Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, Steven W said:
Whit?
No. Owing to the large amount of people it employs,  I think construction (of the building of new houses / flats etc)  should be stopped. This in turn would stop the manufacturing of the goods that feeds that industry. All of which would result in thousands sitting in the house on furlough rather than their place of work. I think this would have a higher impact on the infection rate than stopping folk picking up a pair of curtains from Argos.
You seem to think otherwise.

That's purely financial I suspect that those are still operating. Obviously those interactions ceasing would help break transmission chains.

Hence my dumbfoundedness (if that's a word)

Regarding 24 hour vaccination, it would make absolute sense, if we are talking about end of Feb by which time the top table of vulnerable groups should be done, to make it a free for all with an app based booking system. Nightshift workers for example, get themselves sorted when they are at work anyway or backshift finishing, and leave slots for other during the day. I would hope consideration is given to this sort of flexibility when it moves from targeting the vunlenerable to targeting the mass volume of "the herd"

How would this compare to the ratio of people still suffering similar complications following being hospitalised with a severe bout of flu or, perhaps more significantly, pneumonia?
Would you expect that a vaccine which, at the very least prevents severe covid, to significantly reduce the number of people experiencing this?

These are very fair questions. I don’t think many people are denying the existence of long Covid and it may well be more likely than for many conditions (we don’t know that yet) but Covid is far from unique in causing health issues after significant illness. I had a mycoplasma pneumonia about 15 years ago and felt just awful with significant joint pains and horrible fatigue for months afterwards despite having had prompt and appropriate treatment and made a rapid recovery from the respiratory symptoms. My wife had a really nasty lobar pneumonia with pleurisy in 2018 and it took her a year to be completely well again suffering from significant pain, breathlessness and general fatigue. Neither of us had any risk factors and thankfully both completely well now. There does seem to be a real issue for some people post Covid but that has to be balanced against the fact that for huge numbers of people it’s largely a disease that makes them feel unwell for a few days and indeed for many is completely asymptomatic.
I’m not underestimating Covid, why would I with over 80k dead in the U.K. and we are currently right up against it as a country but it’s far from unique in causing issues post illness.
Re the vaccine preventing or at least decreasing the incidence of severe Covid you would hope that it will make a big difference to the numbers getting significant post-Covid issues but I guess that is still an unknown.

Edit to add to a post that’s too long already but Long Covid is clearly not a hoax in my view. It’s absolutely real but really needs some context.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Sevco have offered Ibrox as a vaccination centre.

I can just imagine the wunfy's of the world refusing to go.

To be fair I think that is a positive gesture and may well encourage some of their "loyal" fans, who may have been against the idea, to get vaccinated purely as it is on "hallowed turf"

Would be good to see Celtic do the same......may see healthy competition to see who vaccinates the most

Breaking News - Celtic have indeed offered the use of a football stadium - handy map on how to get there too.

football ground dubai - Google Search

8 minutes ago, RiG said:

Johnson was rightly criticised for his daft predictions of things being back to normal by *insert any date / time here* so if the SG make statements about vaccinating a certain number of people by a certain date and they fall short then they should also be rebuked for this failing.

They never have made a prediction on facilitating vaccinations by any date and didn't want to for the reasons you've said.

What they did have a responsibility to detail publicly was detail about the infrastructure and roll out, this would involve making specific predictions on staffing and rates. They produced a document aiming to have the resources to facilitate the roll out of 1 million vaccines in January, a very liberal estimate of the possible no of vaccines that could be procured in the delivery schedule. If this number was specified to be too low, the risk was failing to deliver on schedules, it was set by design to be high with a bit of flex so they would be resourced to handle the best case scenario. The cost of undersizing was extremely high (and politically) whilst oversizing relatively cheap (and the cost can be reduced when procurement falls short).

This process had to be started and detailed in some way before procurement was sorted. The statement were designed and headed to reference that 1 million figure as little as possible, it actually only appeared once. It was a figure that did need to be cited though, the government can't go about spending money on infrastructure during a pandemic without some working presented to parliament.

The subsequent estimates given on the roll out to specific groups and an estimate on the no of the population have been made with further knowledge of that procurement and largely indicate that there's been no discrepancy or shortfall in the health service having the capability to roll out 225k vaccines per week.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Giving this a bit too much credit here calling it a "loophole". Surely.its just good old fashioned "ripping the pish"

Screenshot_20210113-132621_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

few issues with this,

1. I've yet to be challenged by the cops at any time since this started for any reason

2. "no officer I wasn't doing something non essential, I'm outside for exercise which is unlimited both in duration and frequency

3. no officer I'm a carer for mr smith in some pretty seaside town, I'm not just going for a jolly

4. no officer I'm a carer for my parents , I'm not just going for a cup of tea and a blether

TL;DR

rules = unenforcable

41 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
43 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
It is if you need curtains.

No one stopping anyone clicking and collecting curtains. It's just a change to the collection procedures. Even you must admit that screaming for Manufacturing and construction to be stopped after a minor change to cluck and collect is wild !

The BBC website said they (SG) were reviewing click and collect and making it only “essential” items. Essential is such a subjective word though so god knows how they’ll chose 

40 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

where do you get that from?  I have seen nothing to suggest vaccination centres are only open Mon-Fri 8-5?  There has been anecdotal evidence on this very thread that people are getting vaccinated out of those hours and indeed at weekends.

The line about no demand for 24hr vaccination. I know a few people here who revived the vaccine yesterday and it was during “surgery hours” and it wasn’t on the horizon to be outwith that 

Just a further thing regarding vaccine supply and the need for 24 hour vaccinations.... There is talk of Johnson and Johnson seeking approval in February for a single shot vaccine. My understanding is that we have a lot of them on order. I do not know how many are ready to deliver. Novovax also appear to anticipate Q1 2021, again, I have certainly read we have these on order.

I am unsure of projected approvals for others, BUT, I have read we expect to take delivery of several million Moderna vaccines in April. So in addition to Pfizer and AZ ramping up production (they will, it's what they do for money) we also have to ensure there is sufficient headroom in the infrastructure to take and administer Moderna, J&J and Novovax, all in Q2 or Q2.

My prediction is that vaccine supply is going to make us loom really fucking stupid very soon, unless we act now.