Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

There are people in "priority" groups who are perfectly capable of going in the middle of the night. 50-60 year olds who are still working would quite happily get the vaccine at 4am if need be I'm sure.

I'll happily get mine at any time. Looks my GP are only doing them at weekends though. 🙄

That chat from Matt Hancock is absolutely wild.

No wonder we're going backwards as a country with this Victorian obsession with the Monday-Friday 9-5.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

No wonder we're going backwards as a country with this Victorian obsession with the Monday-Friday 9-5.

Actually the victorians tended to work 20-25 hours per week longer than today including Saturdays in many cases.  Most likely due to no money off to the workhouse mentality.

The real decrease in the working week was in the 1950's and there on in it has gradually reduced.

Guest bernardblack

I feel really glad you posted this

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just a further thing regarding vaccine supply and the need for 24 hour vaccinations.... There is talk of Johnson and Johnson seeking approval in February for a single shot vaccine. My understanding is that we have a lot of them on order. I do not know how many are ready to deliver. Novovax also appear to anticipate Q1 2021, again, I have certainly read we have these on order.

I am unsure of projected approvals for others, BUT, I have read we expect to take delivery of several million Moderna vaccines in April. So in addition to Pfizer and AZ ramping up production (they will, it's what they do for money) we also have to ensure there is sufficient headroom in the infrastructure to take and administer Moderna, J&J and Novovax, all in Q2 or Q2.

My prediction is that vaccine supply is going to make us loom really fucking stupid very soon, unless we act now.

Said for a long time the J&J one will be the one that takes us out of this. Single vaccine looking over 80% effective pushing the 90’s, no freezing temps needed, hook it to my veins. Its the thought of that one getting rolled out in March which gives me the hope im clinging to just now. 

Have you seen his performance today with Piers Morgan about the school meals?

I just watched it whilst trying to find what you were talking about, and I now need an emergency chiropractor to some to my house, having cringed myself into a pretzel shape

1 hour ago, renton said:

Are we allowing any mitigations for multinational pharmaceutical companies and their associated supply chains fucking up their own estimates of what they could supply?

From 1 million people vaccinated by the end of January to 'eh, mebbe 450,000' doses in the space of a month? No. That's not a minor adjustment; that's a heads should roll on multiple levels outcome. 

Edited by vikingTON

I just watched it whilst trying to find what you were talking about, and I now need an emergency chiropractor to some to my house, having cringed myself into a pretzel shape
I can't stand the man but Piers Morgan is one of a very few journalists who have held this government to account

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Again what bit of TARGET don't you understand. The target was clearly defined again minutes ago. All over 65s and the clinically vulnerable by 1 March. What part of that can't you grasp.

How they get to that target is wholly unimportant as long as they do.

The target is clearly defined.

The target was previously defined as 1 million people will be vaccinated by January 31. Until they entirely dismantled the goalposts to try and cover their own backs.

But some people bizarrely have an unerring faith that this one will be different.

I can't stand the man but Piers Morgan is one of a very few journalists who have held this government to account
He put the boot right into that clammy wee car salesman today. Susannah Reid also had a dig at him too, the look on Hancocks face was amazing. He's a man who doesn't think he should face that sort of scrutiny, but wouldn't be able to offer you a reason why he should be exempt. Fucking self entitled wretch. Proper scrutiny of his role in this pandemic would leave him utterly broken and toxic. Something we should all hope for. In our wildest dreams he might one day have to rely on a handout from Compass Group.

2 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:
6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He has, but he has been quite happy to criticise the border situation despite going on holiday himself on more than one occasion. Also sooked up to NS for seemingly no reason other than she would go on his show. He's really in no position to comment on NS and the SG's handling of covid as he doesn't live here, and using her as a stick to beat WM with was little more than political pointscoring.

It would have been interesting to see how NS and the SG handled being grilled every day rather than the mostly soft touch jourmalism offered.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

Actually dumbfouded that construction and manufacturing, and the thousands of people (a large percentage of who can't WFH) it employs, carries on.

Really quite bizarre to instead focus on people Click and Collecting from Argos and having takeaway pints. How many of the infections over the past few weeks are actually attibuted to this stuff. Can only be a handful at best

Some construction sites were preparing to be shut down, but I thought they were expecting the announcement tomorrow?

5 minutes ago, Steven W said:

871 people have been vaccinated and its unknown what health board they belong to.

What on earth is going on there?

image.png.7eb98d4c158719bf3ec15d1b0199e24d.png

The more detailed documents posted by ICTChris explained it - these are people who either don't have their health board on their record (probably a handful) and people who live elsewhere in the UK.

4 hours ago, SoapMactavish said:

Just to address the whole” lOnG cOvId iS a HoAx” on here.

There is categorically a post-covid syndrome of some sort, particularly in regard to people still having chest issues like breathlessness, chest pain etc a long way down the line from the actual acute infection. 

I am seeing on a daily basis significant numbers of patients attending with these symptoms 8,9 or even 10 months after getting infected intially. Some are bad enough to need admitted through ED. 

Call it long covid or whatever you want but it does exist and is not the same as post viral fatigue. 

Don't think anybody said that, in fact I went as far as to make sure that I wasn't being misinterpreted as calling it a hoax.

My (fairly legitimate, IMO) concern is that when the death rate goes significantly down come the summer - once we've got the vulnerable vaccinated and the natural help of the warm weather - I can easily see certain people in the very-much-enjoying-all-this-extra-media-attention-they're-getting scientific community pivoting from "well yes we've stopped the deaths but what are we going to do about Long COVID? Better not risk it and keep the restrictions in!".

I'm just telling you now, those people will be roundly to fucking bolt by the lion's share of the population.

Edited by HibsFan