Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Seems to be but I guess they

A) need to actually have people booked and attending the slots
B) don't want to fire through all the doses and then have people sitting doing nothing for weeks until we are confident the supplies will be coming.

It's still early stages and still apparently on track for the over 80s by month end and 400k per week by end of Feb.

Also sounds like they aren't using the mass sites yet which will greatly increase the numbers being done.

Hahaha what?

Not a chance we will get anywhere near the ability to vaccinate all 2m on the "at risk" list in just 5 weeks. Behave.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Johnson has said they are looking to open 24/7 vaccination centres ASAP.

ETA: Maybe I've imagined this but I am sure I saw mention of a country (or multiple countries) looking to minimise vaccine wastage by offering soon to expire vaccines on a first come first served basis to ordinary Joe Bloggs.

Edited by RiG

I can’t read the article but this looks like a good bit of reporting. Anyone able to post it?

The key is in when the outstanding 150k were delivered. If they mostly landed all at once, towards the end of last week, then fair enough, it takes time to distribute and get appointments going. If not then my defence of the Scottish Government in this case goes in the bin.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

How would this compare to the ratio of people still suffering similar complications following being hospitalised with a severe bout of flu or, perhaps more significantly, pneumonia?

Would you expect that a vaccine which, at the very least prevents severe covid, to significantly reduce the number of people experiencing this?

Its hard to say in all fairness as it isn’t something I’ve noticed before with other conditions.

Perhaps its similar but its likely the sheer number of infections that are causing the amount of people I am seeing with more chronic symptoms. 

2018-2019 was a bad flu year numbers wise but there was not a notable amount of people coming in months later.

Could just be observer bias that I didn’t notice it before, but its signifcant if you see 30 patients referred for chest imaging and around half of them have previous covid infection and ongoing symptoms. 

16 minutes ago, bendan said:

I haven't combed through every page, but is anyone actually saying that? I think the issue is that the media would like people to think huge percentages of those who get Covid will suffer 'Long Covid' - would you say that is categorically true? Millions of people have had Covid in the UK - if some have chest pains months later, how do you determine that it's the result of Covid? If some are depressed or have anxiety, how do you determine it's due to Covid? 

I'm not doubting for a moment that some people struggle to shake off some of the effects, but media scaremongering over the numbers won't help us get back to a more normal situation in which people make rational assessments of health risks.

Lung function tests and imaging mainly for physical symptoms. A significant amount of folk have lasting damage visible on chest x-rays months and months after which isn’t the case with the majority of respiratory infections.

Its a strange old disease, some people were presenting (and still are) with fairly mild symptoms but a horrendous looking chest (insert kenneth williams image here) and silent hypoxia.

If it wasn’t so much of a pain in the arse it would be really interesting to study. 

Really don't get the negativity regarding the vaccination of huge numbers in Scotland by the end of February.

Although, anyone looking at the BBC Scotland site right now might be a little disappointed - 

1. Nearly 200,000 people have been vaccinated in Scotland - that includes 80% of care home residents and 55% of care home staff
  2. Approximately 52% of NHS workers have received their first injection and 2% of over-80s living in the community have been vaccinated
  3. Twenty-four vaccinations will be possible at big centres, such as at Ravenscraig sports centre, by the end of February
  4. Education Secretary John Swinney says IT problems which some pupils had suffered at the start of the week were now solved
  5. National Records of Scotland report that 7,074 fatalities have now been registered in Scotland where Covid-19 was mentioned on the death certificate
  6. The first minister will update MSPs on Scotland's Covid-19 restrictions ahead of First Minister's Questions
  7. Fewer than half of those using NHS Scotland's Covid-19 app who tested positive entered the code to alert other users that they should isolate
  8. Figures obtained by the BBC show that up to 10 December, 27,239 codes were issued, but only 11,549 were uploaded

I really hope that they just missed out the word "hour" after twenty four....good old BBC...well they did start to employ the use of dunderheids from the tabloids.....

Edited by Caledonian1

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

As i said a few weeks ago they knew vaccines were coming so why not have this planned in advance in all of UK.

I mean we keep getting told its the biggest crisis since the war so get the fucking injections done.   Oh no I may have to get a jab at 1am, well so be it, taken the hit.  We want this done so get on with it.  

And before someone goes on about there 89 year old maw not being able to attend at 1 in morning plenty of younger people would be happy too 

No excuses for not having this is place as soon as vaccines arrived.  Half arsed as per.

There are people in "priority" groups who are perfectly capable of going in the middle of the night. 50-60 year olds who are still working would quite happily get the vaccine at 4am if need be I'm sure.

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

But that shouldnt be due to the Scottish Government’s abject failure to properly roll out the vaccine and Freeman needs to go now. 

Micromanaging a logistical roll-out of vaccines seems like a better use of Swinney's poindexter mindset than an education brief that he's completely floundering in. Freeman should have been put in the corner and told to play with a detached computer keyboard months ago instead of overseeing the most important public health programmes in decades.

I would gladly get up at 2am for a jag if it meant everyone getting back to normal more quickly. This constant 'oh we might do this' approach to everything from the SG is pathetic. We know you'll end up doing it at some point, just do it now ffs. 

Just now, Caledonian1 said:

Really don't get the negativity regarding the vaccination of huge numbers in Scotland by the end of February

Because it won't happen?

400k per week is complete fantasy land stuff.

If that's the kind of figure they are relying on achieving to hit their target then we are going to be a mile away.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

There are people in "priority" groups who are perfectly capable of going in the middle of the night. 50-60 year olds who are still working would quite happily get the vaccine at 4am if need be I'm sure.

Exactly.  I am mid-fifties and often get up in the middle of the night for a pish.  I would be happy to get vaccinated before going back to bed.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Because it won't happen?

If that's the kind of figure they are relying on achieving to hit their target then we are going to be a mile away.

Glad you highlighted that part of my post and completely missed the bit I highlighted

1. Twenty-four vaccinations will be possible at big centres, such as at Ravenscraig sports centre, by the end of February

Is this what they refer to as "wooshed" around these parts?

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

1.4m by 28 Feb. That is All over 65s plus the clinically vulnerable. All still on target says NS right now.

Daily flapping at a target of 28 Feb is mental.

What happened to the end of January targets?

Because it won't happen?

Yeah there’s absolutely no chance of that happening. What the f**k is Freeman thinking by saying such shite?

Working on it beginning on March 1st, and removing worrying about the 12-week cycle that means people come back for a second dose, you could give one dose to every man, woman and child in Scotland by mid-May and everyone would’ve had their second dose by the end of August. When you bear in mind not everyone will take a vaccine, some will be advised not to take it, and kids don’t get it, you’re probably looking at it being sewn up by mid-July. The UK Gov have suggested everyone will be offered a first dose ‘by autumn’.

Outright lunacy from Freeman. Clearly won’t happen.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

1.4m by 28 Feb. That is All over 65s plus the clinically vulnerable. All still on target says NS right now.

Daily flapping at a target of 28 Feb is mental.

As of now, a rate of 215k per week is needed to achieve that. With each passing day that rate climbs higher.

It's not flapping at all to ask how, and when, we can expect the gap between the current rate of 112k per week (based on 16k x 7) and 215k per week will be closed.