Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 minutes ago, G51 said:

Think the lockdown compliance strategy need a lot more carrot and a lot less stick tbh.

The carrot should have been furlough,  but not for staying off work and living the same as anyone else.   It should have been conditional on following a strict stay at home order.    Taking 1000s out the system and contributing to the spread shouldn’t have been an option.

Stay in to help out should have been the scheme we spent on as well.  Voluntary system to sign up to avoid pubs/gym etc for a period of time and be payed to do so.

Edited by parsforlife

3 minutes ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

It is genuinely incredible that we are nearly a year into this pandemic and folk are still churning out 'its just like the flu' as an argument.

I don’t say it was just like the flu. I said it kills vulnerable and elderly as the flu does. 

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

The carrot should have been furlough,  but not for staying off work and living the same as anyone else.   It should have been conditional on following a strict stay at home order.    Taking 1000s out the system and contributing to the spread shouldn’t have been an option

Eh?

You can't just cut people's income and leave them penniless and unable to earn just because they went for a walk outdoors. That's absolutely nonsensical.

27 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I’m not debating the effectiveness of masks or refusing to wear one during the pandemic. But having to cover your face by law for no good reason is wrong

Where does the no good reason bit come from if you don’t want to debate the effectiveness of them?

The carrot should have been furlough,  but not for staying off work and living the same as anyone else.   It should have been conditional on following a strict stay at home order.    Taking 1000s out the system and contributing to the spread shouldn’t have been an option

Aren’t you a delight! If you’re on furlough it means your employment is on life support. Is that the circumstances anyone really wants to act like they’re on holiday? Don’t get me wrong there are some idiots who live in lala land and don’t give a thought to the bigger picture. I doubt very many people actually wanted to be on furlough

Like i said before, even the c***s in the jail get out for exercise

22 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

No, but it kills the elderly/vulnerable like the cold and flu can. My ex worked in a care home and 2 or 3 years ago about 8 residents died within a month because of the flu. Nobody outwith family or friends would care about flu deaths any other year 

Not sure what your point is. People don't act with covid like it's the flu or a cold because it's not like a flu of a cold. Kinda like people don't act like a bumped funny bone is not a broken arm because it's not a broken arm. 

That's about as clear as I can make it

1 minute ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

It is genuinely incredible that we are nearly a year into this pandemic and folk are still churning out 'its just like the flu' as an argument.

Why? If you disregard the risk to those in the vulnerable group, it has a very very low IFR. If your counter to that argument is that it is much higher as you get older, then you must also accept that once we protect those most vulnerable then it really is "just like the flu"

Perhaps "just another coronavirus" will be a better 'argument' post completion of the Phase 1 plan, despite it more than likely being less lethal than the other coronaviruses as a result.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why? If you disregard the risk to those in the vulnerable group, it has a very very low IFR. If your counter to that argument is that it is much higher as you get older, then you must also accept that once we protect those most vulnerable then it really is "just like the flu"

Perhaps "just another coronavirus" will be a better 'argument' post completion of the Phase 1 plan, despite it more than likely being less lethal than the other coronaviruses as a result.

What about younger folk who got fucked with it, my BiLs pal was a fit marathon runner who got it and struggles to get up a flight of stairs months later. Dont think a cold leaves that sort of impact.

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Not sure what your point is. People don't act with covid like it's the flu or a cold because it's not like a flu of a cold. Kinda like people don't act like a bumped funny bone is not a broken arm because it's not a broken arm. 

That's about as clear as I can make it

My point is that people are trotting out “we must protect the elderly/vulnerable” and that ANY death is too many. Whereas before now nobody would give a second thought about any excess deaths attributed to cold/flu/pneumonia etc

6 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

What about younger folk who got fucked with it, my BiLs pal was a fit marathon runner who got it and struggles to get up a flight of stairs months later. Dont think a cold leaves that sort of impact.

It’s called post viral fatigue. I was a fit and healthy 23 year old and I took chickenpox. I was floored for a year. I couldn’t walk up the stairs without being exhausted. After a shower I was so tired I had to nap. I was off work for 3 months then a phased return to part time hours. Any viral infection has the capacity to leave fatigue. “Long covid” is a rebranded PVF

2 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

We're venturing into the "acceptable risk" chat here, but, unfortunately for your BiL's pal, for the country as a whole, relatively rare examples of younger people developing post viral fatigue fall into that category.

There is risk in all aspects of life. And we will reach a point where the risk from Covid-19 is deemed acceptable. It won't be zero.

It's extremely sad and worrying the effects lockdown is having on the younger generation. A customer's nephew took his life near Arthur's seat at the weekend. 18 years old. Talented young footballer with his life ahead of him. Studying for a degree in accounts. Absolutely tragic and heartwrenching. 😢

1 minute ago, philpy said:

It's extremely sad and worrying the effects lockdown is having on the younger generation. A customer's nephew took his life near Arthur's seat at the weekend. 18 years old. Talented young footballer with his life ahead of him. Studying for a degree in accounts. Absolutely tragic and heartwrenching. 😢

I saw that online. Heartbreaking and sadly a tale that’s becoming all too familiar. Mental health across all age groups is bound to have deteriorated in the last 10 months. I know for me personally it has  

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This “protecting vulnerable people” line really is wearing thin. Up until 10 months ago nobody on here would give a second thought about spreading the cold or flu to the vulnerable which could kill them. Why the difference now? If you’d have told people to put their life on hold for a year and live with restrictions, plus the threat of losing their job (or only existing to go to work) you’d have been laughed at. 

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

The difference is covid is neither flu nor a cold. 🤷‍♂️ 

And we've had a flu vaccine for years