Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Hancock said in the commons this afternoon that a new, more contagious, strain has been making its way around the South East. 

Also announced for some unknown reason that Sweden were very close to exceeding icu capacity. 

Frankly I wouldn't trust the guy if he told me my username was madwullie, but that's his chat. 

Hancock said in the commons this afternoon that a new, more contagious, strain has been making its way around the South East. 
Also announced for some unknown reason that Sweden were very close to exceeding icu capacity. 
Frankly I wouldn't trust the guy if he told me my username was madwullie, but that's his chat. 
There was something I saw on twitter the other day about a new strain that was in America that was seemingly more contagious and had been largely found to be behind their rapid increases. It would follow that something similar would find its way here and that it would emerge in the south east, just like the first time.

A wall should be built around Greater London.

Also though, is it not more likely than not that a more contagious variance may actually be a good thing, as usually when this happens to a virus it becomes less lethal to ensure its continued existence ?

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Would the vaccine still work on a new strain? I really can't face another year in lockdown while we wait for another vaccine.

Hancock says it won't make a difference. (edit: ie the vaccine will still work) 

Best stockpile bogroll ASAP then

Edited by madwullie
Clarity

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Do they test for the strain as a matter of course if a positive test is recorded? I wouldn't have thought there would be time to do that. 

Bit of a worrying development, this. Hopefully the vaccine is not impacted. 

I think they do. I'm sure I read somewhere that they'd noticed the strain that initially broke out in China wasn't the strain that hit Italy and here, but I'm sort of half remembering that so it might be complete shite.

It's also Matt Hancock saying this so it might not be a development at all. If someone who isn't a cockwomble tells you it'll be a problem them we could maybe class it as "worrying".

Nicola Sturgeon now tweeting her concern.

Honestly get this virus in the fucking bin. Within a week of vaccinations getting rolled out we're being told of a new strain.

Part of me is worried but the sceptic in me wonders if this might be the government's way of ensuring people remain vigilant over Christmas.

15 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Nicola Sturgeon now tweeting her concern.

Honestly get this virus in the fucking bin. Within a week of vaccinations getting rolled out we're being told of a new strain.

Part of me is worried but the sceptic in me wonders if this might be the government's way of ensuring people remain vigilant over Christmas.

That would be good though as it would mean folk would be more vigilant and the spread would continue to slow.

Would also mean that there isn't a mutated strain and all associated problems.

My wife's brother lives in Kent and reckons he has contracted mutant COVID .
Could have been me 
I went on a work residential course just outside Gillingham once and from what I remember anyone down there contracting Covid or and other disease for that matter can quite accurately be described as "mutant". It was the land that time forgot.

Get used to this for the next few years. Just when it looks like a vaccine could start to give us some sort of control over our own lives, hey presto, a new strain will suddenly appear and the powers that be will stay in charge over us.

5 hours ago, Detournement said:

So I can get swole. 

Wales have proven that repeated shut downs are a bad idea. 

As a resident of Wales, i'd like to add that i don't think that you can categorically state that it was the repeated nature of the lockdowns that means they didn't work. The restrictions were pretty arbitrary and dumb (no off sales after 10, but pubs open to 11?). The number of changes and switch between regional and national meant that people often couldn't understand what was going on and where. I could travel to the Rhondda, which was like a bosch painting but not across the border for work despite some nearby counties having under 1 case per 1,000.

Our second "firebreak" national lockdown was anly 2 weeks compared to the neighbours 4.

If you're looking for support for repeated lockdowns i'd agree that you wouldn't look here but you can't say for sure repetition is the issue. 

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Good Afternoon. 7 Days on from my last review it is worth a complete council update.   The latest figures encompass the final 7 days of the Tier 4 etc restrictions.

Overall cases per 100K  98.5 for period 7 days up to 4th December.  Now for 7 days 5th December to 11the December they are 110.0 . That is a increase overall of 11.67% in a period of 7 days,  all of which were in higher restrictions.   

So who is to blame.  Let us take a look.  I will class the councils in the Tiers they were in up to 11th December.

I believe Tier 4 could be back again.

East Ayrshire  Tier 4   127.0 to 163.1    Increase 28.42%%    Dreadful performance for full restrictions.  How can Tier 3 possibly work now.

East Dunbartonshire  Tier 4   104.0 to 97.6    Decrease 6.15%   Hope Tier 3 will not show an increase in cases again.  Marginal.

East Renfrewshire  Tier4  137.1 to 130.8  Decrease 4.95%     Same comments as East Dunb

Glasgow City  Tier 4   150.2 to 148.2   Decrease 1.33%   Very small drop for last week of tier 4.  Again worry if Tier 3 will reverse trend.

North Lanarkshire  Tier 4  147.9 to 137.7   Decrease  6.89%   Again hopefully Tier 3 will not reverse trend.

Renfrewshire  Tier 4  158.0 to 131.2    Decrease  16.96%    Good work 

South Ayrshire  Tier 4   94.1 to 111.0   Increase 17.95%  Poor performance for full restrictions.  How can Tier 3 possibly work now.

South Lanarkshire  Tier 4  123.5 to 134.8  Increase 9.14%   Poor performance for full restrictions.  How can Tier 3 possibly work now.

Stirling Tier 4  80.7 to 92.3   Increase 14.37       Another with an increase while in Tier 4 albeit these numbers are still not too bad.

West Dunbartonshire  Tier 4   76.5 to 81.0  Increase 5.88%  Another with an increase while in Tier 4 albeit these numbers are still not too bad.

West Lothian   Tier 4  108.7 to 114.1   Increase 4.96%   Another with an increase while in Tier 4 albeit these numbers are still not too bad.

Angus Tier 3   56.8 to 66.3   Increase 16.72%    Was not the best week while still in Tier 3.  Close eye over next few days with tier 2 figures.

City Of Edinburgh  Tier 3  68.4 to 100.4  Increase 46.78%     absolutely clear why they had no reason to moan now at no promotion.  

Clackmannanshire  Tier 3    211.5 to 188.2  Decrease  11.01 %    This council should due to population be coming down quicker.  Sauchie still an epicentre.

Dundee City  Tier 3   107.8 to 133.9   Increase 24.21%  Dundee shooting itself in the foot and reversing all previous gains.

Falkirk   Tier 3     66.5 to 99.4  Increase 49.47%    Falkirk's promotion could be a short lived experience.  Dunipace alone at nearly 600 !!!! cases per 100K

Fife Tier 3   103.3 to 135.5 Increase 31.17%   Much like Dundee.  How the feck 2 care homes can have over 100 cases between them is anyones guess.  Absolute disgrace.

Inverclyde  Tier 3   54.0 to 60.4   Increase 11.85%    Should hold it's promotion for now.

Midlothian  Tier 3   86.5 to 147.1   Increase 70.00%   Since their promotion was denied what has gone wrong.  Is it all mutants ?

Perth & Kinross Tier 3    92.8 to 98.1 Increase 5.71%  Stable in Tier 3

North Ayrshire  Tier 3  142.5 to 172.9  Increase 21.33%    Another Ayrshire council currently having a shocker. 

Aberdeen City Tier 2   74.3 to 122.0    Increase 64.19%     Guaranteed relegation tomorrow to tier 3

Aberdeenshire Tier 2    80.4 to 84.2    Increase 4.72 %    Touch and go now it's city neighbour is for the chop

Argyll & Bute  Tier 2    165.4 to 37.3   Decrease 77.38%   Did we kill all the sailors ?

Dumfries & Galloway  Tier 2   22.8 to 23.5  Increase 3.07%    Continue to enjoy your new found freedom in Tier 1

East Lothian   Tier 2  67.2 to 126.1   Increase 87.64%   Got promoted take the piss and now for the chop tomorrow

Scottish Borders  Tier 2  34.6 to 75.3  Increase 117.63%  Oh dear I think they got Tier 1 last week.  Relegation imminent.

Highland  Tier 1    10.6 to 19.5 Increase 83.96%   Still very small numbers so okay

Moray   Tier 1  11.5 to 20.9  Increase 81.73%    Same comments as Highlands

Na h-Eileanan Siar  Tier 1   15.0 to 15.0 No change       get them in the holy grail

Orkney Tier 1   4.5 to 0.0   No  Cases get them in Tier 0

Shetlands Tier 1  4.4 to 0.0  No  Cases get them in Tier 0

Pussies, we're almost at 500. I think only Clackmannanshire's number beats our daily total (i assume includes sat sun mon) 

46 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Dunipace is your problem.594 cases per 100k

Looks to be possibly one of the worst community figures in Scotland at the moment.

Dunipace has 2,444 people according to google. That's, what, 15 cases? Three houses or one care home? The conclusion should be that the rate data  becomes unhelpful at that level of population. There will be streets in cities that have higher populations. 

Any chance of the Christmas relaxations being binned?

The meltdown from my girlfriends gran realising she isn’t getting her family Christmas would be biblical.

Get it done so I can watch the meltdown and spend Christmas Day in my pants drinking tennents.

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

It's probably been rampaging around Shittown-on-Sea up north for months but as soon as London's economy is faced with the consequences of another lockdown we're all supposed to be concerned with their plight.