Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Allowing multiple mass gatherings doesn't strike me as the kind of thing a government desperate to lock down would do tbh, particularly when other countries were playing games behind closed doors etc at the time, without necessarily being in a lock down.

But obviously you know better.

Yeah cause I live in reality where we all saw Scotgov calling for lockdown before it happened.

Perhaps pressure was put on them to allow games already scheduled to go ahead, and they wrongly bowed to it not realising how bad this would get. 

The two things are not incongruous, both can be true. 

20 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's exactly what you are doing. They couldn't, there's no point arguing the facts of the matter, Scotgov could not tell businesses to close until income support was in place. That was the responsibility of WM. This is a simple, basic, irrefutable fact that I've never heard anyone attempt to dispute until you.

I’m talking about enforcing lockdown earlier. 

Again - Could have. Didn’t.

Yes, it would’ve been beyond awful for workers and businesses without a furlough scheme, but it is an inexcusable decision when it has contributed to a huge number of avoidable deaths. Several countries locked down first and tackled furlough after. Some had a system in place already. The UK and it’s devolved governments faffed about blindly waiting on one to lead the others as opposed to applying the autonomy  they were empowered with ages ago by the UK Gov.

Edited by 8MileBU

OMG

I am reading the wiki page for Scotland's pandemic. Didn't know there was one.

For ages over the summer a workmate was telling us about his brother coming back from a ski trip in Italy and bringing it with him.

Turns out he is patient zero for Scotland. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Scotland

The COVID-19 pandemic was first confirmed to have spread to Scotland on 1 March 2020 with the positive COVID-19 test of a male Tayside resident who had recently travelled between Scotland and northern Italy.[

Edited by Carnoustie Young Guvnor

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I’m talking about enforcing lockdown earlier. 

Again - Could have. Didn’t.

Yes, it would’ve been beyond awful for workers and businesses without a furlough scheme, but it is an inexcusable decision when it has contributed to a huge number of avoidable deaths. Several countries locked down first and tackled furlough after. Some had a system in place already. The UK and it’s devolved governments faffed about blindly waiting on one to lead the others as opposed to applying the autonomy  they were empowered with ages ago by the UK Gov.

Mate I just don't have the patience to explain simple concepts to stupid people. This is why I could never be a teacher.

I'll try once, but if you don't understand after this you are on your own. 

The Scottish government could not possibly lockdown until furlough was in place. You keep maintaining they could have. Its not true, they couldn't. There is zero 'autonomy' in this matter, it is a reserved issue controlled entirely by the Chancellor of the Exchequer. 

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hardly massive but Iceland Air transit passengers can easily be ordered to stay airside. If we have no control over the Tweed border you can't compare us to Iceland or New Zealand, look how long it took for the new variant to make its way from Essex to here.

Or. We could've just closed the road into the airport. And let the airlines figure it out.

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Mate I just don't have the patience to explain simple concepts to stupid people. This is why I could never be a teacher.

The Scottish government could not possibly lockdown until furlough was in place. You keep maintaining they could have. Its not true, they couldn't. There is zero 'autonomy' in this matter, it is a reserved issue controlled entirely by the Chancellor of the Exchequer. 

Could have. Didn’t. 

34 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

How can we possibly be debating that the devolved nations could not lockdown until furlough was established?

Couldnt have sustained a full blown lock down but could have put air travel measures in place which could have mitigated the full lockdown had the Scottish and UK government acted faster. 

7 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

He's suggesting we could have done it without finance in place ie caused hundreds of thousands of people to lose their jobs. 

14 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Yeah cause I live in reality where we all saw Scotgov calling for lockdown before it happened.

Perhaps pressure was put on them to allow games already scheduled to go ahead, and they wrongly bowed to it not realising how bad this would get. 

The two things are not incongruous, both can be true. 

Yes. The SPFL definitely piled pressure on to get the green light, only to to call it off anyway.

UEFA were clearly not putting pressure on other countries to allow fans in either, as pretty much all of the European games outside of the UK were played without fans.

Maybe you are just talking pish.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes. The SPFL definitely piled pressure on to get the green light, only to to call it off anyway.

UEFA were clearly not putting pressure on other countries to allow fans in either, as pretty much all of the European games outside of the UK were played without fans.

Maybe you are just talking pish.

Maybe you're just desperate to find fault.

How do you know what discussions went on at the SPFL?  It was a very fluid situation, its not like their view couldn't have changed.

And its not like they're the only body who could put pressure on is it?

This is unproductive, I think I could take a good guess at your political views and thus the reason for your persistence in this matter.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Hearing today that various councils are asking their staff to sign up to an internal register for early vaccination to avoid doses going to waste through folk not turning up to appointments and the limited stability of the vaccine itself. Criteria is that staff must be over 18 and able to make it to an appointment within 30 minutes if selected. Makes sense if doses will be wasted otherwise.

I can confirm that is the case (certainly in Falkirk's case) . My wife has signed up.

Right. I've got a walk which the wife and I do every Sunday, which is just over a mile away. The wife suffers with fibromyalgia, and sometimes she has days where she can manage the walk,and other days a shorter distance, so we take the car. I also take my camera, as wildlife photography is a great release mental health wise. Am I doing anything wrong here??

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

I am thinking beyond this crisis. This will be a huge boost to trade unions.

I can't see that being law after Covid is a thing.  Environmentally it should be, but would require a restructuring of our economy.  

Some people like going to work too.  Not me like, but some people.

5 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Indeed, is it a permanent change in law or a temporary one?

Im going to see if 5 applies to me, I can f**k up a diagnosis as easily from my couch as I can in a surgery.

Actually we have people already working from home doing triage who are shielding

Are you a doctor?  You are going to get BOMBARDED with questions now.

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

Right. I've got a walk which the wife and I do every Sunday, which is just over a mile away. The wife suffers with fibromyalgia, and sometimes she has days where she can manage the walk,and other days a shorter distance, so we take the car. I also take my camera, as wildlife photography is a great release mental health wise. Am I doing anything wrong here??

No I don't think so. You can't drive to Ben Nevis to walk up it but this is fine I'm pretty sure.

12 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Maybe you're just desperate to find fault.

How do you know what discussions went on at the SPFL?  It was a very fluid situation, its not like their view couldn't have changed.

And its not like they're the only body who could put pressure on is it?

This is unproductive, I think I could take a good guess at your political views and thus the reason for your persistence in this matter.

I've voted SNP for 15 years.