Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest TheJTS98

Just heard a podcast with some economist saying she expects there to be 500,000 fewer births in the USA in 2021 as compared with the expected numbers if covid had never existed.

Good news for 2021 children in terms of class sizes, competition for places in higher education etc, not great news in terms of ageing the population and paying for public services.

Not sure what the UK figures are, but lots of lonely weans.

9 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Birth rates need to decrease across the board anyway, so good news.

No they don't that's ridiculous.  

If anything old people need to die more, but the birth rate definitely does not need to decrease.

I don't subscribe to old people needing to die either, I believe technology will solve all these problems.

27 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Just heard a podcast with some economist saying she expects there to be 500,000 fewer births in the USA in 2021 as compared with the expected numbers if covid had never existed.

Good news for 2021 children in terms of class sizes, competition for places in higher education etc, not great news in terms of ageing the population and paying for public services.

Not sure what the UK figures are, but lots of lonely weans.

If you've been stuck inside with a child during lockdown and you genuinely want to have another, then have lost your damn mind, frankly. 

31 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Birth rates need to decrease across the board anyway, so good news.

To sustain a population you need a birth rate of around 2.1 (as not all children make it to adulthood).  We probably need more than that as we need a larger working population to support an ageing society.

We’re actually struggling here with too low a birth rate.

Birth rate in England and Wales hits record low https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49192445

Guest TheJTS98
29 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'm sure 2022 will more than make up for that if there is no restriction that year.

Apparently that depends on economic recovery. Weans are essentially consumer goods that people have when they can afford, according to economist on radio.

What is it that the Scottish Government is saying is happening that will cause us to go from 16k vaccinations a day to hundreds of thousands a day? Aren't the doses already good to go? What's going to change to cause this huge increase in numbers?

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'm hoping there's more to it than meets the eye in thas rather (on the face of it) rather depressing graph? Anyone able to explain?

image.png.695bd7d853fe2aea77d0370d42b68c18.png

I get the point you are making here, but if you are going to use a graph that covers just three days on here to make it, then i'll come back in a few pages once the simps have replied.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, MP_MFC said:
3 hours ago, Elixir said:
How does it actually work in practice in Glasgow etc, i.e. surely you can have a drink in a park on a summer's day?

Nope. I mean people do, but the polis can make you empty it and or fine you.

Once I was drinking in Kelvingrove with a mate, we got stopped by Police. If its a group of girls probably wont get stopped.

Just now, Big Fifer said:

What is it that the Scottish Government is saying is happening that will cause us to go from 16k vaccinations a day to hundreds of thousands a day? Aren't the doses already good to go? What's going to change to cause this huge increase in numbers?

We need to get to around 57k per day to hit our target (assuming 7 days per week).

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I'm hoping there's more to it than meets the eye in thas rather (on the face of it) rather depressing graph? Anyone able to explain?

It's a three day snap shot......but I suspect you knew that. 

As an aside, my dad has just messaged me to say he and my mum are getting their jags on Sunday at GPs. They are fit, mid 70s in Helensburgh so must be moving down the tiers now. 

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Have we not mostly focused on care homes and staff first which take more time to administer? We've done 80% of residents and 55% of care home staff. I can't remember the stats for down south but it was definitely less.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I get the point you are making here, but if you are going to use a graph that covers just three days on here to make it, then i'll come back in a few pages once the simps have replied.

Why don't you give us your hot take Todd then we can be certain what isn't causing it. 

Edited by madwullie

31 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The UK is still making its 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS, says Professor , chair of Global Public Health. Follow live #coronavirus updates

news.sky.com

UK is making 'biggest mistake' of treating COVID like flu - when it should be tackled like SARS

Professor Devi Sridhar,chair of Global Public Health, has had this to say on Twitter...

Biggest mistake UK made (& continues to make) is seeing COVID like flu that will become seasonal & come back each winter rather than like SARS to push to eliminate. Aside from lives & NHS strain, economy & children are paying an unacceptably high cost for this approach.

— Prof. Devi Sridhar (@devisridhar) January 13, 2021

:blink:

Aye, we shut down half the UK's economy for flu every year, right enough. Can't believe I've never noticed that before. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:
Have we not mostly focused on care homes and staff first which take more time to administer? We've done 80% of residents and 55% of care home staff. I can't remember the stats for down south but it was definitely less.

Exactly.

I had a wee look and a couple days ago England were at something like 23%. They want to have all care home residents vaccinated by 24th January but most care home owners think that is ambitious due to the time it takes.