Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Probably been mentioned at some point on here but is there anything preventing private clinics performing vaccinations to people who are prepared to pay for one?

I'm sure there are plenty affluent people who don't fall into the vulnerable category that could be immunised sooner and quicken the process. Seems nonsensical that the NHS should take all the burden for this if there are other pathways open

2 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Probably been mentioned at some point on here but is there anything preventing private clinics performing vaccinations to people who are prepared to pay for one?

I'm sure there are plenty affluent people who don't fall into the vulnerable category that could be immunised sooner and quicken the process. Seems nonsensical that the NHS should take all the burden for this if there are other pathways open

Yes, the vaccine is very difficult to source so it's being sourced and administered on the basis of most vulnerable, otherwise it would turn into a 2 tier society where you'd only be saved based upon your bank balance.

I'm fairly sure that I read that this option had banned by the government, that all doses bought were for NHS use only with no queue jumping allowed.

Not sure how that would work if a large private health firm like Bupa, for example, were to buy stocks from the suppliers directly mind - unless that's also banned.

Yes, the vaccine is very difficult to source so it's being sourced and administered on the basis of most vulnerable, otherwise it would turn into a 2 tier society where you'd only be saved based upon your bank balance.
Or.... you could be saved by the ~99% chance you wont die of this

8 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

25k for flights accom and the vaccine seemingly on offer from a company to the Uae or go for the american queue jump of a rather generous donation to your local care home and your name ends up on the list as you are added to the "staff" list of that care home 😉

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Or.... you could be saved by the ~99% chance you wont die of this

That's another argument, this one was about the morality side of things where only wealth dictated your place in the vaccine queue.

I'm not disputing your figures, however I'd doubt very much that they're "using fear", simply because very few of our population would be able to tell you anything about "R numbers" or what it actually meant.
In a nutshell, they'd be flogging a dead horse.
I'd also reckon that the real "worry" for ordinary people will be created by word of mouth on people they know who've got it or are in hospital or indeed have died, coupled with the daily news pictures and reports from our overwhelmed hospitals and emergency services.
These things all bring it home, not bare stats which the majority wont or can't either read or interpret.
At work, we are using hospital admissions against those 7 days previously as an estimate of the R figure - useful in terms of backtesting our modelling but it is by its nature a backward looking estimate.

2 minutes ago, true_rover said:
44 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
I'm not disputing your figures, however I'd doubt very much that they're "using fear", simply because very few of our population would be able to tell you anything about "R numbers" or what it actually meant.
In a nutshell, they'd be flogging a dead horse.
I'd also reckon that the real "worry" for ordinary people will be created by word of mouth on people they know who've got it or are in hospital or indeed have died, coupled with the daily news pictures and reports from our overwhelmed hospitals and emergency services.
These things all bring it home, not bare stats which the majority wont or can't either read or interpret.

At work, we are using hospital admissions against those 7 days previously as an estimate of the R figure - useful in terms of backtesting our modelling but it is by its nature a backward looking estimate.

My biggest gripe about the "R" number is that it has me talking like a pirate for the rest of the day.........

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

25k for flights accom and the vaccine seemingly on offer from a company to the Uae or go for the american queue jump of a rather generous donation to your local care home and your name ends up on the list as you are added to the "staff" list of that care home 😉

Slight flaw in either of these options...

...It’s still illegal to leave the country for non-essential purposes.

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Sridhar is clearly panicking about the early results in Israel looking like the end of the limelight for her.

I’m sure when the pandemic is a distant memory she will have a life, a career and a future and you’ll still be sitting in your bed sit battering away at your keyboard and crying yourself to sleep.

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Slight flaw in either of these options...

...It’s still illegal to leave the country for non-essential purposes.

if you have the cash for either of those options an essential work trip would be easy to arrange 

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Shetland Islands  240.0 to 87.3  Down 63.63%

We shall Ignore the Islands for this excercise.

I'm sure that the Shetland Islanders will now be happy to know that they are considered part of the mainland.  This is worse than putting them in a box in the corner of the maps!! 😂  Massive Social media campaign to follow.

Edited by strichener

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

I'm fairly sure that I read that this option had banned by the government, that all doses bought were for NHS use only with no queue jumping allowed.

Not sure how that would work if a large private health firm like Bupa, for example, were to buy stocks from the suppliers directly mind - unless that's also banned.

I think Astra Zeneca said the first phase of deliveries would be no profit and for the 3rd world it would stay that way. Not sure how they define phase 2, maybe after all the over 50s are done, but I suspect they'll start hawking them to BUPA etc then, and you'll be able to jump the queue if you needed it for a holiday or something.

Edited by welshbairn

12 minutes ago, Elixir said:

There are dark days like today when I wonder when this is ever going to end. The fear being ramped up by variants is as if things are starting all over again, when it's not.

Read the thread I posted earlier

An epidemiologist outlines that yes, many many variants arise but these particular variants cause concerns. Just because it is dumbed down for the reporting doesn't mean there isn't solid, actual science behind the concerns. These are variants, not mutations. 

Edit: here

Edited by madwullie