Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

They could, however, have mandated anyone coming here to quarantine. They didn't.

Yes they could and its one of the things I've criticised them for, along with refusing to shut the border with England for months and months. That is actually outwith their power officially but is something they can effectively do anyway.

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Symbolic gestures from the SG today. Takeaway coffee and click and collect. 

Fuxsake, give me a break. 

You get the feeling as well that with the May elections coming up, the SNP will stand or fall on their ability to organise vaccinations as quickly and efficiently as possible. All the goodwill to NS that has built up over the last 10 months will evaporate quickly if they f**k this up. 

I'm not sure they're off to an auspicious start. People are looking for and expecting Israeli type efficiency in rolling out vaccinations....excuses about logistical problems, and some garbage about only vaccinating Monday to Friday between 9 -5 will make the SG look weak and hapless in the face of the most important medical exercise in British history. 

They must get this right. There's a huge amount resting on it, and not only covid related.

If they can shift blame for distribution on to the pharma companies or Westminster they'll be fine.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Everyone rimming his, presumably hairy, anus is sickening.  He's voted for those c***s his whole adult life.  He fucking loves the Tories.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I always have a wee chuckle when I read "I'm not a Piers Morgan fan but..."

He's a Tory c**t and he knows the vast majority don't like Tory c***s, so he props himself up as this speaker of truth and folk fucking lap it up.

Yep. He's maybe the most egregious example of someone who happily shot down any alternative to this government so he could continue acting like the voice of reason. p***k.

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
2 hours ago, bernardblack said:
1564 deaths. A horrific number

Thought it was going to be another horror figure when Scotland was 97 deaths (itself a horrible figure) - but this is worse than even I expected.

I make the point a lot but its very important to remember this figure is false, it has been being artificially massaged down for months. That is deaths within 28 days of a positive test.  The true number is always going to be significantly higher.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Iceland, 29 cases, airport testing and partial closures, Taiwan 7 deaths, New Zealand 25 deaths. 

All self governing islands, and not major hubs on the edge of Europe. We obviously could have done better but they're not meaningful comparisons with Scotland with no meaningful control over its borders.

30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You do realise that the Scottish Government is massively at fault for utterly shite efforts too? Dont get me wrong not AS much as WM, but when your sole response is ‘well at least im not as bad as Trump and Boris’ then it really doesnt actually suggest we’ve got much right. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be a very competent person, but what is increasingly clear is that below her is a shower of incompetents who really dont have a clue, this appears to be widely the case at government, health board management and civil service management too. 

I’m feeling increasingly removed from what once was a similar opinion. I think she’s just got that Alex Salmond thing where being a very good speaker is a bit of a smokescreen at times. Today’s announcements for me were mostly a complete straw-clutching nonsense and I think in some instances might even increase the potential for transmission. 

24 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have been very critical of them. However, the simple fact of the matter is everybody living in Scotland is twice as likely to live through this as people elsewhere in the UK because of the efforts of the Scottish government. 

It is also a fact their response was massively hindered by the UK government, who locked down far too late and still haven't put restrictions in at airports ten months into this thing.

I don't know enough about what happens below NS to comment, I'd be willing to put money on you not knowing enough either but just sounding off. That's okay, I do that too. Everybody is angry just now.

The bold bit is bollocks. NS is FM for Scotland and could have ordered a lockdown and control measures or restrictions at airports whenever she liked, but she didn’t. The UK gov only served as a shocking example to follow.

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I acquiesce, a rather large percentage of our population are horrible, ignorant, self entitled c***s.  The level of selfishness and me me me can be traced back to the Thatcherite policies of that dreadful women who created a country of sheer avarice that still flourishes years later.   Community spirit crushed, unions crushed, all about image, buy your own home, look at what I have culture.  May she rot in hell.

You wouldn't have lasted five minutes in the John Robertson Lounge with that kind of blasphemy, m9. 1777185771_JackSloshed.png.707642683fb8c0095ac1248f648a1c90.png

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

All self governing islands, and not major hubs on the edge of Europe. We obviously could have done better but they're not meaningful comparisons with Scotland with no meaningful control over its borders.

Scotland could have put in controls for air traffic arrivals, testing and absolutely, could have put the mandatory 2 week quarantine that the Scottish Government put in place in June in place when there were thousands of arrivals a day from places like Italy back in March 2020. They absolutely deserve massive criticism for these failures. Putting these measures in place would have probably spurred the UK gv’t to do the same. 
Also Icelandair obviously operates as a massive Europe-North America hub. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

1 minute ago, 8MileBU said:

I’m feeling increasingly removed from what once was a similar opinion. I think she’s just got that Alex Salmond thing where being a very good speaker is a bit of a smokescreen at times. Today’s announcements for me were mostly a complete straw-clutching nonsense and I think in some instances might even increase the potential for transmission. 

The bold bit is bollocks. NS is FM for Scotland and could have ordered a lockdown and control measures or restrictions at airports whenever she liked, but she didn’t. The UK gov only served as a shocking example to follow.

Nah that's pish mate. Scotland, Wales and NI couldn't lock down until the UK chancellor started the furlough scheme. That's just a fact.

Its also a fact studies have shown a lockdown 11 days earlier could have avoided 90% of cases.

11 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I acquiesce, a rather large percentage of our population are horrible, ignorant, self entitled c***s.  The level of selfishness and me me me can be traced back to the Thatcherite policies of that dreadful women who created a country of sheer avarice that still flourishes years later.   Community spirit crushed, unions crushed, all about image, buy your own home, look at what I have culture.  May she rot in hell.

A DILDO IN THATCHERS DEAD ARSE!!!!! 

ab67706c0000bebb38cce28d225ffc2162dbdd12.jpeg.jpg

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Scotland could have put in controls for air traffic arrivals, testing and absolutely, could have put the mandatory 2 week quarantine that the Scottish Government put in place in June in place when there were thousands of arrivals a day from places like Italy back in March 2020. They absolutely deserve massive criticism for these failures. Putting these measures in place would have probably spurred the UK gv’t to do the same. 

Totally agree, except the last bit where you attempt to pass the blame for UK govt failings onto Scotgov too.  That's too much of a stretch.

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

To be fair to BJ, NS et al they aren't qualified to be concerned.

Whoever has their ear is clearly feeding them "oooo this is bad" potentially in an effort to remain relevant. It's no coincidence to me that we only started worrying about variants around the time we had the first vaccine approved.

An absolute wet dream for the likes of Sridhar.

I thought it was because they wanted to reverse the Christmas decision? You need to get your conspiracy theories lines up mate. 

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They could have put some restrictions in place and I have been very critical of them. But borders are reseved, they couldn't stop people coming here the way that other countries could.

- why then did they magically discover the ability to implement travel corridors based on public health powers in June but allow arrivals from China in January and Italy when it was the worldwide epicentre? Those powers have always been there in terms of public health. Yes overall border control is reserved but public health powers basically provide a carte blanche. 

Which leads me to my second point. I think you're a pretty smart guy, so you know yourself its incredibly intellectually dishonest and deeply unfair to compare Scotland to other countries that are independent states with full control to tackle a pandemic when Scotland is not. The only valid comparison is with other parts of the UK.  

Also to characterise their approach as a 'we aren't as bad as England' is assigning your interpretation to them and also unfair and dishonest.  
- its exactly what SNP politicians have been doing throughout this pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Also Icelandair obviously operates as a massive Europe-North America hub. 

Also, the most important single factor of this whole debate.

From day one the Scottish government have pursued a path of elimination. The British government have not, they decided to 'take it on the chin' and 'allow it to pass through the population' so Scotgov have been swimming against the tide all along.  

This is heavily documented and now a matter of public record.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Cheers for the best example ever of hindsight in work. 

Can you actually imagine the shitstorm if Nicola Sturgeon had done everything you just posted above ? 

The Tories, the media, everyone would have been furious, accusing the Scottish government of overstepping the mark. There is NO WAY....realistically....that the SG could have done what you say above, without it first being approved by Westminster. 

4 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Nah that's pish mate. Scotland, Wales and NI couldn't lock down until the UK chancellor started the furlough scheme. That's just a fact.

The SG allowed a full house at Ibrox and were quite happy for the Old Firm game to go ahead too.

Those are also just facts.

Not being financially able to do something is irrelevant when they had no interest in doing so anyway.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Cheers for the best example ever of hindsight in work. 

Can you actually imagine the shitstorm if Nicola Sturgeon had done everything you just posted above ? 

The Tories, the media, everyone would have been furious, accusing the Scottish government of overstepping the mark. There is NO WAY....realistically....that the SG could have done what you say above, without it first being approved by Westminster. 

Yeah but tbf who gives a shit about a shitstorm when you're talking about protecting people's lives? 

NS, and I'm quoting her verbatim here cause I've been furious with her for months about it. She said, live on TV, 'if I ever refused to take an action that could protect lives for fear of the criticism I would receive I wouldn't be doing my job'.

She then spent months steadfastly refusing to close the border with England despite it being give or take the most infected country on earth whilst putting restrictions on places like Denmark with half our infection rate, because she was afraid of the criticism she would receive for doing so.

Exactly the scenario she herself described as 'not doing (her) job'.  An awful lot of people have died because NS didn't want her poll numbers affected.

13 minutes ago, H Wragg said:
18 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
The CFRs in the 4 nations are as follows:
England: 2.6%
Scotland: 3.3%
Wales: 2.3%
N. Ireland: 1.6%

Globally it is 2.1%
Simps gonna simp.

What is CFR?

Case Fatality Rate.

So for every 33 confirmed cases in Scotland 1 person dies.

Scotland is an extremely unhealthy country.