Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Symbolic gestures from the SG today. Takeaway coffee and click and collect. 

Fuxsake, give me a break. 

You get the feeling as well that with the May elections coming up, the SNP will stand or fall on their ability to organise vaccinations as quickly and efficiently as possible. All the goodwill to NS that has built up over the last 10 months will evaporate quickly if they f**k this up. 

I'm not sure they're off to an auspicious start. People are looking for and expecting Israeli type efficiency in rolling out vaccinations....excuses about logistical problems, and some garbage about only vaccinating Monday to Friday between 9 -5 will make the SG look weak and hapless in the face of the most important medical exercise in British history. 

They must get this right. There's a huge amount resting on it, and not only covid related.

Dont be so stupid. NS could personally go around to folks grannies house, hug them, give them covid and they'd still win by a landslide 

Edited by Thereisalight..

I'm being whimsical, would be nice if they introduced mandatory gelling of hands  and banning twats from talking on mobile phones too.
Actually a silent shop would be bliss.
Think you are pitching higher than you need to. A shop that has people who are primarily concerned with getting their shopping done is the improvement we need.

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

I think a lot of that comes from the media rather than the government.

Nope. Nicola Sturgeon, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock all publicly expressed their "fears" about the South African strain. None of them mentioned anything about strains early last year and they had the science available to them. 

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Nope. Nicola Sturgeon, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock all publicly expressed their "fears" about the South African strain. None of them mentioned anything about strains early last year and they had the science available to them. 

No. You're quoting a headline.

Johnson said he was 'concerned'. Which is fair enough. That's his job.

Should he have said he wasn't bothered?

Edited by TheJTS98

1 minute ago, TheJTS98 said:

No. You're quoting a headline.

Johnson said he was 'concerned'. Which is fair enough. That's his job.

Should he have said he wasn't bothered?

To be fair to BJ, NS et al they aren't qualified to be concerned.

Whoever has their ear is clearly feeding them "oooo this is bad" potentially in an effort to remain relevant. It's no coincidence to me that we only started worrying about variants around the time we had the first vaccine approved.

An absolute wet dream for the likes of Sridhar.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

To be fair to BJ, NS et al they aren't qualified to be concerned.

Whoever has their ear is clearly feeding them "oooo this is bad" potentially in an effort to remain relevant. It's no coincidence to me that we only started worrying about variants around the time we had the first vaccine approved.

An absolute wet dream for the likes of Sridhar.

Good grief.

That WHO article is misleading. It says

"Speaking at a media briefing on Monday, Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO’s COVID-19 Technical Lead, stated that sharp increases in transmission had occurred in a number of countries “before these variants were circulating”, adding that this “was due to increased mixing of people”.

...in a number of countries...is the key as she then fails to say if the UK was one of those countries. She specifically mentions the UK, Ireland and the USA in the next paragraph but not in the context of them being one of the countries seeing sharp rises before any new variant.

It's someone trying to be clever with another's words.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
47 minutes ago, Tynierose said:
I'm being whimsical, would be nice if they introduced mandatory gelling of hands  and banning twats from talking on mobile phones too.
Actually a silent shop would be bliss.

Think you are pitching higher than you need to. A shop that has people who are primarily concerned with getting their shopping done is the improvement we need.

What's wrong with expecting people to gel their hands before wandering round the aisles touching products before putting them back?  Seems the least we can do, no.

We were all hoping we'd get sent home. Some of us would get furloughed  others wfh. For the life of me, apart from guys working on essential maintenance, testing etc none of this is essential.
Cynical view? The furlough budget wont stretch to it, so we carry on.
But, to repeat myself, we should be getting the jag now, way before people who have been at home since March.
If you have guys that could WFH then she couldn't have been clearer today, they should be doing that.

59 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Thought i might also "name the top Scottish Covid neighbourhood hotspots each day.  Quite suprising actually.
In 3rd Place down in the borders at 839 cases per 100K is Burnfoot   which looks like it is close to Hawick
In 2nd Place in Aberdeenshire at 913 cases per 100K is Cromar & Kildrummy    somewhere near Aboyne I think.
And todays 1st Prize goes to the Highlands !!  with Alness at a staggering 1151 cases per 100K
Stay tuned pop pickers.

Nice idea except the figures are wrong, Stranraer taking all 3 spots on the podium with this one.  At one point last week, Stranraer South was over 3000 cases per 100k.

image.png.3548dc29413fcc77423da7cea6bdd8b3.png

Edited by MONKMAN

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, Tynierose said:

What's wrong with expecting people to gel their hands before wandering round the aisles touching products before putting them back?  Seems the least we can do, no.

In Malaysia shops and restaurants have to provide hand sanitiser or they can't open. Supermarkets, convenience stores, the whole lot. You can't enter without a skoosh.

Is this the case in the UK?

24 minutes ago, The Marly said:

The main thing we've learned from this pandemic is that there are a much higher percentage of absolute c***s in society than we probably realised. Just back from Tesco where people are blatantly ignoring guidelines and then giving staff absolute dog's abuse for daring to challenge them. These folk are only trying to make a living and haven't been able to stay home to avoid the virus. They certainly don't deserve the shite they are having to deal with.

Scottish people in being aggressive c***s shocker!!

It didn’t take a pandemic for me to realise there was a high percentage of c****s in society. Utter vermin. They’ve normally got sleeve tattoos and are doing that “ beard thing”. 

Just now, TheJTS98 said:

In Malaysia shops and restaurants have to provide hand sanitiser or they can't open. Supermarkets, convenience stores, the whole lot. You can't enter without a skoosh.

Is this the case in the UK?

In true UK spirit the machines are available in many outlets however there is nil to make them be used.

56 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

1500 dead today. You have to wonder what it will take for people to march on Downing St and fuckin kill these b*****ds, cause they're killing us.

You do realise that the Scottish Government is massively at fault for utterly shite efforts too? Dont get me wrong not AS much as WM, but when your sole response is ‘well at least im not as bad as Trump and Boris’ then it really doesnt actually suggest we’ve got much right. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be a very competent person, but what is increasingly clear is that below her is a shower of incompetents who really dont have a clue, this appears to be widely the case at government, health board management and civil service management too. 

Guest TheJTS98
4 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

In true UK spirit the machines are available in many outlets however there is nil to make them be used.

Clatty savages, imo.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

You do realise that the Scottish Government is massively at fault for utterly shite efforts too? Dont get me wrong not AS much as WM, but when your sole response is ‘well at least im not as bad as Trump and Boris’ then it really doesnt actually suggest we’ve got much right. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be a very competent person, but what is increasingly clear is that below her is a shower of incompetents who really dont have a clue, this appears to be widely the case at government, health board management and civil service management too. 

I have been very critical of them. However, the simple fact of the matter is everybody living in Scotland is twice as likely to live through this as people elsewhere in the UK because of the efforts of the Scottish government. 

It is also a fact their response was massively hindered by the UK government, who locked down far too late and still haven't put restrictions in at airports ten months into this thing.

I don't know enough about what happens below NS to comment, I'd be willing to put money on you not knowing enough either but just sounding off. That's okay, I do that too. Everybody is angry just now.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Academically Deficient said:
We were all hoping we'd get sent home. Some of us would get furloughed  others wfh. For the life of me, apart from guys working on essential maintenance, testing etc none of this is essential.
Cynical view? The furlough budget wont stretch to it, so we carry on.
But, to repeat myself, we should be getting the jag now, way before people who have been at home since March.

If you have guys that could WFH then she couldn't have been clearer today, they should be doing that.

That's the problem though. On a construction site some guys sort of can work from home, but can't really commit. As long there's site activity you can't just say "that's it, I never need to be here". Unless you're a QS or in senior management maybe, something like that.

1,100 vaccination centres - I know they will be of varying sizes and opening hours (some 24 hours).  A target of 400,000 of week is an average of 364 per centre or an average of 52 per day per centre.  It's not impossible as long as vaccine supply can meet demand.  Flu jags can be administered by GP practices and medical centres without too much fuss and in almost assembly line fashion so I do not see this as impossible (again, dependent on supply)
They are talking something like 20,000 a week at the big centres.