Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If that decision had been made prior to the holidays, why on the 28th July was Swinney and the SG still talking about the decision to be made?

Some bumpkin telling a teacher who literally lived through the specific experience that they are wrong. You love to see it.

9 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

For probably the only time ever, a lot of middle class, potentially tory voters are experiencing the UC system. Once the doors open a bit more it's easier to push.

Only so far as them asking for benefit checks then being generally quite angry that you're not entitled to UC with £20K in the bank, and/or when your partner is still working and earning £25K a year. I can count on one hand the number of Damascene conversations I've had with folk who've suddenly realised that life on Universal Credit is in fact a bit shite. If anything, the last few months have massively exacerbated the "What about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!" types, largely over the £500 to NHS workers and now over the additional payments linked to free school meals. Predictable, but still rather disappointing. 

The UC uplift, whilst welcome initially, is going to cause massive problems when it gets fucked back down to previous levels as well. As someone who works in the area of benefits and debt advice, I'm absolutely dreading the new year. 

13 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If that decision had been made prior to the holidays, why on the 28th July was Swinney and the SG still talking about the decision to be made?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-53111180?__twitter_impression=true

The decision might have been finalised later, but what had been Plan A swapped places with the former contingency on 23rd June.

Look at the posts on here from that date.  It was a swift about turn.  Some schools had just published details of their blended model, only to have it suddenly rendered probably irrelevant.

Before the holidays kicked in, everybody knew to expect a full return unless case numbers radically worsened again.

The decision sure as Hell had nothing to do with a response to the 4th August exams mess, as claimed by VT.

10 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The Star, voice of the nation

Nuts? I thought it was lettuce.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Going off at a tangent, it's a sine of the times and I thought they'd have all angles covered.

Cos they're guided by the science.

See during the SG's daily Covid briefing, would it not be an idea to also give the running total of people who have been vaccinated too?  End each briefing with a bit of hope?  I presume they'll have that data to hand?

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Some bumpkin telling a teacher who literally lived through the specific experience that they are wrong. You love to see it.

Shocking banter from one of the Metropolitan elite. 

Bet he wipes his arse with wet wipes so no toilet rolls doesn’t even affect him!

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Shocking banter from one of the Metropolitan elite. 

Bet he wipes his arse with wet wipes so no toilet rolls doesn’t even affect him!

Yes, it's pretty poor form for him to describe Gaz that way.  I'm not sure why he's done it.  I'd assume that as a Falkirk fan, Gaz probably comes from somewhere in industrial central Scotland, so hardly a bumpkin.

Marshmallo even gave him a greenie for it.  Attacking a fellow Bairn in such a way seems distasteful.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

See during the SG's daily Covid briefing, would it not be an idea to also give the running total of people who have been vaccinated too?  End each briefing with a bit of hope?  I presume they'll have that data to hand?

Write to them to suggest it: covidexitstrategy@gov.scot