Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The WHO said it had nothing to do with the new variant at all, and the increase was due to an increase in household mixing.
Unsurprisingly, with schools being closed now for over 3 weeks, and the Christmas shopping rush over, the R rate is decreasing again.
The WHO didn't actually say that. They said it was the case "in some countries" without then saying which countries they were referring to.

c16k vaccinated yesterday. Keeping pace at this rate I presume until all the over 80s are done and then can begin to ramp up once bigger centres come available for the lower priority tiers
Yes it must be a pretty onerous task getting round every care home but once those have been completed it will ramp up. From purely anecdotal local evidence it seems community rollout starts from next week in one practice with the other starting the week after.

Listening to Cringe Freelunch giving out the figures pretty much now confirms, that they are failing miserably administering vaccines. 
An absolute shambles but not surprising given the ineptitude of these people.
Another idiot who simply doesn't (want to) understand how the program works.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:
Listening to Cringe Freelunch giving out the figures pretty much now confirms, that they are failing miserably administering vaccines. 
An absolute shambles but not surprising given the ineptitude of these people.

Another idiot who simply doesn't (want to) understand the program works.

I admire your unfaltering confidence in the SG getting this right.

Someone asked me months ago what it would take to convince me to vote for them again in May. 

Delivering on this would do it.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

The UK is still making its 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS, says Professor , chair of Global Public Health. Follow live #coronavirus updates

news.sky.com

UK is making 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS

Professor Devi Sridhar,chair of Global Public Health, has had this to say on Twitter...

Biggest mistake UK made (& continues to make) is seeing COVID like flu that will become seasonal & come back each winter rather than like SARS to push to eliminate. Aside from lives & NHS strain, economy & children are paying an unacceptably high cost for this approach.

— Prof. Devi Sridhar (@devisridhar) January 13, 2021

She is so dangerous.

Leitch and Smith are in lockstep with what's happening in England, so thankfully the one redeeming thing is her nightmare ideal will be straight in the bin.

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

That's not what she's saying though. 

I don't agree with her, but her point is it isn't flu, but if we treat it as such (seasonal, inevitable) then we will end up taking measures each year to counter it, whereas if we get rid of it now that won't need to be the case. 

It ignores the fact, though, that vaccination should mean it isn't as severe or as prevalent and therefore strict measures won't be required. 

It also ignores the fact that the vaccines are far more effective than those for influenza, and the evidence is now quite clear that even as and when re-infections occur they will be mild in nature. Nor will new strains or lineages lead to never ending epidemics.

Hers is a fringe, pseudoscientific view, and she's not an epidemiologist or virologist. She's a nutritionist and the type of clown in normal times we would all ignore for telling us to not eat too much red meat.

14 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
19 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Erm....yes they are, without question.  Psychopaths and sociopaths is exactly what they are.

WoW ! And who does this description extend to within the UK wide response ?

The government. Watch this

There you have two governments, faced with the same situation. Pretty much identical set of circumstances, rich island nation with the same amount of time to prepare.

One pursued a path of saving as many lives as possible, stating that thousands of their citizens dying was unconscionable and they would do everything they possibly could to prevent this.  Currently at 29 deaths.

The other pursued a path they were told by the experts would lead to tens of thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths.  Currently at about 103 thousand deaths.  

Who does that?  A fuckin psychopath does that. Normal people don't. If you were faced with that choice would you take the path you knew was guaranteed to kill tens of thousands of people?  Me neither, but our government did.

Studies actually show at the highest levels of politics and business, psychopaths and socipaths are something ridiculous like 200 times more prevalent than they are in general society.  These people really are genuine, bona-fide psychopaths. That's what they are.

Same people before Covid had killed around 150 thousand of their own citizens through austerity. Do you know what their response to that was? They blocked an investigation into it, and continued implementing the same policies. They are genuine psychopaths. If you were told something you were doing had killed a hundred and fifty thousand people, would you continue doing it and block an investigation into it?  Me neither, but they did.

The Tories are a combination of psychopaths (Bojo, JRM), sociopaths (IDS) and useful idiots (Francois). That's what these people are, not figuratively, literally.

18 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I've got a PhD in statistics.

But you don't have access to the data do you? And its your judgement a statistician on their own is best placed, I didn't acknowledge that to be the case, I have no idea how they arrive at it, so that's why I defer to the experts and dismiss people questioning them on a football forum.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Another idiot who simply doesn't (want to) understand how the program works.

I understand how it works in Scotland. It works by falling well behind the rest of the UK which to be fair, comes as absolutely no surprise. There are none so blind as those who will not see. 

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

This'll be tough to beat in the end of year awards. What a post!

Dont know about you but I wouldnt expect a statistician to be able to determine the relative merits of two parties qualifications and work experience.  Really think that we're going to need the opinion of someone with dual Phds in the educational and employment consultancy fields.

Check mate to Carnoustie Young Governer.  Who is just showing off his role as a qualified consultant psychiatrist banding about diagnoses of psychopathy/sociopathy.

There you have two governments, faced with the same situation. Pretty much identical set of circumstances, rich island nation with the same amount of time to prepare.
One pursued a path of saving as many lives as possible, stating that thousands of their citizens dying was unconscionable and they would do everything they possibly could to prevent this.  Currently at 29 deaths.
The other pursued a path they were told by the experts would lead to tens of thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of deaths.  Currently at about 103 thousand deaths.  
Who does that?  A fuckin psychopath does that. Normal people don't. If you were faced with that choice would you take the path you knew was guaranteed to kill tens of thousands of people?  Me neither, but our government did.
Studies actually show at the highest levels of politics and business, psychopaths and socipaths are something ridiculous like 200 times more prevalent than they are in general society.  These people really are genuine, bona-fide psychopaths. That's what they are.
Same people before Covid had killed around 150 thousand of their own citizens through austerity. Do you know what their response to that was? They blocked an investigation into it, and continued implementing the same policies. They are genuine psychopaths. If you were told something you were doing had killed a hundred and fifty thousand people, would you continue doing it and block an investigation into it?  Me neither, but they did.
The Tories are a combination of psychopaths (Bojo, JRM), sociopaths (IDS) and useful idiots (Francois). That's what these people are, not figuratively, literally.
Pre prepared cut and paste shite which didn't answer my question in the slightest.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Pretty sure that care homes exist in the rest of the UK as well, and I suspect there'd be a significantly larger share of population in that group in Bournemouth than in Calton.

Pretty sure that Care Homes haven't been prioritised in England, either for residents or staff, as it takes longer per capita to get jabs into arms. Kind of playing to the kind of simpleton whoi just takes a look at the numbers without wondering about the reasons for those numbers. 

Pretty sure, also, that rumblings are being reported of a revival of the "shunt the coffin dodgers into homes" tactic in Johnson's Union Jack Utopia.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Pre prepared cut and paste shite which didn't answer my question in the slightest.

Peps current alias reaching

0008512639_10.jpg