Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:
2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
And if it was a plane crash we'd be aero-engineers, a terrorist incident and we all work for MI6. You name it, people will comment "authorively". Maybe the internet isn't for you.

I've googled dad's army I know all about you.

Charming, debonair, worldly, attractive to women?

Do you mean old?

On 09/01/2021 at 15:35, superbigal said:

Onwards another day and the 7 day infection rate per 100K 31 Dec to 6th Jan drops from 297.4 to 289.4

So last 4 days a rise of 3.5%, a rise of 3%, a fall of 0.70% and now a further substantial fall of 2.69%

Hopefully now a sustained pattern.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%) in Dumfries & Galloway, East Renfrewshire (Over 15%), Highlands, Inverclyde, Western Isles (Over 50%), Shetlands (Over 30%), 

Large drop in cases (Over 5%) in Aberdeen, Argyl & Bute, Dundee,  East Ayrshire, East Lothian

Small drop in cases in Aberdeenshire, City of Edinburgh, Clacks, East Dunbarton, Falkirk, Fife, Glasgow, Midlothian, Moray, North Lanark, Perth & Kinross, Renfrewshire, Borders, South Ayr, West Dunbarton, West Lothia

No Change in cases in North Ayrshire, Orkney

Small increase in cases in Angus

Rise in cases in South Lanarkshire (4.03%), 

Shocker in Stirling up 25.22%

Sunday and figures on another day cases per 100K from 1st Jan to 7th Jan.   Was 289.4 and now another drop to 286.3.

So 3 days in a row of falling infection rates.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%) in Dumfries & Galloway (2 days in a row), Borders (23.52%)  , Shetlands (2 days in a row ), 

Large drop in cases (Over 5%) in  East Ayrshire (2 days in a row), East Lothian (2 days in a row), East Renfrewshire (Over 15% yesterday), Inverclyde (over 10% yesterday), Renfrewshire,

Small drop in cases in Aberdeenshire, City of Edinburgh, Dundee City, Falkirk, Fife, North Lanark, South Lanarkshire

No Change in cases in Glasgow, Highlands, Midlothian, Moray, Western Isles, North Ayrshire, Stirling (stable after big rise), West Lothian

Small increase in cases (All under 5%) in Aberdeen, Angus (2 days in a row), Argyll & Bute, Clacks, East Dunbartonshire, South Ayrshire, West Dunbartonshire

Only Shocker in Perth & Kinross up over 11% (Alyth, Coupar Angus & Meigle hotspots), 

Orkney 2 cases to 3 cases.

ICU figure today up a fair bit to 123.
Very small increase in overall hospital numbers to 1598.
So is it clear and widely accepted that this new strain is a serious one?

I was hoping for a large rise in cases but for the hospital numbers to be pretty stable - but it's not happening.

We really are still fucked with this virus, certainly until most folk are vaccinated.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I was hoping for a large rise in cases but for the hospital numbers to be pretty stable - but it's not happening.

We really are still fucked with this virus, certainly until most folk are vaccinated.

Will this not just be a lag of people who were infect pre lockdown? I’d imagine these numbers will drop significantly in the coming weeks due to lockdown. 

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

To be honest I was certain the hospital numbers would rise. This new variant is clearly more transmissible but  I never bought into any notion that it would be less serious in terms of hospital numbers. They were always going to rise. There is some evidence that the number of infections is again beginning to plateau and even fall so I'd hope hospital numbers will begin to do so in 10 days or so. 

Agree vaccination is absolutely key though.

5 hours ago, Tynierose said:

When I was doing my union secondment we all used to dread being allocated the student nurse cases.

They were mostly a nightmare with some really bizarre people that you wouldn't trust to look after a snail never mind a human.

The universities get funds for how many people are on the course I think so the vetting at times wasn't overly stringent hence why so many weirdos get in to courses.

Upon entering the wards it becomes quickly apparent that there is a student that's wrong un, the university gets phoned and that's when the fun starts.

You then find out said loon has attempted to be a just about everything before trying the nursing gig and it's always everyone else to blame.  

Happy days.

They are probably just in it for the footballers wages.

15 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

To be honest I was certain the hospital numbers would rise. This new variant is clearly more transmissible but  I never bought into any notion that it would be less serious in terms of hospital numbers. They were always going to rise. There is some evidence that the number of infections is again beginning to plateau and even fall so I'd hope hospital numbers will begin to do so in 10 days or so. 

Agree vaccination is absolutely key though.

We have been somewhat insulated in Scotland so far. It's a fucking warzone in London at the moment. We never quite reached the point where our usual Level 3 intensive care protocols were breached, but that's now happening in London. One nurse looking after multiple ventilated patients; number of patients per doctor over the standard; critical care being delivered in non-ICU areas; oxygen supply issues. This is the point that people will start to die from "sub-standard" care, because it is impossible to provide standard care.

Hopeful we will avoid this up here, we just about managed last time, but we're already having capacity problems. We're at about 180% currently. The patients don't turn around quickly. 

Edited by Cyclizine

1 minute ago, Cyclizine said:

We have been somewhat insulated in Scotland so far. It's a fucking warzone in London at the moment. We never quite reached the point where our usual Level 3 intensive care protocols were breached, but that's now happening in London. One nurse looking after multiple ventilated patients; number of patients per doctor over the standard; critical care being delivered in non-ICU areas; oxygen supply issues.

Hopeful we will avoid this up here, we just about managed last time, but we're already having capacity problems. We're at about 180% currently. The patients don't turn around quickly. 

Agree with all of that.  It's way better here than down South but precarious nonetheless.

A good statement from the British Society for Immunology. Recognises that the changes to dosing intervals are not fully backed up by research, but expert opinion is that it isn't likely to change individuals' risk, but pragmatically allows more vulnerable people to be vaccinated.

https://www.immunology.org/policy-and-public-affairs/briefings-and-position-statements/COVID-19-vaccine-dosing-schedules 

Edited by Cyclizine

45 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Will this not just be a lag of people who were infect pre lockdown? I’d imagine these numbers will drop significantly in the coming weeks due to lockdown. 

The 'real' lockdown from March reduced the transmission rate to about 0.6-0.7. It's hard to see how this one with about 17 million extra justifications for non-essential interaction will get close to that, so simply keeping the rates level is about all you can expect until the vaccinations kick in.