Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In an ideal world closing borders indefinitely in the middle of a global pandemic would be 100% the right thing to do , however once the vulnerable have all been vaccinated the question arises as to why this would need to continue ?

In our current situation when the virus is rife, then Yes borders need to be closed and without a doubt should have been closed much earlier, but fast forward to April / May and if vaccines have continued to be rolled out and figures are down to under 50 in every 100,000, then I see no reason why the borders shouldn't be reopened with reciprocal agreements with countries in a similar situation to ourselves.

Otherwise, what's the end game ? Covid is reckoned to be with us forever so would borders then be closed forever ? Economically and from a mental health perspective, this simply could not happen.

I know it’s early days but most other countries don’t seem to be anywhere close to having our level of vaccination.

Could be holidays in Israel all round.  If we all book them there could be a group discount.

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Pfizer seem to be warning of some production delays down the line. Germany seem to have gone public on it and Pfizer seem to be confirming trouble ahead but it's unclear which countries will be most impacted.

Can't they round some forced Labour up from somewhere?

EU considers Covid-19 vaccination passport to travel

Friday, 15 January 2021

view-22.jpg
Credit: Belga

Commission President Ursula von der Leyen is in favour of a vaccination certificate that would be recognised in all Member States of the European Union.

“It is absolutely necessary to have a certificate when you are vaccinated,” said Von der Leyen said at a press conference with Portuguese Prime Minister António Costa on Friday. “That is a medical necessity.”

Political and legal questions about what rights would possibly be attached to such a vaccine certificate or passport, however, should be discussed during a debate, according to Von der Leyen.

Several Member States have already warned that such a passport could become a source of discrimination, as it could allow holders to be able to travel around Europe freely, while others still waiting their turn for vaccination will not have that same right.

“It is always important to find a fair balance. For example, you can combine a certificate with a negative coronavirus test for those who have not yet had access to a vaccine,” von der Leyen suggested, calling for agreements at the European level.

The proposal was being pushed by Greek prime minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, but several other EU members, including Germany, are wary of the idea.

However, Mitsotakis, whose country’s economy heavily relies on travel and tourism, stated that vaccination would not be an explicit condition for travel, but that a guarantee of unhindered travel could motivate people to get vaccinated.

On Thursday 21 January, the heads of government will meet over videoconference to discuss the latest developments in the coronavirus crisis and the possibility of such a passport.

Using a possible seventh “bonus dose” that can be taken from the vials from the Pfizer vaccine is no longer permitted, according to the Agency for Care and Health.

Pfizer’s vials contain five doses as standard, but with a special type of syringe, it is possible to get six full doses, and exceptionally even seven.

This sixth dose – called a bonus dose – already provided Flanders with more than 5,000 extra vaccinations. That one is still allowed, but the occasional seventh dose can no longer be administered.

The decision has nothing to do with the quality of the seventh dose, as the seventh dose is just as effective as the first one, according to the Agency.

However, there is no guarantee that these people can also get their second injection, as it is not certain that two extra doses can again be taken from the vial at that point.

For the facilities that have already administered several of these seventh doses, the agency is now working on a solution, as providing an extra vial for the second round is not possible.

Maïthé Chini
The Brussels Times

24 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I just wish I could understand the 'obsession' if it's not going to prolong the pandemic in any meaningful way. Obviously mutations need to be monitored, while changes like increased transmission rates are apparent and the need to update vaccines in the long-term is expected.

I was addressing the point you were making that mutations happen all the time and don't get reported, implying these are being reported for nefarious purposes. 

I was sharing the info (not that I even almost understand the nitty gritty) that there is actual science behind the concerns, that goes beyond "viruses mutate all the time lol" in that these variants have multiple mutations across concerning spikes (limits of my knowledge here) and epidemogists are genuinely concerned that they will increase infectiousness or severity of disease.

They currently don't seem to be too concerned that vaccines will not be effective against them, but that doesn't mean in the meantime before the vaccination process is complete that it's not, globally, a genuine cause for concern. I didn't mention anything about the epidemic going on forever. 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by madwullie

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I have moments when I wonder if this will actually. We probably all do in fairness.

However, whilst it will in all probability end one day, I'm coming round to thinking this could be a 5 - 10 year thing. 

If you are talking about achieving the "zero covid" fantasy, then you might be right.

In terms of having restrictions on peoples lives, and strangling economies in the process, then no. It's unsustainable, and in literally nobody's best interest.

People will likely be dying from it in years to come, but at a fraction of the rate they are just now, to the point that it will fall under the same "acceptable risk" level as pretty much everything else.

Edited by Todd_is_God

30 minutes ago, Elixir said:

As much as I love to travel, my biggest worry with border closures is the affect it has on my partner and her family abroad.

And there will be hundreds of thousands of people for which this is a constant worry. When will they see each other again?

You can still travel for essential purposes...but on the way back you will need proof of a negative test and 10 days of isolation 

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness I've got a vested interest here as have a Golf holiday booked to Catalonia in May !!

As I understand it you can go play golf abroad right now.  I believe all you have to do is explain it’s “elite” and everything is OK.  Don’t worry, even though it will be an elite golf break you are still permitted to sit around the pool drinking lager with your mates.  I’ve attached a picture for you to stick on your suitcase to avoid any awkward questions at the airport.

72F01834-D144-4F81-9BAB-8590A55C8F09.jpeg

Edited by Shadow Play

18 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

You can still travel for essential purposes...but on the way back you will need proof of a negative test and 10 days of isolation 

That's the thing, she's at university and is also working part-time in a supermarket meanwhile, so can't really.

I don't know how to reason with people like you I really don't.  There's the actual prime minister going live on TV to say we are pursuing herd immunity, and that's not enough for you. You're a lost cause.

The UK government are planning to vaccinate over 50% of the population. Is that not the definition “pursuing herd immunity”?

36 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I was addressing the point you were making that mutations happen all the time and don't get reported, implying these are being reported for nefarious purposes. 

I was sharing the info (not that I even almost understand the nitty gritty) that there is actual science behind the concerns, that goes beyond "viruses mutate all the time lol" in that these variants have multiple mutations across concerning spikes (limits of my knowledge here) and epidemogists are genuinely concerned that they will increase infectiousness or severity of disease.

They currently don't seem to be too concerned that vaccines will not be effective against them, but that doesn't mean in the meantime before the vaccination process is complete that it's not, globally, a genuine cause for concern. I didn't mention anything about the epidemic going on forever. 🤷‍♂️ 

I wasn't having a go at you.

48 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

Boris boosting about vaccinating less than 40% of care home residents while Scotland has vaccinated 80-90% of residents.   He was insistent Pfizer couldn't be used in care homes for logistical reasons and the SG just got on with the job.  

I’ve got a horrible feeling that you’re being serious here.