Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The video of Boris Johnson on This Morning saying we should take it on the chin is extremely misleading. In the interview he says immediately after that “that isn’t what we are going to do”.

The U.K. government have made so many mistakes in this pandemic you’d think you would have to make things up but here we are.

Also, I don’t really keep up with this thread but the quote from Devi Sridhar about treating this like the flu surely refers to the pandemic plan, which did treat the virus like the flu and which caused the inappropriate response last spring. The legacy of this is still with us as you can see in the focus on sanitiser and washing hands but not on ventilation which is a far bigger issue with Covid.

It is referring also to the idea that there should be seasonal vaccinations 'like flu' every winter as well, because she is pursuing the rainbow and unicorns idea of magically removing it through ongoing restrictions, when the vast majority of the planet will not be vaccinated by the end of the year.

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I posted earlier the local practices announced they were getting their supplies on Monday although one of them isn't starting jagging for another week after that.

I'm not sure how much control anyone outside the NHS has on how individual GP practices decide to administer their doses.

I expect they time their jag delivery to match supply. My surgery closes down for everything else when their doing it, as they did for flu jags, so they couldn't afford to do it 7 days a week, that will be for bigger centres. I think they counted up the over eighties and ordered supplies accordingly, and have probably already ordered for the next tranche.

P.S. Here's the reply I got after asking why I couldn't get a jag at the same time when I wheel my Mum around for hers on Tuesday. I quite like the bluntness.:lol:

Good afternoon,

Due to the supply of the COVID-19 vaccine, we only have enough ordered for our patients that are over 80years old at this moment.
The government has instructed us to give the vaccine in age order so that is what we will be doing. When you are due your vaccine, we will send you a letter. If we gave you one, then we would be taking a vaccination away from someone over 80years old. 

Kind Regards

Edited by welshbairn

For all NZ got right and all we got wrong, it's a bit daft comparing the UK with a country so isolated in the South Pacific it's often missed out on world maps.

Can’t say I agree with this. An island is an island doesn’t really matter how isolated it is. You can stop planes flying in and ferries docking just as easily in the UK as New Zealand.
It was a question of will and realising the enormity of the problem we were facing. Johnson failed miserably.

16 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Pretty sure that Care Homes haven't been prioritised in England, either for residents or staff, as it takes longer per capita to get jabs into arms. Kind of playing to the kind of simpleton whoi just takes a look at the numbers without wondering about the reasons for those numbers. 

Pretty sure, also, that rumblings are being reported of a revival of the "shunt the coffin dodgers into homes" tactic in Johnson's Union Jack Utopia.

2 days ago UK were stating 70/80% of over 80's jabbed, Radio Scotland stated we were at 2%, pretty obvious we're taking a different route, Boris and Co have been going for headlines ever since they managed to get that 1st vaccine passed, 1st person jabbed at 5:30 am or similar just to be 1st,obviously William Shakespeare was supposed to be the 1st recipient, an over exuberant hospital elsewhere fucked that plan up. 

4 hours ago, Snafu said:

But they are working their socks of by just being themselves ????

It's interesting that now people have noticed more and more what level of usefulness other people are now in the grand scheme of things even the penny has suddenly dropped for their fans. I never watch these programs, but I'd have a guess that most of those would have a problem simply making a cup of tea.

Exactly hopefully they slink off out of society as clearly they contribute nothing short of being a major factor in the mental and physical health issues that young girls in particular face.

I don't doubt that someone who travels to the desert from a Covid hot spot is indeed too thick to make a cup of tea.

The Scottish Tories are a right bunch of belters, they spent the last 2 weeks demanding more detailed figures and projections for the vaccine roll out and now that the SG provided this, they're squealing about "national security" and that the SG have broken the ministerial code and are wanting resignations.

Honestly, does anyone actually take them seriously ????

Hancock is just pathetic. He's a million miles away from being a psychopath and I say that as a self confessed Tory hater.
Hancock is a stooge that has absolutely no idea he is a stooge.

And here we are again, this time congratulating the people of West Suffolk on getting up out the house and actively voting for Matt Hancock since 2010. Reptiles.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Tell you what, if you think Scotland are fucking up vaccine delivery, wait until you see mainland Europe.

The effect Brexit has had on the EMA's ability to assess vaccines is a hell of a story.

Mainland Europe are also battling anti Vax in higher levels than we are according to YouGov. Also countries in the EU don't need to wait for EMA certification but are doing so from a view of public health and confidence.

The effect of Brexit may mean that our experts are no longer involved but balance that bit of bad news out with the face we refused to join the EU's purchasing power meaning each vaccine is far less cost effective than the exact same product in the EU.

I would lastly add that England are going for speed above vulnerability and leaving care homes that are too tricky until later. Considering we know care homes can quickly become hot spots for cases and then deaths putting "good looking stats" potentially above residents care is a mistake in my view.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Hancock is just pathetic. He's a million miles away from being a psychopath and I say that as a self confessed Tory hater.

The guys a pathetic cretin but he's displayed numerous traits of a psychopath, mostly on live TV, in the last year. 

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The Scottish Tories are a right bunch of belters, they spent the last 2 weeks demanding more detailed figures and projections for the vaccine roll out and now that the SG provided this, they're squealing about "national security" and that the SG have broken the ministerial code and are wanting resignations.

Honestly, does anyone actually take them seriously ????

National security of numbers of vaccines as if ISIS are thinking "won't bother today it's only 300,000 getting delivered" if I wasn't so sceptical I would imagine the UKg don't want such a clear and comprehensive plan when they haven't published theirs.

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Mainland Europe are also battling anti Vax in higher levels than we are according to YouGov. Also countries in the EU don't need to wait for EMA certification but are doing so from a view of public health and confidence.

The effect of Brexit may mean that our experts are no longer involved but balance that bit of bad news out with the face we refused to join the EU's purchasing power meaning each vaccine is far less cost effective than the exact same product in the EU.

I would lastly add that England are going for speed above vulnerability and leaving care homes that are too tricky until later. Considering we know care homes can quickly become hot spots for cases and then deaths putting "good looking stats" potentially above residents care is a mistake in my view.

IIRC, the EMA was actually based in London, so when Brexit hit most of the people working at the EMA simply joined the UK regulator. The European Commission then had to recruit nearly an entire new EMA. Which is why Europe is miles behind the UK in approving vaccines, and therefore miles behind in delivering them.

The UK offered to share their findings with the EU, but this was rejected on the basis that the EU wanted to do it's own assessment.

Just now, 101 said:

This was exactly my point last night about why I can't see "health passports" becoming the norm, simply because you'd potentially be excluding 40% of your population from much of your economy.

Public Health is a serious issue, however Economics generally wins through in the end.

Having said this, maybe more draconian measures are required to ensure people are indeed vaccinated for the greater good but then again you're walking a dangerous path from a human and civil rights perspective, not to mention a legal perspective.

4 minutes ago, 101 said:

National security of numbers of vaccines as if ISIS are thinking "won't bother today it's only 300,000 getting delivered" if I wasn't so sceptical I would imagine the UKg don't want such a clear and comprehensive plan when they haven't published theirs.

There's another school of thought that we're getting more than we're actually entitled to and they don't want "outed" ??

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

2 days ago UK were stating 70/80% of over 80's jabbed, Radio Scotland stated we were at 2%, pretty obvious we're taking a different route, Boris and Co have been going for headlines ever since they managed to get that 1st vaccine passed, 1st person jabbed at 5:30 am or similar just to be 1st,obviously William Shakespeare was supposed to be the 1st recipient, an over exuberant hospital elsewhere fucked that plan up. 

This, and the comparison made with New Zealand, show exactly how venal and deperately incompetent this fúcking circus in Government are. Where there are examples all over the world (with the glaring exceptions of USA, Brazil, Belarus and , er, UK) of Governments taking prompt , difficult decisions which prioritise the fight against this virus, Johnson has, at every step, asked himself, "How will this look on the front page of the Mail?". It has been played all the way along as political theatre and a PR exercise - "world beating", "Project Moonshot", "clap for fucking heroes*" Uncle fucking Tom and all. Meanwhile, the death toll continues to rise as the media reports the UKG taking prompt action by banning flights from a select few countries TEN FUCKING MONTHS after they should have imposed at least rigorous border checks if not a complete ban.

Some of my mates, ribbing me due to my left-leaning politics (or common human decency, as I see it) asked me, laughing, "well, what would Corbyn have done?" The answer to which question is, simply, he (or whoever led a Labour Government) would have dealt with this as a Public Health Crisis, not as an endless procession of profit opportunities. Labour may well have fúcked things up, but they wouldn't have done so because RLB's cousin was churning out hooky PPE from a shed in Eccles, or because Ian Lavery knew a guy who reckoned he could run a T&T system on Excel from his laptop.

What the fúck is it going to take for the GBP to get with the torches and pitchforks?

*Apparently, I am one of these "heroes". Well, with the greatest of respect, FB Maws, shove your applause up your arse and vote for a party who won't cut your "heroes" pay and conditions. If you could do that, that would be nice. xo

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

There's another school of thought that we're getting more than we're actually entitled to and they don't want "outed" ??

I would say it looked about right depends what NI and Wales got.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This was exactly my point last night about why I can't see "health passports" becoming the norm, simply because you'd potentially be excluding 40% of your population from much of your economy.

Public Health is a serious issue, however Economics generally wins through in the end.

Having said this, maybe more draconian measures are required to ensure people are indeed vaccinated for the greater good but then again you're walking a dangerous path from a human and civil rights perspective, not to mention a legal perspective.

Poland was like 27% in favour. I think countries and it's citizens might face restrictions but agree it won't be down to granular levels of individual passports

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

IIRC, the EMA was actually based in London, so when Brexit hit most of the people working at the EMA simply joined the UK regulator. The European Commission then had to recruit nearly an entire new EMA. Which is why Europe is miles behind the UK in approving vaccines, and therefore miles behind in delivering them.

The UK offered to share their findings with the EU, but this was rejected on the basis that the EU wanted to do it's own assessment.

It was in London I think but moved pretty quickly after the vote. I don't know why the EU didn't leave it up to individual countries to certify it which they will be doing anyway.