Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Yep, WFH would be a great option for most if you can waltz down to the pub (or at least out to the garden/park in summer), as well as having some external office space to use as well when needed/to mix things up. Living in your workspace indefinitely when it's raining sideways outside and dark apart from 11-3 at best provides none of the disconnect that is needed to function properly.

This is why they should either f**k off with these restrictions or ramp it up to full public holiday status instead and bin off all non-essential work that can't sit and wait for three weeks: which includes education.

Some people are quite happy to work from home.  I work in a team of 11 and the only person that really wants to get back to the office is the team leader.  He’s a clown that insisted on continuing to get on the tube every day to go into the central London office pre the March lockdown despite it being official company policy at the time to WFH.

I don’t have external office space and have been in a pub once since March and function perfectly well.

Your sweeping generalisations are totally off the mark.  I know it’s not for everyone but very few people I know have a desperate yearning to traipse back into an office every day.  I would add that most of my friends work in IT and have been using Skype and/or teams to work from home on a semi regular basis for years.

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Absolutely this. My abiding memory of the early days of the virus was when they were filling mass graves on Hart Island in New York and it was pretty much the global centre of the pandemic at that point. I quickly looked at the flight schedules one morning and 4 flights had landed at Heathrow by 11am from New York. That was just Heathrow, f**k knows how many landed at any other UK airports.

Hardly coincidental that New Zealand have been one of the best countries at dealing with this. Maybe if we'd, you know, treated our status as an island as some sort of benefit, we might have done a wee bit better. Quite ironic really that we are in the middle of something to make us isolationist in one sense, yet a percentage of the population couldn't wait to f**k off to Greece/Spain/Portugal at the first opportunity in the bloody summer.

In fairness the New Zealanders were helped by being over 1000 miles from their nearest neighbour and not having the world's busiest international airport either.

The start of this lockdown never really made any sense to me, at least the first one was for the whole country and people gradually knew what the rules were and could come to terms with them. It should have been the same this time, fannying about with different tiers that seem to change every other day is just ridiculous. "You can't go to the pub, but you can go to a cafe till 6, you can go to the pub 20 miles away though, but only till 10, next week you can go to the pub here but you need to have a meal, also you can only go to any of these places if you're going with people you live with".

If we had went into the same lockdown as the first time round things would have been a lot better for everyone. 

In fairness the New Zealanders were helped by being over 1000 miles from their nearest neighbour and not having the world's busiest international airport either.

This is true but the ease with which people could come and go as they pleased internationally in the UK was absolutely ridiculous to start with.

Interesting thread. Suggests in the comments that the higher transmissability in younger age groups would go some way to explaining why the data for schools down south recently has been so different to the data up here - and we can probably imply from this that this is why we're finally seeing action in the schools up here in terms of a more blended model. 

Seems pretty clear from the steepness of the graphs down south that despite the low number of confirmed infections (17) of this variant up here that if action isn't taken now, there's a real possibility our numbers will strtst to look pretty nasty pretty quickly. Also bear in mind that 17 infections would usually imply a higher number due to undetected infections. 

For me its time to revisit shielding in a serious way. If the new variant really can spread so much easier, its going to bypass every measure we put in place except a Wuhan welded into the house job. Aye shielding is shit. Not as shite as trashing any semblance of an existence for literally everyone in the country though.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Collectively we just need to hope that cases stay as they are or drop off even despite Christmas day, and this bullshit only lasts the 3 weeks. I reserve the right to have a cranial supernova event though if we stay in tier 4 come late January even though cases are dropping.

...the only way out has always been herd immunity and overly drastic lockdowns merely served to prolong the pain on that in the absence of effective pharmaceutical intervention. As long as the vaccines that have been or soon will be approved for use are still effective against this (conveniently just in time for reversing Christmas relaxations and keeping the plebs indoors for a no deal Brexit) variant that's not that far off. Keep the heid and resist falling into mass hysteria.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Just merely pointing out that given the savaging that nasty Boris and the nasty Tories get on here, it seems a bit odd than Nicola escapes criticism for following him about like a little puppy.

I dont think nicola has followed him all the time? Not saying they havent been rather shit but they have been slightly better than boris etc although that is not saying much

49 minutes ago, Aufc said:

I dont think nicola has followed him all the time? Not saying they havent been rather shit but they have been slightly better than boris etc although that is not saying much

She didn't even folllw him yesterday when this claim was made. 

Johnston has essentially cancelled Christmas for large parts of the South East. Not much has changed here aside from the travel ban from outside Scotland (which will def impact on some, but nowhere near all) 

She'd ready shortened the Xmas window from 5 days to 1,something Johnston hadn't done. It's just a bitter soundbite that bears little scrutiny. 

Whether she's done better or worse, fact is, we've done things differently than WM (as have Wales). 

Edited by madwullie

13 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I think the problem is the media is such a fragmented estate these days that anyone caught causing trouble or asking difficult questions just gets sidelined. You want in? Don’t rock the boat. 

Plus the general dumbing down of society for quite a while now means a lot of these journalists are not very bright.

13 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

This is the lowest I've felt in the last nine months. Fucking miserable. This isn't fucking living.

13 hours ago, mizfit said:

Tonight broke me. I’ve not been so low in a long time.

Been crying for the last half an hour, don’t really know what else to do. Works been a distraction but it can only be for so long.

Away to watch the penalties from the Serbia game. That’ll put a smile back on my face.

I fucking feel for you guys, I really do.

Against the tide of people who have understandably been saying 'what must be done, must be done', many others on here who were fully supportive of the first lockdown in spring, have been massively and justifiably concerned about the negative, serious and long-lasting effects of continually pulling the rug from under people's feet and removing their ability to live, function and move. A concern that people will become fatigued, disheartened, depressed is now very much a reality.

They CANNOT continue to impose these restrictions indefinitely. The cost to human life will be far greater and long term than Covid and won't be fixed by an injection. The long term issues on people's psyche caused by this are already out there and will be felt for many, many years to come.

All I can say just now to both of you guys is to please try and endure and know that whatever you're feeling, it's shared by millions of others. My messages are open if either of you, or anyone else who is feeling it just wants someone to talk to or vent to.