Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Got petrol earlier and noticed nobody else was giving a f**k about wiping hands or using towels/gloves. Manky gits. It only takes seconds.

I thought the whole "it transmits really easily through touching things" myth was punted into the bin months ago.

"Not wearing gloves to put petrol in your car is manky" - dearie me.

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 minutes ago, renton said:

Mortality rate is one thing, overall number of hospitalizations is another. It wasn't so long ago that the forecast for NHS Lanarkshire was showing it well over stretch capacity before it went into tier 4. Any argument based on treatment within hospital relies on having enough spare capacity in the hospitals to care for those who need it. I'm not sure there is any model or forecast that allows you to do that while having unrestricted mixing in a susceptible population.

If only there was some spare capacity deliberately set up by the government at the height of the first wave, that has sat around pointlessly in the entire period since. Perhaps named after some famous nurses?

Surely it follows that the vaccine is the only way to reduce hospitalizations consistently. Therefore some level of restrictions is required until you at least have vaccinated those mostly likely to land up in hospital and have assessed the impact of those vaccinations on hospital numbers.

It does not even remotely follow that the village of Scourie must be in tier 4 rather than tier 0 until the SG gets off its arse to deliver vaccines and Sridhar and the gang are sure that there won't be too much pressure on hospitals, no. The NHS is under extreme pressure every winter: we were not seeing anything different in Scotland prior to December 21 other than the length of time that NHS workers have had to work under those conditions.

The tough reality though is that trashing your entire economy to make life easier for publicly funded healthcare workers in early 2021 is not a credible trade-off.

That doesn't mean tier 4 all the way to that point, you'd hope.

Well that's alright then I guess! 

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Got petrol earlier and noticed nobody else was giving a f**k about wiping hands or using towels/gloves. Manky gits. It only takes seconds.

I sanitise my hands in the car before and after, trying not to pick my nose inbetween.

I thought the whole "it transmits through touching things" myth was punted into the bin months ago.
That's not a myth?

Sure if the pumps are left outside in the sun for 24 hours its fine but if you've got thousands touching them each day then they're a hotspot for transmission.
I thought this was the basics?

19 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

The live music promotions company has had no support other than furlough, despite being closed for business for 9 months and counting, with summer 2021 looking like the earliest we’ll be allowed to trade again. Live music promoters haven’t even been eligible for Strategic Framework grants for businesses that have been forced to close or otherwise restricted by government restrictions, although I believe this loophole (one of many egregious funding gaps) will be closed in January.

It is this that has made Scottish football's shrieking the lack of government support absolutely risible incidentally. An industry that chose to restart, is charging through the nose for an inferior product and yet has still banged its rattle about the injustice of it all from day one. 

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I await someone calling you a Tory off the back of this post.

I got called one earlier in the thread several weeks ago because I bemoaned the fact that my Mrs, who is a sole trading hairdresser working out of a wee summerhouse we got built in our garden, couldn't trade anymore despite adhering very carefully to guidelines and any sort of help was vague or non-existent because she was a new business who had never submitted a set of books yet. 

I got called a Tory because I was concerned that 50% of our household income was removed from us through no fault of our own. :lol: 

Hope she has some kind of insurance she can call upon.

It's a shame that businesses like your wife can continue to operate as clearly the risk is low but I dont think short of EHO's visiting every single premises that there is an easy answer. 

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

OK maybe not a myth, but people touching things is not a big driver of transmission. In fact the risk is tiny.

Well I guess if everyone had better hygiene and were careful the transmission would be lower. Worth doing, it hardly costs anything.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

OK maybe not a myth, but people touching things is not a big driver of transmission. In fact the risk is tiny.

Probably low but people washing their hands should probably be encouraged when ever people arrive/ leave from a place 

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

Well I guess if everyone had better hygiene and were careful the transmission would be lower. Worth doing, it hardly costs anything.

There is a massive difference between "better hygiene" i.e. washing hands after using the toilet / sneezing etc, and Philpying people for using a petrol pump without wearing gloves.

There is little to no evidence of Fomite transmission, it's not March.

Sympathize with all the guys who couldn't have there business going through this, and everyone working for them. A lot has been badly handled for you guys. 

I disagree with the criticism of Devi though. I think she's had a much better outlook on this than Jason leitch. And the government as a whole.

This is going to go on a while yet. So there could be time to do things better if the will was there.

4 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Sympathize with all the guys who couldn't have there business going through this, and everyone working for them. A lot has been badly handled for you guys. 

I disagree with the criticism of Devi though. I think she's had a much better outlook on this than Jason leitch. And the government as a whole.

This is going to go on a while yet. So there could be time to do things better if the will was there.

Yeh mate if you believe in unicorns, and pots of gold at the end of a rainbow she's had a stormer.

Not so much if you have mental health issues and were told basically tough shit  get on with it.

Lose your business, don't worry a wee walk in the rain will solve everything as long as you make your own sunshine.

And as for her obsession with eradication of covid in the summer, yeh that worked well.

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I wonder how many of the folk on here with the mindset of "one covid death is one too many", were happily going about their business every other year not worried about spreading colds/flu to the elderly and vulnerable which could potentially kill them. What makes this so different? 

Give it up, you utter fucking moon man. 

I think Sridhar, arguably, deserves more criticism than Leitch to be honest.  I think Leitch being on the radio, to begin with, was a good thing as there was a lot of uncertainty back in the spring about exactly what this was.  He, like Sturgeon, is actually quite a good speaker.  My issue has been that lately he's been making a lot of media appearances where he seems to make claims about what will be happening about the longevity and severity of restrictions and I think that undermines Sturgeon and the governments ability to make decisions utilising all of the information from all sectors of the country (economic & social impact, policing etc.)  If Leitch was just coming on to take questions from the public and help provide answers after decisions were made, or to help explain some new research then I'd be all for him doing so, but I feel that that he's overstepping the mark a bit now.  

At least Leitch in his capacity of a Clinical Director has some clout in government.  Sridhar  is just an advisor, and has no role in government at all beyond giving advice to the SG and should only be one of many voices.  My issue with her is that she seems quite happy to have seen her stock rise throughout this pandemic and is not exactly shying away from getting her face on TV what seems like everyday.  Again, forgive my cynicism, but I can't help but feel that she has benefitted (professionally, at least) from the pandemic and as someone who works as a Professor at Edinburgh Uni is probably not in the same financial or social situation as large swathes of Scottish society.  She can tweet nonsense about making your own sunshine or whatever bollocks, but I find that to be highly patronising and dismissive of the very real consequences that the majority of us are suffering as a result of these lockdowns she seems to be in favour of.  

Edited by super_carson