4-january-2021/

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

But I completely agree with you the school's can be a switch we turn back on as soon as say the over 80s are done we need to see a gradual reintroduction of all sectors where possible i.e children in homes with parents of 1 key worker can return and children with coursework difficult to complete at home can return at the same time outdoor sports and self catering wholly contained holiday let's reopen, as an example.

School opening should be included as part of the regional tiers system. If that means that pupils end up having more in-class lesson time on Barra than in Glasgow before SQA assessment deadlines then that's just tough. It's not worth having the government lecture everyone for weeks about 'stubbornly high' levels of infections yet again because they slapped on a nationwide policy for schools.

School opening should be included as part of the regional tiers system. If that means that pupils end up having more in-class lesson time on Barra than in Glasgow before SQA assessment deadlines then that's just tough. It's not worth having the government lecture everyone for weeks about 'stubbornly high' levels of infections yet again because they slapped on a nationwide policy for schools.
SQA assessment deadlines have effectively gone out the window in any case - it looks increasingly like it will be inferred levels.

_116551282_sundaytimes.jpg

I really, really hope this is only going to be a relatively short-term thing until Easter at the most, and that the UK Government isn't thinking of pivoting to some nonsense alternative Sridhar-esque 'strategy'.

Also, in the fine print there about lifting lockdown - it only seems to be talk of going down the tiers. That's acceptable while vulnerable groups are being vaccinated, but surely it then has to be a case of lifting ALL restrictions once the rollout has had ample time to offer the vaccine to the wider public? We're not back to normal until every single measure is in the bin.

14 minutes ago, Elixir said:

_116551282_sundaytimes.jpg

I really, really hope this is only going to be a relatively short-term thing until Easter at the most, and that the UK Government isn't thinking of pivoting to some nonsense alternative Sridhar-esque 'strategy'.

Also, in the fine print there about lifting lockdown - it only seems to be talk of going down the tiers. That's acceptable while vulnerable groups are being vaccinated, but surely it then has to be a case of lifting ALL restrictions once the rollout has had ample time to offer the vaccine to the wider public? We're not back to normal until every single measure is in the bin.

I read a tweet this morning from a blue tick claiming to be "ITK" suggesting the plan was tight restrictions until end of June, tiers until September, then back into lockdown over winter.

I've dismissed it as unsubstantiated pish, but who knows these days.

Edited by Todd_is_God

18 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The tier 0 needs to actually mean zero now that there are stacks of treatment options available, and should be set based on objective facts rather than giving it to St Kilda and nowhere else for bullshit reasons again.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I read a tweet this morning from a blue tick claiming to be "ITK" suggesting the plan was tight restrictions until end of June, tiers until September, then back into lockdown over winter.

Well, I don't think there's any other reality other than it has to be pish. I genuinely wouldn't see the point in 'living' if so.

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I read a tweet this morning from a blue tick claiming to be "IKN" suggesting the plan was tight restrictions until end of June, tiers until September, then back into lockdown over winter.

The country and a lot of its populace wouldn’t be able to survive that scenario.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Who's the blue tick?

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

The tier 0 needs to actually mean zero now that there are stacks of treatment options available, and should be set based on objective facts rather than giving it to St Kilda and nowhere else for bullshit reasons again.

I worry that people will be so happy to see level 0 as "normal" that they will forget what normal really is. It's not so long ago we had some balloon on this this thread claiming last summer was pretty much normal.