Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Dont know about you but I wouldnt expect a statistician to be able to determine the relative merits of two parties qualifications and work experience.  Really think that we're going to need the opinion of someone with dual Phds in the educational and employment consultancy fields.

Check mate to Carnoustie Young Governer.  Who is just showing off his role as a qualified consultant psychiatrist banding about diagnoses of psychopathy/sociopathy.

No I'm quoting actual research in the field.  Psychopaths are drawn to politics and excel in it due to the particular traits typical of a psychopath. 

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

The government. Watch this

There you have two governments, faced with the same situation. Pretty much identical set of circumstances, rich island nation with the same amount of time to prepare.

One pursued a path of saving as many lives as possible, stating that thousands of their citizens dying was unconscionable and they would do everything they possibly could to prevent this.  Currently at 29 deaths.

The other pursued a path they were told by the experts would lead to tens of thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths.  Currently at about 103 thousand deaths.  

Who does that?  A fuckin psychopath does that. Normal people don't. If you were faced with that choice would you take the path you knew was guaranteed to kill tens of thousands of people?  Me neither, but our government did.

Studies actually show at the highest levels of politics and business, psychopaths and socipaths are something ridiculous like 200 times more prevalent than they are in general society.  These people really are genuine, bona-fide psychopaths. That's what they are.

Same people before Covid had killed around 150 thousand of their own citizens through austerity. Do you know what their response to that was? They blocked an investigation into it, and continued implementing the same policies. They are genuine psychopaths. If you were told something you were doing had killed a hundred and fifty thousand people, would you continue doing it and block an investigation into it?  Me neither, but they did.

The Tories are a combination of psychopaths (Bojo, JRM), sociopaths (IDS) and useful idiots (Francois). That's what these people are, not figuratively, literally.

That video, with carefully edited soundbites, is not evidence that the UK government were pursuing a herd immunity strategy.

Asking yourself some simple questions like “when were these things said?” and “in what context were these things said?”

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
The government. Watch this
There you have two governments, faced with the same situation. Pretty much identical set of circumstances, rich island nation with the same amount of time to prepare.
One pursued a path of saving as many lives as possible, stating that thousands of their citizens dying was unconscionable and they would do everything they possibly could to prevent this.  Currently at 29 deaths.
The other pursued a path they were told by the experts would lead to tens of thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths.  Currently at about 103 thousand deaths.  
Who does that?  A fuckin psychopath does that. Normal people don't. If you were faced with that choice would you take the path you knew was guaranteed to kill tens of thousands of people?  Me neither, but our government did.
Studies actually show at the highest levels of politics and business, psychopaths and socipaths are something ridiculous like 200 times more prevalent than they are in general society.  These people really are genuine, bona-fide psychopaths. That's what they are.
Same people before Covid had killed around 150 thousand of their own citizens through austerity. Do you know what their response to that was? They blocked an investigation into it, and continued implementing the same policies. They are genuine psychopaths. If you were told something you were doing had killed a hundred and fifty thousand people, would you continue doing it and block an investigation into it?  Me neither, but they did.
The Tories are a combination of psychopaths (Bojo, JRM), sociopaths (IDS) and useful idiots (Francois). That's what these people are, not figuratively, literally.

Pre prepared cut and paste shite which didn't answer my question in the slightest.

You just can't accept the answer.  No cut and paste, you asked who I'm calling a psychopath, I explained who and why.  Whether you accept that or not is neither here nor there.

I don't get this "we're focusing on care homes first, that's why it's only 16k per day" I presume those who are delivering the vaccine will not be the majority of vaccinators. Where are the rest? What are they doing? I totally get that the care homes are a priority and staff, but surely we could be ramping it up else where too with the 1000 centres apparently ready to go.

I understand how it works in Scotland. It works by falling well behind the rest of the UK which to be fair, comes as absolutely no surprise. There are none so blind as those who will not see. 
One is prioritising Care Homes and the house bound one isn't. Hardly surprising one is ahead of the other.

Yet again they stand at the podium and tell us they are on target. Some are willing to be optimistic and give them the benefit of the doubt others, for varying reasons, are not.

We all know your MO so no one is surprised at your take on it.

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

That video, with carefully edited soundbites, is not evidence that the UK government were pursuing a herd immunity strategy.

Asking yourself some simple questions like “when were these things said?” and “in what context were these things said?”

I don't know how to reason with people like you I really don't.  There's the actual prime minister going live on TV to say we are pursuing herd immunity, and that's not enough for you. You're a lost cause.

Just now, Scosha said:

I don't get this "we're focusing on care homes first, that's why it's only 16k per day" I presume those who are delivering the vaccine will not be the majority of vaccinators. Where are the rest? What are they doing? I totally get that the care homes are a priority and staff, but surely we could be ramping it up else where too with the 1000 centres apparently ready to go.

Most of the centres I think are GP surgeries which are kicking in as we speak.

10 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have no idea how they arrive at it, so that's why I defer to the experts and dismiss people questioning them on a football forum.

Then you have no business being on the 'General Nonsense' section of a Scottish football forum champ. Jog on.

2 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I don't know how to reason with people like you I really don't.  There's the actual prime minister going live on TV to say we are pursuing herd immunity, and that's not enough for you. You're a lost cause.

No it isn’t.  He said “perhaps”.  That would lead me to believe there’s a but coming so would need better context to validate what he actually said.

I posted earlier the local practices announced they were getting their supplies on Monday although one of them isn't starting jagging for another week after that.

I'm not sure how much control anyone outside the NHS has on how individual GP practices decide to administer their doses.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

From my Dads discussion with the practice nurse at GPs this morning - big roll out this weekend for the under 80 categories using sports halls etc but coordinated by the practice.

Lots of GPs going to be doing big weekend pushes to allow the everyday stuff to function as much as is possible in current situation. 

44 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
54 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
I don't think so actually.  I think they aren't that stupid but are happy for people to think its incompetence.
If you look at their actions all the way through this they have done this, they have chosen courses of action that have caused increased spread and cases to increase. 
This is because they are pursuing a path of herd immunity, so I would imagine the plan was keep the planes flying for a few days make sure we get that strain too then stop them and go 'awww we were just too late, again, can you believe how unlucky we are?'
Its the same with everything with Tories. People make the mistake of believing they are decent people who are just incompetent or have different ideas about how to go about things. They aren't decent people, they are absolute monsters, and when you look at it like that their actions in every area make much more sense.

That's bollocks. You are basically saying they are intentionally importing more virulent strains knowing full well the NHS is already at breaking point. They might be incompetent but they aren't psychopaths.

I think you've got that the wrong way round, BJK.

The video of Boris Johnson on This Morning saying we should take it on the chin is extremely misleading. In the interview he says immediately after that “that isn’t what we are going to do”.

The U.K. government have made so many mistakes in this pandemic you’d think you would have to make things up but here we are.

Also, I don’t really keep up with this thread but the quote from Devi Sridhar about treating this like the flu surely refers to the pandemic plan, which did treat the virus like the flu and which caused the inappropriate response last spring. The legacy of this is still with us as you can see in the focus on sanitiser and washing hands but not on ventilation which is a far bigger issue with Covid.