Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

:blink:

Aye, we shut down half the UK's economy for flu every year, right enough. Can't believe I've never noticed that before. 

That's not what she's saying though. 

I don't agree with her, but her point is it isn't flu, but if we treat it as such (seasonal, inevitable) then we will end up taking measures each year to counter it, whereas if we get rid of it now that won't need to be the case. 

It ignores the fact, though, that vaccination should mean it isn't as severe or as prevalent and therefore strict measures won't be required. 

Edited by madwullie

33 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I don't agree with her, but her point is it isn't flu, but if we treat it as such (seasonal, inevitable) then we will end up taking measures each year to counter it, whereas if we get rid of it now that won't need to be the case. 

It ignores the fact, though, that vaccination should mean it isn't as severe or as prevalent and therefore strict measures won't be required. 

It obviously isnt flu and I think there is a point to be made that all government pandemic planning was modelled on flu.

I think we've moved beyond treating it like flu with our approach to vaccination whereby all adults in the UK are to be offered the vaccine and would assume that would be repeated should a modified version be necessary at a later date, accompanied by a massive publicity campaign to get maximise public uptake.

Compare that to flu vaccination which is only offered for free to a subset of the population and the most you see is a reminder advert on the TV come flu season.

Even with vaccination, due to the varying rates of effectiveness, the duration of immunity and whether it remains to be seen to what extent it blocks transmission, its simply not possible to eliminate this coronavirus any time soon.  Theres no reason however why seasonal restrictions would be needed if a repeat vaccination programme is available.

Edit to add the word "simp" is chronic patter and best left to edgelords like Paul Joseph Watson and others who need to make it clear they really don't care about not having a girlfriend.

Edited by Aladdin

30 minutes ago, madwullie said:

"Zero Covid" idiot found.

An annual vaccination delivered at the same time as the flu jag is more likely, and acceptable, than continuing to give the "zero covid" fantasist airtime.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Chief Simp couldn't resist I see

Any word on whether we can trust the Scot govt on being asked to withdraw that document yet? Has it been verified by an acceptable source? ie Toby Young, the fat emperor? 

35 minutes ago, madwullie said:

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Zero Covid" idiot found.

An annual vaccination delivered at the same time as the flu jag is more likely, and acceptable, than continuing to give the "zero covid" fantasist airtime.

Not like you to cherry pick. 

Unless your searing take is that devi sridhar believes in zero covid, in which case you've resorted to stating the obvious to call something correctly. 

Edited by madwullie

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not like you to cherry pick. 

Unless your searing take is that devi sridhar believes in zero covid, in which case you've resorted to stating the obvious to call something correctly. 

Aye tbf I've made a c**t of that.

7 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Any word on whether we can trust the Scot govt on being asked to withdraw that document yet? Has it been verified by an acceptable source? ie Toby Young, the fat emperor? 

Talking of unreliable sources.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/14/daily-telegraph-rebuked-over-toby-youngs-herd-immunity-covid-column

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Have we not mostly focused on care homes and staff first which take more time to administer? We've done 80% of residents and 55% of care home staff. I can't remember the stats for down south but it was definitely less.

There was comment to that effect on question time last night. 

Philippa Whitford stated the reason Scotland was falling being the others in percentage terms was the time it was taking in care homes and that sector could be completed in the next week and things would ramp up. She pointed out you can get through big numbers in a big hall but that was not practical with very elderly clients. 

Thats something that has been suggested on here before so lets hope thats the case and in around a week the numbers ramp up.

55 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I don't agree we're treating it like flu at all to be fair. I think it'll be exceptionally hard if not impossible to eradicate it entirely, but she's overlooking that there is actually an exit strategy to this. In fact, the vaccination strategy is the only one that might ever actually lead to zero covid. 

Ultimately it would be great ti get to the stage where we can eradicate it, but vaccine development might take a while to get there, if indeed it does. We have a great chance to totally take the sting out of it at the moment, though. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

There was comment to that effect on question time last night. 

Philippa Whitford stated the reason Scotland was falling being the others in percentage terms was the time it was taking in care homes and that sector could be completed in the next week and things would ramp up. She pointed out you can get through big numbers in a big hall but that was not practical with very elderly clients. 

Thats something that has been suggested on here before so lets hope thats the case and in around a week the numbers ramp up.

Pretty sure that care homes exist in the rest of the UK as well, and I suspect there'd be a significantly larger share of population in that group in Bournemouth than in Calton.

1 hour ago, Big Fifer said:

What is it that the Scottish Government is saying is happening that will cause us to go from 16k vaccinations a day to hundreds of thousands a day? Aren't the doses already good to go? What's going to change to cause this huge increase in numbers?

Well, the plan on the document that was taken down reckons we will go to something like 36k a day sometime between January 23rd and 28th. Assuming a 7 day service that gets us to 1.1 million around February 14th.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Would like the BBC to make it clearer whether the payment applies specifically to the 'disease' category of claim or general business interruption, because at a glance they've conflated the two in that story.