Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Several mutations of the virus have been reported during the pandemic. It was also predicted to do so. As long as it's not more lethal I don't think it will have a huge impact on how we deal with it. There seems to be confidence that the vaccines will continue to work which is the most important thing

19 minutes ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

The more contagious, the weaker the virus surely. Good news really, since the virus isn't going anywhere

Not sure where you're getting this from, but it's not true. There's no trade off between the two, although if you get to ebola levels of speed and severity there are practical limits on how many people an infected person can have contact with. 

Most likely explanation for this "new strain" being announced is to make the govt sound like they didn't need to act earlier, although they should have. 

There are new strains all the time, every time there's a mutation. Here's a good summary. Highly recommended for infographic fans. 

https://graphics.reuters.com/HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS/EVOLUTION/yxmpjqkdzvr/

8 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Several mutations of the virus have been reported during the pandemic. It was also predicted to do so. As long as it's not more lethal I don't think it will have a huge impact on how we deal with it. There seems to be confidence that the vaccines will continue to work which is the most important thing

Correct. 

Think the first minister got a bit too excited with her 'concern' tweet earlier.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I am absolutely not anti-SG/SNP. I’ve voted for them every single time I have voted in my entire life, and will continue to do so, especially with the overall aim of independence.

Unlike you though I am able to see faults in some of the things they do and do not feel they are absolutely blameless. They’ve made plenty of mistakes during this, as all governments have, and I’m happy to point those out. Overall I think they’ve done a reasonable job and am quite happy to continue voting for them.

Maybe you can refer me to the posts where I say the SG is blameless.

21 mins ago   Hopes of normal family gatherings over Christmas have been thrown into doubt by health secretary Matt Hancock, who said he could not rule out “further action” after plunging millions of people in London and the southeast into the toughest tier 3 restrictions.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You have been incredibly dismissive of anyone who has criticised the government recently, a prime example being your response that I quoted in my last post.

Maybe you can refer me to the posts where I said the SG is blameless.  After all that’s what you claimed.

Absolute scenes when Boris sends out an ashen-faced Matt Hancock to face the public and cancel Christmas. 

EfFFfloWkAcfaGN.thumb.jpg.ad9f98307edfd3ee6b0600bb9754c382.jpg
Nah, it's all going to be our fault, personal responsibility is the new catch phrase from the latest brainstorm. It's getting beyond a joke. They have built this up so much that they won't reverse the decision but it's now an attempt at guilt tripping us into doing it for them. They don't have a vertebra of a spine between them. The "just because you can" stance is indefensible. We only "can" because THEY have said it's ok to do so. The SG or Wales really are not much better. You can see they are itching to reverse the UK wide policy but they just can't bring themselves to be the one to break rank. I suspect if someone does blink, the whole charade will collapse in hours which would probably be for the best.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe you can refer me to the posts where I said the SG is blameless.  After all that’s what you claimed.

Fair enough, you have not posted the words “the SG are blameless” so I take that back. 

You have just insinuated it by going on the defensive every time someone makes a small criticism of them (or even just Jason Leitch).

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You have been incredibly dismissive of anyone who has criticised the government recently, a prime example being your response that I quoted in my last post.

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

~Bonnie Tyler, 1985