Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Going by Scottish Government figures we need to vaccinate about 32k people a day to hit 800k total by the end of January.

Is this realistic? And yes I know it's dependent on "supply".

No and I think because of supply issues they have said all over 80s by Feb.

On 10/01/2021 at 16:09, superbigal said:

Sunday and figures on another day cases per 100K from 1st Jan to 7th Jan.   Was 289.4 and now another drop to 286.3.

So 3 days in a row of falling infection rates.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%) in Dumfries & Galloway (2 days in a row), Borders (23.52%)  , Shetlands (2 days in a row ), 

Large drop in cases (Over 5%) in  East Ayrshire (2 days in a row), East Lothian (2 days in a row), East Renfrewshire (Over 15% yesterday), Inverclyde (over 10% yesterday), Renfrewshire,

Small drop in cases in Aberdeenshire, City of Edinburgh, Dundee City, Falkirk, Fife, North Lanark, South Lanarkshire

No Change in cases in Glasgow, Highlands, Midlothian, Moray, Western Isles, North Ayrshire, Stirling (stable after big rise), West Lothian

Small increase in cases (All under 5%) in Aberdeen, Angus (2 days in a row), Argyll & Bute, Clacks, East Dunbartonshire, South Ayrshire, West Dunbartonshire

Only Shocker in Perth & Kinross up over 11% (Alyth, Coupar Angus & Meigle hotspots), 

Orkney 2 cases to 3 cases.

Unfortunately not a great latest recorded 24 Hours.  So cases per 100K for 2nd jan to 8th Jan went from 286.3 back up to 298.6  This is back to very close to the peak number 4 days ago. As for the councils themselves.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%)    NO Authority

Large drop in cases (Over 5%)  NO Authority

Small drop in cases (Under 5%) in Angus, East Lothian, East Renfrewshire, Midlothian, Perth & Kinross, Borders,  West Lothian

No Change in cases in  Western Isles,

Small increase in cases (All under 5%) in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, City of Edinburgh, Clacks, Falkirk, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire,  Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Stirling 

Larger Increase in cases (Over 5%) Argyll & Bute, Dumfries & Galloway, Dundee City, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, Fife, Glasgow City (Nearly 10%), Highlands, Inverclyde, Shetlands, West Dunbartonshire

Huge Increase in Cases (Over 10%) Moray,

Orkney 3 cases to 6 cases

What is causing such a jump? There are less people out and about than in summer where there were barely any cases day upon day. 

Over here there were weeks at a time where each day was something like 200 or 300 yet we've recently seen 40000 in one day in Germany. Is it simply down to more testing? 

8 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

What is causing such a jump? There are less people out and about than in summer where there were barely any cases day upon day. 

Over here there were weeks at a time where each day was something like 200 or 300 yet we've recently seen 40000 in one day in Germany. Is it simply down to more testing? 

Looks down to the new variant being much more infectious, and more testing probably.

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:
1 hour ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:
Again, could one miner kill another by walking past them five feet away?

I'm sorry but the risk of that is absolutely fucking minute. If you want to eliminate risk based on such micro probabilities as that then we would end up inside for the rest of our lives.

I didn't know you were an epidemiologist, you might want to get that information out there because all the world's eminent epidemiologists and virologists are saying its a very significant risk indeed. Where did you do your PhD?

And actually the idea is Covid won't be around for the rest of our lives, in significant numbers anyway, so your point is, politely, moot.

I didn't know you were an epidemiologist, you might want to get that information out there because all the world's eminent epidemiologists and virologists are saying its a very significant risk indeed. Where did you do your PhD?
And actually the idea is Covid won't be around for the rest of our lives, in significant numbers anyway, so your point is, politely, moot.
So you are saying that by passing within 5 feet of a colleague in a workplace presents a significant risk of death?? Do yourself a favour.

Looks down to the new variant being much more infectious, and more testing probably.

There is little point obsessing over daily numbers. The last few days have shown a clear lag, this is just catching up. Things didn’t deteriorate yesterday.

We’ve at a minimum stabilised in terms of new cases, and likely peaked. That’s about all we can tell at the moment. It’s still far too many cases on a daily basis and there’ll be Scottish hospitals under their worst strain yet in the next week or two even if new cases are falling.

3 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:
6 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

So you are saying that by passing within 5 feet of a colleague in a workplace presents a significant risk of death?? Do yourself a favour.

It does in D.A.F.C's workplace...

5 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:
8 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

No I'm not. The world's most eminent epidemiologists and virologists are saying that.  Have you been asleep for the last ten months?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Judging by my neck of the woods at least, there's almost certainly a laziness factor too.

Every time I've been to or passed my local corner shops of late, I've seen somebody without any face covering (pretty much exclusively men in their ~40s) which is a very different situation to Lockdown 1.0.  On my last visit, one maskless guy was standing right next to his workmate at the till, munching away on a sandwich.   Unless I missed some massive wave of asthma, more folk evidently just can't be arsed abiding by the rules this time around.   I can only imagine that these folk have some form of underlying "they don't know what they're doing and making it up on the fly, so why bother" attitude.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

Judging by my neck of the woods at least, there's almost certainly a tink factor too.

Every time I've been to or passed my local corner shops of late, I've seen somebody without ay face covering (pretty much exclusively men in their ~40s) which is a very different situation to Lockdown 1.0.  On my last visit, one maskless guy was standing right next to his workmate at the till, munching away on a sandwich.   Unless I missed some massive wave of asthma, more folk evidently just can't be arsed abiding by the rules this time around.   I can only imagine that these folk have some form of underlying "they don't know what they're doing and making it up on the fly, so why bother" attitude.

Educate yourself on the word "tink" and do better please