Coronavirus (COVID-19)

John Swinney is on another planet if he thinks there is going to be live interaction every day with pupils.

There will be interaction but "live" - not at all realistic. I think most schools will be providing additional support to materials in the the shape of recorded audio/video to explain difficult concepts with adhoc drop-in to ask questions to clarify.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Driving to watch a game that is taking place BCD is taking the pish. 

We were very briefly allowed to attend games in Highland and Moray. I think Clach managed an U20s game and a Scottish Cup loss against Caley Braves at home. All the HFL games were postponed because of weather.

It’s literally the worst stage of the pandemic so far.
To be fair, we've been hearing that since March. It may well be that it is the worst stage of the pandemic since March but the authorities are like the boy who cried wolf. I understand that they have been learning from mistakes as they go along as well. However, can you blame people who were told in March that this would be a few weeks of lockdown, for losing their shit at the prospect of this carrying on for what will feel to some like an indefinite period.

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

Got to say the quality of resources provided to MA TWO WEANS by their primary teachers today has been absolutely miles better than the first lockdown. 

Potentially could be because the teacher last year was pushing 60 and her main method of teaching was dirty looks and saying shh which doesn't translate well online, while they both have ~30 year olds this time - but I do reckon there's been some good training in Google classroom going on.

You can tell from the instructions and the photos proper keener parents have uploaded that the work is differentiated too, as some kids clearly have different work from mine - but you can't tell that from the resources. Hats off tbh 👍 

Agreed, much better than last time round, 2 live lessons and BBC worked very well for my one in primary 3. 

Agreed, much better than last time round, 2 live lessons and BBC worked very well for my one in primary 3. 
Mine also in P3. I quite enjoyed Michael Rose (the BBC poetry guy) , fair made my work zip along as I was lugging-in!

We didn't have live lessons from the teacher though. Instead we had a variety of Seesaw: a maths task (number sequences), a reading task (compound words), a project (make a musical instrument), and a wellbeing task (make a healthy snack).

All-in it kept us going for about four and a half hours, which was much improved on Spring term where some days he was done on the assigned work after 30 minutes.

We finished the day with PE, which consisted of me leathering a football around a local park with him. Great fun!

After seeing some news reports today highlighting the shortfalls in vaccine supply in Scotland, I can’t help thinking that the main purpose of the present lockdown is to try and keep people inside for a couple of months until the whole vaccination scenario is up and running properly, and both UKG and SG knew this was going to happen.

And they knew it in December, so let the restriction leash off in the run up to Christmas despite trumpeting 1million by end Jan etc

39 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

After seeing some news reports today highlighting the shortfalls in vaccine supply in Scotland, I can’t help thinking that the main purpose of the present lockdown is to try and keep people inside for a couple of months until the whole vaccination scenario is up and running properly, and both UKG and SG knew this was going to happen.

And they knew it in December, so let the restriction leash off in the run up to Christmas despite trumpeting 1million by end Jan etc

I'm led to believe that the hospitals are struggling to cope, the ambulance service is struggling to cope and some hospitals are even running out of oxygen ??

I'm led to believe that the hospitals are struggling to cope, the ambulance service is struggling to cope and some hospitals are even running out of oxygen ??
Pretty much this.

The worst case scenario for the government is seeing headlines in the press from doctors having to decide who lives and dies because ICU's are maxed out due to Covid

10 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Pretty much this.

The worst case scenario for the government is seeing headlines in the press from doctors having to decide who lives and dies because ICU's are maxed out due to Covid

Hospitals have been choosing not to treat geriatrics all the way through this. 

Has anyone had difficulties having conversations with family about taking unnecessary risks? I think we are on the verge of having a big blow up with some of my wife’s family soon.

Girlfriends sister has been traipsing all around Scotland with her boyfriend doing what they want since November.

Fell out with her on Christmas Day with her attitude about the virus and we’ve only spoke to her once since.

Hospitals have been choosing not to treat geriatrics all the way through this. 
Because?

Are you suggesting the NHS could have run normally during the pandemic, especially now?

All I'm saying is this is the narrative the press would/will latch onto, nothing more.

53 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has anyone had difficulties having conversations with family about taking unnecessary risks? I think we are on the verge of having a big blow up with some of my wife’s family soon.

That must be a tough one.