Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We don't really know the exact reasons for the higher mortality rate in BAME people. We think various things including what you mention contribute to it. I think we should prioritise our health and front line workers obviously, but if the evidence suggests one section of the general public is more likely to die then it might be an idea to give them a vaccine first. 

But there's absolutely no evidence to suggest ethnicity itself plays any part in mortality rates so it's not unreasonable to suggest vaccines should not be prioritised along ethnic lines.

Edited by Gordon EF

If they find that one or more of the vaccines significantly reduces transmission as well as symptoms, I think they'll change the priority list a fair bit after dealing with the most vulnerable and frontline staff, and go for younger people along with pub and restaurant staff etc to free up the economy faster.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Grant Shapps breaking the "all in this together mantra" all for the sake of Drug Smugglers not having to self isolate.

Ah new rules for those with new ppe contracts thats nice of them 

Just now, doulikefish said:

Ah new rules for those with new ppe contracts thats nice of them 

The boys bringing cocaine into the country laugh at a boy getting £21m for being a broker. Pocket money to they boys

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If they find that one or more of the vaccines significantly reduces transmission as well as symptoms, I think they'll change the priority list a fair bit after dealing with the most vulnerable and frontline staff, and go for younger people along with pub and restaurant staff etc to free up the economy faster.

I assumed they were already working on the assumption it would significantly decrease transmission.

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

Grant Shapps breaking the "all in this together mantra" all for the sake of Drug Smugglers not having to self isolate.

Hang on, I thought the new Northern friendly populist Tory party was all about clearing the swamp of the liberal elite?

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I assumed they were already working on the assumption it would significantly decrease transmission.

I think there's a fair bit of doubt. If you have the virus in your nostrils or the back of the throat it's possible the antibodies won't be able to neutralise it before you pass it on.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I think there's a fair bit of doubt. If you have the virus in your nostrils or the back of the throat it's possible the antibodies won't be able to neutralise it before you pass it on.

Aye but surely the antibodies getting to work will reduce viral load and mean you're infectious for a shorter period of time.

59 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

What's really wild is that there are any people who think frontline NHS staff and the over 80s shouldn't be prioritised over the general public.

Yes me...give it to bar staff and football turnstyle operators first 

29 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Aye but surely the antibodies getting to work will reduce viral load and mean you're infectious for a shorter period of time.

Sounds logical, I suppose it's the degree of reduction of transmission that's the thing.