Coronavirus (COVID-19)

New variants, lineages, and strains are going to keep the fear going permanently, aren't they?

When will we move past this? They aren't going to prolong the timeline of the pandemic or affect the current vaccines to the extent they go from 70-95% efficacy to 0%.

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I live in reality where we all saw Scotgov rip up two previous routemaps, which took weeks to draw up, within days.

Mate this is a brand new and constantly evolving situation, they've not missed their targets yet and you're moaning that they probably will. You need to take a look at yourself. 

Now very much at the 'wait and see' stage of proceedings.
It will be interesting to see how quickly there will be a drop in case numbers both in Scotland and the rest of the UK and if it will follow the same trend as Israel's figures.
Witty said March before he expects to see any effect in daily hospitalizations and deaths. Not sure why it should take that long, if it's as effective as claimed we surely must see some sort of reduction before that. Sustained considerable reduction may take until March I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Weren't supplies "diverted" to some of the worst hit areas.

BBC widely reporting that once a vaccination centre reaches its targets for each category it must not "crack on" even if they have supply. Every agreed category must be completed in every area before any vaccination location can move to the next category down. It appears this policy is designed for "geographic fairness" and to avoid accusations of a postcode lottery.

It wouldn't surprise me to see England get a bigger share because of the situation they find themselves in. I can only hope should we see cases rise in Scotland that we can call on England to send us a couple of hundred thousand doses.

As much as the UK government blow their own trumpet (rightly in some cases) to see us without any AZ doses on the WC 15/02 seems like extremely poor planning because you get everything spooled up only to scale it back for a week and then launch right back into it. It seems utterly mad, hopefully something can be done to rectify that.

Mate this is a brand new and constantly evolving situation, they've not missed their targets yet and you're moaning that they probably will. You need to take a look at yourself. 
Are you new here ? I will assume you are from the naievity of that post.

Your are talking to a guy who proclaimed this was over as a public health crisis (with a straight face we assume) many, many months ago !

Just now, 101 said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see England get a bigger share because of the situation they find themselves in. I can only hope should we see cases rise in Scotland that we can call on England to send us a couple of hundred thousand doses.

As much as the UK government blow their own trumpet (rightly in some cases) to see us without any AZ doses on the WC 15/02 seems like extremely poor planning because you get everything spooled up only to scale it back for a week and then launch right back into it. It seems utterly mad, hopefully something can be done to rectify that.

Struggling to think of a scenario in which the UK govt would be right to blow their own trumpet. There's literally nothing ever that they've done a good job of, except enriching their mates.  Did you mean that?

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:
It will be interesting to see how quickly there will be a drop in case numbers both in Scotland and the rest of the UK and if it will follow the same trend as Israel's figures.

Witty said March before he expects to see any effect in daily hospitalizations and deaths. Not sure why it should take that long, if it's as effective as claimed we surely must see some sort of reduction before that. Sustained considerable reduction may take until March I suppose.

Depends I think the first lot of folk, other than Boris Johnstons auld da were either not really circulating in society I.e the 80+ or NHS staff who you would assume are less likely to end up dying of Covid. I guess it wouldn't be until you have large chunks of people vaccinated that you see an improvement.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

While things will naturally improve as we move towards the spring, I'd be surprised if vaccinations start to have much impact until they have reached 20% or so of the population, coupled with current immunity from natural infections. It will take time for people to get their second dose and therefore maximum protection too.

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Struggling to think of a scenario in which the UK govt would be right to blow their own trumpet. There's literally nothing ever that they've done a good job of, except enriching their mates.  Did you mean that?

The teams who got this through the regulator deserve praise. The roll out generally deserves praise from across the UK it seems to be going well the odd person publicly getting vaccinated ahead of the queue due to their connections but considering the rest of the pandemic this seems to be working pretty well. But I don't think you can outsource this so maybe that why!!

1 minute ago, Big Fifer said:

When can we expect the route map for X people vaccinated, Y & Z can then open again? 

Agree. It should be demanded that after thresholds of vaccinations occur and the appropriate time given for the immune response to be primed, our civil liberties are returned to us.

Will this happen, though? I'm doubtful.

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

When can we expect the route map for X people vaccinated, Y & Z can then open again? 

Soon I would hope. Though I fully expect them not to bother tbh, and just revert back to their previous route map.

The key phrase was NS saying today vaccines were the key for us being able to live "more normal" lives, not "normal"

Level 0 isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I've been impressed with Nicola's handling of things over the last month.   Quick and on message when Boris dithered on school openings but especially about how the SG has handled care home vaccine rollout.    England basically said the Pfizer jab couldn't be rolled out to care homes for logistical reasons (temp) and decided to wait for the Oxford/Astra Zeneca.  Scotland targeted the care homes first and had vaccinated 50% before England managed their first care home jab.   We're at over 80% and England will be lagging behind.    

I was critical of NS during the spring, but I've been happy with her leadership over the last month.  

1 minute ago, 101 said:

The teams who got this through the regulator deserve praise. The roll out generally deserves praise from across the UK it seems to be going well the odd person publicly getting vaccinated ahead of the queue due to their connections but considering the rest of the pandemic this seems to be working pretty well. But I don't think you can outsource this so maybe that why!!

I think that's the narrative that will be told, but in reality we rushed approval because we were, rightly, shit scared of Brexit causing delays, and we are administering the vaccine in a completely unapproved way that does not offer maximum protection because the situation is so bad here. It wasn't a success, it was a desperation measure that has put us three weeks ahead of other countries is all.

We are the only country in the world doing this, and may find in a year or so it was the biggest mistake of all time.

As for the vaccine roll-out this is a highly developed country with great infrastructure (not what it should be but still) great transport links and geographically its tiny. To me there has been nothing remotely impressive about the vaccine roll-out, its just what you'd expect.

Further, we can't do 24 hour roll-out cause we don't have the staff after a decade of cuts to the NHS. The UK government in typical fashion put out a pathetic lie yesterday to say nobody wants vaccinated after 8pm. This is obviously nonsense, and also there's no way they could possibly know that its not like they've polled people, its just a lie to cover for their inability to facilitate 24 hour roll-out.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Agree. It should be demanded that after thresholds of vaccinations occur and the appropriate time given for the immune response to be primed, our civil liberties are returned to us.

Will this happen, though? I'm doubtful.

It will absolutely happen.

There is no benefit whatsoever to keeping businesses locked down indefinitely. Without a clear roadmap and in the presence of a vaccine that is being proven to drive cases down to an acceptable level, the pressure placed on the Government by almost all corners of industry if they continued to force closure would be unbearable.

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Waiting to see if this Brazil variant is here, if so it's going to be a LONG time before and restrictions are lifted.

I have been thinking about it today and honestly I think we're completely fucked. I don't think most people realise how badly yet. This could go on for years, and things will never be the same again.