Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I get my 1st Pfizer vaccine jab today (31st).

All it does is reduce the chance that I won’t get sick if I get covid. It’s possible for me to still get the virus, carry it and pass it onto others.

Increase the chance you won't get sick?

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

All it does is reduce the chance that I won’t get sick if I get covid. It’s possible for me to still get the virus, carry it and pass it onto others.

We don't know enough to reach conclusions either way at the moment. 

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Na you are fooked but on the bright side your microsoft excel skills will have improved

How can things get any tighter than tier 4? Takeaways shut again what use would that have other than putting more people out of work/on furlough.? Back to being allow just 1 hour outdoors again when we are told the virus in mainly prevalent indoors? Horse bolted etc.

No elite sport?

If restrictions (including social distancing) are to continue after a mass vaccination programme I'd suggest that the next football season shouldn't even take place.

It's a nonsense that this is even being spoken about though. Someone in government will need to one day have the balls to end social distancing. In all honesty, I'm not sure NS has that in her. I can see the election in May hinging on this kind of thing

6 hours ago, Shipa said:

Thing is of course that at the start of lockdown, March/April time, there seemed to be a vibe that life was different and potentially better, maybe we could change how we live, but as soon as things started to open up everyone wanted back to the old normal, and now it is very much that way, there are restricions in place right now but most people just seem to want back to their old lives, no matter how bad they were.

That was probably because there was obviously a honeymoon period combined with better weather. But you only need to look at coastal properties and properties in Scotland have been the fastest selling in the UK, I would take this to mean people no long need to live in cities to work for companies based in cities. Also now that having a holiday home in Spain is a right ball ache some, a small minority, may have purchased holiday homes in Scotland but far more likely that they have bought coastal properties along the south coast of England.

I refuse to believe anyone is hankering for getting back on packed trains and busses 5 days a week spending hours and a fortune for the pleasure.

Eventually offices will be scaled back, we have yet to see a proper crash in office space price/ rent but it will be coming.

Hopefully in the summer months at least people will return to using active travel and staying fairly local to spend their money rather than jumping in their car to the nearest supermarket, this will help keep emissions low and mean that wealth no longer sits in the most convenient, as time may no longer be a defining feature on our life and quality becomes more important especially post brexit.

I wonder if long term we will see a change in Scotland's attitude to drink and drinking, I would hope so as very few of us have spent every night for nearly a year getting hammered.

I'm sure a lot of things will change back to how they were before but I think a Pandora's box has been opened and some industries will take a very long time to recover namely Cruise Ships, Night Club, Indoor Music Venues, because noone wants a sanitised version of those kind of experiences.

If the continuing chat around restrictions etc is their way of keeping everyones eye on the ball until the vaccine has been rolled out sufficiently then you would have to say in a year where the govt and media have been shite at a lot of stuff, they are remarkably shite at this.

If it's legit, and they intend to use what were emergency powers in a non emergency situation they can sook my Wang if they think il be following any ongoing restrictions. Problem is, whilst I can go back to having family and friends in my house, that doesnt help business and industries getting thrown on the scrapheap.

If there are still restrictions in May, my disdain for that overreach will likely trump my desire to allow SNP to continue in charge to chase Indyref2. That sounds quite extreme maybe but it's how I feel currently. I remain hopeful that pressure will start growing on restrictions even by the end of January.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

If the continuing chat around restrictions etc is their way of keeping everyones eye on the ball until the vaccine has been rolled out sufficiently then you would have to say in a year where the govt and media have been shite at a lot of stuff, they are remarkably shite at this.

If it's legit, and they intend to use what were emergency powers in a non emergency situation they can sook my Wang if they think il be following any ongoing restrictions. Problem is, whilst I can go back to having family and friends in my house, that doesnt help business and industries getting thrown on the scrapheap.

If there are still restrictions in May, my disdain for that overreach will likely trump my desire to allow SNP to continue in charge to chase Indyref2. That sounds quite extreme maybe but it's how I feel currently. I remain hopeful that pressure will start growing on restrictions even by the end of January.

I fully expect a groundswell of people resisting this in next 4-6 weeks if the rollout goes as planned.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Need to see how cases evolve over the next few days but I wouldnt expect us to be out of tier 4 on 11th January. Suspect we might be in it until the end of January.

If they can get R below 1 and cases going down at the same time as the vaccine is rolled out and reducing deaths and hospitalisations then you'd imagine it'd be pretty much impossible to justify continuing restrictions at the levels we are at. I suspect though that we'd see some remaining restrictions of a tier 1 type into the Spring though.

I guess the thing is that they don't know if the vaccine stops transmission, and won't for a while. If it doesn't then it is basically admitting that Covid has become endemic and I'm not sure anyone in government is ready to have that particular conversation yet.

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Need to see how cases evolve over the next few days but I wouldnt expect us to be out of tier 4 on 11th January. Suspect we might be in it until the end of January.

If they can get R below 1 and cases going down at the same time as the vaccine is rolled out and reducing deaths and hospitalisations then you'd imagine it'd be pretty much impossible to justify continuing restrictions at the levels we are at. I suspect though that we'd see some remaining restrictions of a tier 1 type into the Spring though.

I guess the thing is that they don't know if the vaccine stops transmission, and won't for a while. If it doesn't then it is basically admitting that Covid has become endemic and I'm not sure anyone in government is ready to have that particular conversation yet.

Why does it matter?

The vaccine protects those most at risk. The old "oh but everyone is at risk" chat is utter nonsense, as the figures have shown for months.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Why does it matter?

Difference between eradicating a disease and having an endemic low threat disease I guess. 

Public health officials will obviously favour the former. At this point it won't happen but you can see how that thinking drives the current communications out of government.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Difference between eradicating a disease and having an endemic low threat disease I guess. 

Public health officials will obviously favour the former. At this point it won't happen but you can see how that thinking drives the current communications out of government.

It won’t be eradicated.