Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Businesses in much of the central belt reopened a week ago. A week later and they're being told they'll need to shut yet again.

I really am struggling to get my head around this new variant given that a week ago it had never even been mentioned. Getting updates from mainstream media only would leave you suicidal so I've been reading into things myself and it seems virus mutation is completely normal. I feel like I should be putting a tin hat on every time I suggest it but it seems to me that there's more to this than simply "a new more infectious variant".

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It will get better next year, hopefully early.

Talk to your mates and your family. It's tough just now but people can be there for each other.

I had you down as "the coloured circle c**t" at one point, but wise words and good advice there. Spot on. 

50 minutes ago, renton said:

Either the mutant strain is as bad as is made out, in which case its the right thing to do if it means current mitigations wouldn't stop  hospitals getting overwhelmed, or it isn't and at least we'll end up pushing the caseload way down and we can all exit into a nice low tier, I guess.

The two weeks are up and Edinburgh enters into the sunny uplands of Tier 2... But wait, what's that? The distant rumble of thousands of students returning from England after Christmas...

18 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

This is the lowest I've felt in the last nine months. Fucking miserable. This isn't fucking living.

17 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Tonight broke me. I’ve not been so low in a long time.

Been crying for the last half an hour, don’t really know what else to do. Works been a distraction but it can only be for so long.

Away to watch the penalties from the Serbia game. That’ll put a smile back on my face.

It’s utterly demoralising. I feel the same but cling to the hope that vaccines will get us out of this.  If there was an end point of three months when enough will get vaccinated it would be something to cling to. We need something.

Just now, tamthebam said:

The two weeks are up and Edinburgh enters into the sunny uplands of Tier 2... But wait, what's that? The distant rumble of thousands of students returning from England after Christmas...

Phased return and mass testing. It might help.

Kick in the baws this. Not too bothered about Xmas, almost 2 weeks off work so will just take it easy but was determined to knock boozing on the head for a month or two at the start of next year and hit the gym, given there would be f**k all else to do.

Worst January on record when this lockdown inevitably gets extended. Not even had a sniff of furlough since this shitshow began in March.

Is travelling to Norn Iron to provide care and support for someone who’s vulnerable and isolated essential?

The travel ban has absolutely broken my girlfriend. Getting home to see her vulnerable mum has been the only think keeping them going for months now.

11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Not that its a good thing to see people talking the way some of the last few posts are on here. Its really sad actually, but it does make me feel a bit more rational in the way I reacted to the news to see i'm not somehow out there on my own and being some sort of doom monger. I really think they have measured this wrongly. I mean, to all intents and purposes with the exception of the gym, this wont change my day to day routine much at all, yet I just feel this massive dark cloud about it.

The no change to day to day routine is actually becoming the issue though. The new message is that no, there will actually be zero opportunity to enjoy time off over the festive period - one day excluded and oh aye don't use the wrong wrapping paper then as well - before the majority are then launched back into their workplace in January, which for many will be the same house they've been in 23/7 already for an indefinite period of time. 

Setting three weeks' public holidays instead and winding it down to actually essential activity only would be preferable and would have an even greater impact on transmission than this worst of both worlds stance. 

Edited by vikingTON

Sad to read about so many folk feeling scunnered and struggling mentally because of all this. I said before that the only saving grace of the original lockdown was it was great weather, people could go walking/cycling/jogging etc to keep well mentally. I’m dreading Jan and possibly Feb. I hate winter months at the best of times let alone when I can’t travel to places to help clear my head. I’ve had a few loses this year and grieving whilst not having the usual distractions like football or gigs to take your mind off things has been so hard. Wish there was some positives to look forward to but certainly first half of 2021 it isn’t looking likely 😞

I wonder how long it will take for Nicola to realise that people will meet on Xmas Eve or before, if they werent able to meet on Xmas day itself. 

Announcement seems like it has almost purposely been made to create a mad rush to mix amongst households up until 25th 

5 minutes ago, charlie king mvp said:

It’s utterly demoralising. I feel the same but cling to the hope that vaccines will get us out of this.  If there was an end point of three months when enough will get vaccinated it would be something to cling to. We need something.

The alternative to your scenario being that the hospitality, travel, spectator sports industries all cease to exist and all of the jobs etc in them and that support them.

So aye, you are right. It's time the clowns in charge were honest with the people about what has to be achieved ,which is absolutely nothing more than a situation where the NHS isn't under threat. Its absolutely baffling that its become more than that and more baffling still now that theres a vaccine(s) available. Stop talking like life can never go back because theres a new cause of death available for f**k sake.

Businesses in much of the central belt reopened a week ago. A week later and they're being told they'll need to shut yet again.

I really am struggling to get my head around this new variant given that a week ago it had never even been mentioned. Getting updates from mainstream media only would leave you suicidal so I've been reading into things myself and it seems virus mutation is completely normal. I feel like I should be putting a tin hat on every time I suggest it but it seems to me that there's more to this than simply "a new more infectious variant".

The new variant was known about and talked of in the press a few weeks and months ago. It probably got caught up in the noise but the data about it must be pretty scary because the likes of Johnson and Sunak have resisted fresh lockdowns and now they’ve cancelled Christmas with very little notice. Same in Scotland, we’ve had strong regional levels and fully open education but that’s been canned as well.

3 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I wonder how long it will take for Nicola to realise that people will meet on Xmas Eve or before, if they werent able to meet on Xmas day itself. 

Announcement seems like it has almost purposely been made to create a mad rush to mix amongst households up until 25th 

Your not meant to mix amongst households this week either!

Edited by Detournement

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The new variant was known about and talked of in the press a few weeks and months ago. It probably got caught up in the noise but the data about it must be pretty scary because the likes of Johnson and Sunak have resisted fresh lockdowns and now they’ve cancelled Christmas with very little notice. Same in Scotland, we’ve had strong regional levels and fully open education but that’s been canned as well.

Or increased seasonal susceptibility and Christmas retail and hospitality in London and the wider south east has spiked transmission.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

How do you shut the border between Scotland and England ?

I'll give you an example. My son lives in London. He recently, through no fault of his own, lost his job and his rented accomodation.

He's booked on a train to come back up to Scotland on Monday and spend Christmas with us. 

Are we going to cancel that because the government out of nowhere give 7 hours notice of not being able to travel, and make him stay in London where he has absolutely no place to live ?

Are we f*ck. He'll come up on the 12.00 on Monday from Kings Cross and the 'restrictions' can get tae f**k. He'll wear a mask the whole way, stay away from everybody, and be collected by car from the station when he arrives.

This isn't wartime. They can't destroy lives to protect a tiny amount of people who may/may not be harmed by this virus. 

entitled twat, so what you're saying is '''m protecting what's mine'' and everyone else can get fucked ? Maybe its you who should go to your son in London, Your f**k you jack attitude is the norm down there.