Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

And todays 1st Prize goes to the Highlands !!  with Alness at a staggering 1151 cases per 100K

That will be no surprise to people who read the Inverness Courier crime stories, but it amounted to 72 infections in a week.

9 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have been very critical of them. However, the simple fact of the matter is everybody living in Scotland is twice as likely to live through this as people elsewhere in the UK because of the efforts of the Scottish government. 

It is also a fact their response was massively hindered by the UK government, who locked down far too late and still haven't put restrictions in at airports ten months into this thing.

I don't know enough about what happens below NS to comment, I'd be willing to put money on you not knowing enough either but just sounding off. That's okay, I do that too. Everybody is angry just now.

That is the biggest pile of shite imaginable. A simple fact you say, that we are twice as likely to survive because of the actions of the Scottish government and the failings are the fault of the UK government. Delusional nonsense.

31 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Nice idea except the figures are wrong, Stranraer taking all 3 spots on the podium with this one.  At one point last week, Stranraer South was over 3000 cases per 100k.

image.png.3548dc29413fcc77423da7cea6bdd8b3.png

It's a bug bear of mine they use figures like "3000 cases per 100k" when Stranraer has a population of 12,000 or so. Why not just say theres x amount of cases in x place rather than complicating the matter

Edited by Thereisalight..

31 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

What's wrong with expecting people to gel their hands before wandering round the aisles touching products before putting them back?  Seems the least we can do, no.

I totally agree, think you have missed the tone of my post though... I was very much speaking about the arseholery we see in the shops.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's a big bear of mine they use figures like "3000 cases per 100k" when Stranraer has a population of 12,000 or so. Why not just say theres x amount of cases in x place rather than complicating the matter

Because it means you can compare two places of differing population like Stranraer and Glasgow.

17 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

I have been very critical of them. However, the simple fact of the matter is everybody living in Scotland is twice as likely to live through this as people elsewhere in the UK because of the efforts of the Scottish government. 

It is also a fact their response was massively hindered by the UK government, who locked down far too late and still haven't put restrictions in at airports ten months into this thing.

I don't know enough about what happens below NS to comment, I'd be willing to put money on you not knowing enough either but just sounding off. That's okay, I do that too. Everybody is angry just now.

The Scottish Government absolutely could have put restrictions in place. They also could have put airport testing in place for arrivals and departures, this would not have caught 100% of cases but it could have made a significant impact. But instead they’ve chosen to adopt a ‘least we arent as bad as England’ approach. Im as in favour of indy as any other person, but i judge Scotland on the efforts of countries which have good leadership as well as ‘london bad’. 
Iceland, 29 cases, airport testing and partial closures, Taiwan 7 deaths, New Zealand 25 deaths. 

It's a big bear of mine they use figures like "3000 cases per 100k" when Stranraer has a population of 12,000 or so. Why not just say theres x amount of cases in x place rather than complicating the matter
So you can make a direct comparison. It's just that using such a high common denominator results in the figures being easily skewed in towns with small populations but at 12000 Stranraers will be a reasonable enough comparison

9 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

That is the biggest pile of shite imaginable. A simple fact you say, that we are twice as likely to survive because of the actions of the Scottish government and the failings are the fault of the UK government. Delusional nonsense.

The CFRs in the 4 nations are as follows:

England: 2.6%

Scotland: 3.3%

Wales: 2.3%

N. Ireland: 1.6%

Globally it is 2.1%

Simps gonna simp.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The Scottish Government absolutely could have put restrictions in place. They also could have put airport testing in place for arrivals and departures, this would not have caught 100% of cases but it could have made a significant impact. But instead they’ve chosen to adopt a ‘least we arent as bad as England’ approach. Im as in favour of indy as any other person, but i judge Scotland on the efforts of countries which have good leadership as well as ‘london bad’. 
Iceland, 29 cases, airport testing and partial closures, Taiwan 7 deaths, New Zealand 25 deaths. 

They could have put some restrictions in place and I have been very critical of them. But borders are reseved, they couldn't stop people coming here the way that other countries could.

Which leads me to my second point. I think you're a pretty smart guy, so you know yourself its incredibly intellectually dishonest and deeply unfair to compare Scotland to other countries that are independent states with full control to tackle a pandemic when Scotland is not. The only valid comparison is with other parts of the UK.  

Also to characterise their approach as a 'we aren't as bad as England' is assigning your interpretation to them and also unfair and dishonest.  

Just now, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

They could have put some restrictions in place and I have been very critical of them. But borders are reseved, they couldn't stop people coming here the way that other countries could.

Which leads me to my second point. I think you're a pretty smart guy, so you know yourself its incredibly intellectually dishonest and deeply unfair to compare Scotland to other countries that are independent states with full control to tackle a pandemic when Scotland is not. The only valid comparison is with other parts of the UK.  

Also to characterise their approach as a 'we aren't as bad as England' is assigning your interpretation to them and also unfair and dishonest.  

They could, however, have mandated anyone coming here to quarantine. They didn't.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The fact that Minter has owned you in a thread should be an opportunity for self reflection and a real turning point for you as a poster, lets see how it plays out?

I must have missed that.  I get really tired of people personalising stuff on here. Not once have I ever pursued another poster, but I have about five or six that do it to me every day on here. 

Again, you're a smart guy, and a bit better than stuff like this.