Coronavirus (COVID-19)

16 minutes ago, RiG said:

Leitch on Off the Ball saying that, provided the virus doesn't do anything nasty, they will be "well through" vaccinating the rest of the general population. Can't help but feel that is slightly optimistic but here's hoping...

By when? 

18 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Piece criticising the lockdown skeptic movement.

https://quillette.com/2021/01/16/rise-of-the-coronavirus-cranks/

I know a lot of people don’t like Quilette or the IEA but it’s a good read.

Brilliant article. And totally agree with him on the smiley face thing. That creeps me the f**k out. 

Sorry if this has been asked, but is the vaccine to only be administered in the arm? Ie are drug users who won’t have a vain in their arms allowed to get the jags elsewhere in their body (and would it work the same way?)

Not that this affects me, obviously. The question popped up on one of my group chats.

Edited by Karpaty Lviv

3 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is the vaccine to only be administered in the arm? Ie are drug users who won’t have a vain in their arms allowed to get the jags elsewhere in their body (and would it work the same way?)

Not that this affects me, obviously. The question popped up on one of my group chats.

It doesnt get injected directly into a vein so you can get jagged just like the rest of us in the upper part of your arm 

4 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

It goes in muscle, no vein needed.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Piece criticising the lockdown skeptic movement.

https://quillette.com/2021/01/16/rise-of-the-coronavirus-cranks/

I know a lot of people don’t like Quilette or the IEA but it’s a good read.

Only cranks are against the current lockdown but when we get to March there are going to be some major debates and the Devis of the world are going to be painting anyone who doesn't want to keep restrictions as an extremist. 

Almost nothing is being said about lifting restrictions or any strategy for the Spring onwards. 

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Only cranks are against the current lockdown but when we get to March there are going to be some major debates and the Devis of the world are going to be painting anyone who doesn't want to keep restrictions as an extremist. 

Almost nothing is being said about lifting restrictions or any strategy for the Spring onwards. 

Witty said yesterday that thing should be better by easing of restrictions by Spring, hardly insightful but I thought for someone who is always extremely cautious with his words that this was quite positive. 

The vaccine isn’t intravenous. It’s an injection into muscle ie intramuscular.
Edit. I see others have already clarified this.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A year ago today, Public Health England recommended that travellers to Wuhan wash their hands regularly and... avoid touching dead birds.

Were people not avoiding this before the pandemic?

Live and let live, loon, live and let live.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

Has anyone heard of this publicised in the UK ?

Some care homes are using the extra dose contained in every vial of Pfizer vaccine to vaccinate the relatives of residents, according to the head of one home network.

Since the vaccine was first rolled out, it has been known that a vial of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, the first to be approved in the EU, contains six and sometimes even seven doses, instead of the five doses intended.

Yeah, this is what our peer-to-peer staff vaccination teams have been doing. There's no guarantee they can always squeeze another dose out of the vial, so they don't rely on it, but if they have left over doses after the booked appointments, they go looking for unvaccinated staff and offer them a jag.

Edited by Cyclizine