Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Not really, more sensible to vaccinate those who care for them so they can remain alive and well to keep caring for them. They are also people who are at higher risk of catching it by being frontline workers.

At risk individuals can do more to protect themselves (I.e remaining at home etc- which isn’t a guarantee of not catching it but lessens the risk).

Reality is most of them would not die or require hospital treatment, as is well trodden fact by now

I think the vaccination programme is the wrong way round

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's clearly closer to it - you can only leave home for essential purposes etc.

I'm sure though that it won't be as harsh as that.  In March and April you couldn't drive somewhere to go for a walk, playgrounds were shut, you couldn't meet anyone from outside your household outside etc.  Haven't heard any talk of that.

There’s lots of businesses that are non-essential but that are not obliged to close this time around.  Given the number of people involved that’s a huge difference IMO.

Btw only one person from a household can meet with one other outside, under 12s excluded.

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've worked in three schools since qualifying and probably about 200+ of my Facebook friends are school staff at all levels from my current and previous schools. Not one is a member of that page.

I'm going to check that out just now actually. 

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
17 minutes ago, renton said:
Did Sturgeon not just say they expect to have access to 900,000 doses by the end of January, including the 100k already vaccinated.

Yes so pretty much what the harbingers of doom were saying wouldn't happen. Again she did add the caveats around supply but that's a given for everyone.

900k vaccines by the end of January would be a brilliant result.

Unless I've missed something in her statement, the projected figure of 2.5m vaccinated by the start of May though - although they've said they want to speed that up - would raise a lot of questions. Namely, why almost 1m vaccines can be delivered in little over 6 weeks at rollout but only a further 1.6m doses are currently being projected for the following 13 weeks.

3 minutes ago, Binos said:

Reality is most of them would not die or require hospital treatment, as is well trodden fact by now

I think the vaccination programme is the wrong way round

The point is that you need them not to be off sick because they are the people who  know how to treat those who catch it and end up in hospital, they are the people who are giving other the vaccine. We can’t afford for these people to be sick.

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've worked in three schools since qualifying and probably about 200+ of my Facebook friends are school staff at all levels from my current and previous schools. Not one is a member of that page.

Yeah doesn't look like anyone I know at all is a member. I pruned all the twats from my own school a while ago though 

Just now, djchapsticks said:

900k vaccines by the end of January would be a brilliant result.

Unless I've missed something in her statement, the projected figure of 2.5m vaccinated by the start of May though - although they've said they want to speed that up - would raise a lot of questions. Namely, why almost 1m vaccines can be delivered in little over 6 weeks at rollout but only a further 1.6m doses are currently being projected for the following 13 weeks.

I guess after the first 12 weeks any number of doses you have starts to be divided between first and second doses which slows up the number who can receive a first dose.

Second, my guess is that planning for vaccine supply starts to get wooly after a month or two.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

You’ll need to explain that one.

It’s clear to any person who doesn’t just see red mist when they hear the word “Tories”. I’d be reluctant to vote for them myself, but I do perceive them to be a good opposition.

1 minute ago, renton said:

I guess after the first 12 weeks any number of doses you have starts to be divided between first and second doses which slows up the number who can receive a first dose.

Second, my guess is that planning for vaccine supply starts to get wooly after a month or two.

Good point... 2.5m people vaccinated does not necessarily mean 2.5m doses.