Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Holy cow those French numbers!

Unfortunately the Thais do whatever the doctors says, no questions, zero. 

For example (I may have posted this before).  About 8 years ago, I had a mosquito bite on my left ankle which became infected and was quite swollen.  I went to the village (private) doctor in the evening.  I explained to him what it was and asked for some  antibiotics.  He examined me and said he thinks my ankle is broken and I should get an x-ray (more money).  I told him to bold and stood up and limped out his practice, my wife was black affronted and went over to the doctor to apologise to him for my behaviour.....I went to the chemist and bought the drugs over the counter.  Cleared up within a week.

They do this to everyone and they just go along with it....They don't have a clue what any of the medication they are taking, they just take it.  You just get a clear pouch with pills(no markings), a sticker with the doctor writes when to take them.  If you have more than one different pill to take, they make sure they are different coloured pills, so you don't get mixed up.  You can ask for medication of your choice, but they don't like you doing that, as they know best.  Plus everyone get paracetamol with every prescription (I'm allergic) and they still give it to me.    

Edited by SlipperyP

Guest TheJTS98
27 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Unfortunately the Thais do whatever the doctors says, no questions, zero. 

For example (I may have posted this before).  About 8 years ago, I had a mosquito bite on my left ankle which became infected and was quite swollen.  I went to the village (private) doctor in the evening.  I explained to him what it was and asked for some  antibiotics.  He examined me and said he thinks my ankle is broken and I should get an x-ray (more money).  I told him to bold and stood up and limped out his practice, my wife was black affronted and went over to the doctor to apologise to him for my behaviour.....I went to the chemist and bought the drugs over the counter.  Cleared up within a week.

They do this to everyone and they just go along with it....They don't have a clue what any of the medication they are taking, they just take it.  You just get a clear pouch with pills(no markings), a sticker with the doctor writes when to take them.  If you have more than one different pill to take, they make sure they are different coloured pills, so you don't get mixed up.  You can ask for medication of your choice, but they don't like you doing that, as they know best.  Plus everyone get paracetamol with every prescription (I'm allergic) and they still give it to me.    

Malaysian equivalent of this is the private hospitals' obsession with MRI scans. Obviously, the most expensive thing they can offer on a daily basis.

Go in with a sore head. They'll try to bully you into an immediate MRI. Sore Knee? MRI. A cough? MRI. Obviously broken toe (as I had last year)? MRI.

I actually couldn't avoid a laugh last time I was in (for the broken toe). I'd shown him my foot, he'd done the x-ray, he'd shown me the break, and he'd told me basically just to rest as there's nothing to be done. Then, just as I'm standing up to leave, "If you'd like more peace of mind, we can offer you an MRI...". I told him I wondered what had taken so long. The joys of private health.

Read something interesting this morning, pertinent to the chat about herd immunity. The ‘Herd immunity Policy’ has taken this mythic status, the idea that evil Tories sat down and planned to kill thousands of people with Dominic Cummings somehow in charge. However, at the time a lot of more acceptable people (including the cuddly Scottish Government, who love all its citizens and don’t want any of us to die of anything, ever) promoted the term Flatten the curve. Flattening the curve is a herd immunity strategy with mitigation to prevent health services becoming overrun. The curve is flattened on the way to herd immunity. That is what this graph, seen very frequently last year, shows

IMG_1239.jpg

I recall the main clinical advisor to the Scottish Government drawing this graph on a flip chart on the news discussing why the SG were taking the approach they were - allowing concerts, football matches, keeping schools open etc.

16 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

For all we can disagree over things the Scottish government has done I think we can all agree that we are fortunate not to he governed by Welsh Labour.

There's folk cutting about who'd bafflingly argue they're taking the right approach.

"Rather than distribute as soon as possible"..... Fucking hell....

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Ah well at least we can look forward to the summer, warm days and some lovely ice cre...

Saw this last night and meant to post, but was busy with other stuff (Morton v Dunfermline!).

Virologist says it's a one-off, but find myself thinking "Really?"

Would answer a lot of it's being harboured on foodstuff

2 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Saw this last night and meant to post, but was busy with other stuff (Morton v Dunfermline!).

Virologist says it's a one-off, but find myself thinking "Really?"

Would answer a lot of it's being harboured on foodstuff

The Chinese claim to have found it on imported frozen seafood several times. From the issues in various refrigerated  food production facilities it does seem to be a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
10 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:
I haven't saw this. Any idea where the 11 locations are going to be? 

Not yet. Will post them if I get wind of that. It's from an internal SAC memo I was given a sight of so won't post the actual document but will share on here the info once or if I can get it.

ITK

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Read something interesting this morning, pertinent to the chat about herd immunity. The ‘Herd immunity Policy’ has taken this mythic status, the idea that evil Tories sat down and planned to kill thousands of people with Dominic Cummings somehow in charge. However, at the time a lot of more acceptable people (including the cuddly Scottish Government, who love all its citizens and don’t want any of us to die of anything, ever) promoted the term Flatten the curve. Flattening the curve is a herd immunity strategy with mitigation to prevent health services becoming overrun. The curve is flattened on the way to herd immunity. That is what this graph, seen very frequently last year, shows

IMG_1239.jpg

I recall the main clinical advisor to the Scottish Government drawing this graph on a flip chart on the news discussing why the SG were taking the approach they were - allowing concerts, football matches, keeping schools open etc.

I don't remember SG talking about flattening the curve but there's no doubt Jason Leitch was fully committed to herd immunity and went on TV to try to push it to the public and sell it to us.  That would explain things like football games going ahead though.

However by the summer Scotgov was talking about suppression and openly diverging from UK model, which is probably why we have half the number of deaths.

I wouldn't be outraged by someone claiming Scotgov adopted this though initially, it would make a lot of sense and explain quite a lot.

There's no doubt UK govt is still pursuing this today just pretending it isn't.  

Just watching the vaccinations from Stonehaven on the BBC news. 
I realise that they're dealing only with older people here, but I get the impression that often that the nurses are sitting down with them and chatting through their day for 15 to 20 mins or so. 
No offence meant, but for FFS just sit them down, stick the needle in, and get them out. To reach government targets, we're going to have to vaccinate more people, and do it quicker. 
They're vaccinating 300 people per day, but it looked like there were at least 8 stations available. Meaning that each station is vaccinating less that 40 people in an 8 hour period. 
5 an hour ? 
Maybe there's a general lack of vaccines available and they can't do anymore than that ? 
600 over a weekend in a town that size is excellent. If we ramp it up to that level that's about 5% of the whole town at 1 location in 1 weekend. If that was to be repeated country wide we would be absolutely flying.