Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Read the thread I posted earlier

An epidemiologist outlines that yes, many many variants arise but these particular variants cause concerns. Just because it is dumbed down for the reporting doesn't mean there isn't solid, actual science behind the concerns. 

Edit: here

Pandemics do end, though.

8 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Awesome another pandb expert. This is what the WHO advise, and Sage. But I suppose you know better than them as always on here.

The European Centre for Disease Prevention certainly don't see any point in border restrictions at this point. The epidemic is rife everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Pfizer seem to be warning of some production delays down the line. Germany seem to have gone public on it and Pfizer seem to be confirming trouble ahead but it's unclear which countries will be most impacted.

It's supposed to be a temporary thing so they can beef up production and get the new process approved. Think it only affects Europe but I don't know if that includes the UK anymore.

10 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Awesome another pandb expert. This is what the WHO advise, and Sage. But I suppose you know better than them as always on here.

I'm sure you'll have some statistics to hand outlining  how much of an impact this will have on case numbers. 

Just now, Michael W said:

I'm sure you'll have some statistics to hand outlining  how much of an impact this will have on case numbers. 

Of course not. I defer to the people that do. That's been my point all along. Its you questioning them, so presumably you have some evidence to base that on?  

Anyway, we both know you don't and were sounding off cause you've probably got a holdiay booked, so lets no go down that rabbit hole again.  I just object to stuff like that.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Of course not. I defer to the people that do. That's been my point all along. Its you questioning them, so presumably you have some evidence to base that on?  

Anyway, we both know you don't and were sounding off cause you've probably got a holdiay booked, so lets no go down that rabbit hole again.  I just object to stuff like that.

In an ideal world closing borders indefinitely in the middle of a global pandemic would be 100% the right thing to do , however once the vulnerable have all been vaccinated the question arises as to why this would need to continue ?

In our current situation when the virus is rife, then Yes borders need to be closed and without a doubt should have been closed much earlier, but fast forward to April / May and if vaccines have continued to be rolled out and figures are down to under 50 in every 100,000, then I see no reason why the borders shouldn't be reopened with reciprocal agreements with countries in a similar situation to ourselves.

Otherwise, what's the end game ? Covid is reckoned to be with us forever so would borders then be closed forever ? Economically and from a mental health perspective, this simply could not happen.

1 minute ago, madwullie said:

Eh? Of course they do? 

I just wish I could understand the 'obsession' if it's not going to prolong the pandemic in any meaningful way. Obviously mutations need to be monitored, while changes like increased transmission rates are apparent and the need to update vaccines in the long-term is expected.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

In an ideal world closing borders indefinitely in the middle of a global pandemic would be 100% the right thing to do , however once the vulnerable have all been vaccinated the question arises as to why this would need to continue ?

In our current situation when the virus is rife, then Yes borders need to be closed and without a doubt should have been closed much earlier, but fast forward to April / May and if vaccines have continued to be rolled out and figures are down to under 50 in every 100,000, then I see no reason why the borders shouldn't be reopened with reciprocal agreements with countries in a similar situation to ourselves.

Otherwise, what's the end game ? Covid is reckoned to be with us forever so would borders then be closed forever ? Economically and from a mental health perspective, this simply could not happen.

Totally agree, perfectly reasonable stance.  I wouldn't expect restrictions to last forever, but they can't put an end date on it right now nobody can. 

As much as I love to travel, my biggest worry with border closures is the affect it has on my partner and her family abroad.

And there will be hundreds of thousands of people for which this is a constant worry. When will they see each other again?

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Totally agree, perfectly reasonable stance.  I wouldn't expect restrictions to last forever, but they can't put an end date on it right now nobody can. 

In fairness I've got a vested interest here as have a Golf holiday booked to Catalonia in May !!