Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It wasn’t directed at you, or anyone in particular really, but just seen a lot of posts decrying restrictions and that they’ll be in place for a long time to come. I can only think they mean things like hand washing and occasional mask wearing as I can’t believe that anyone seriously thinks we won’t be able to travel between LAs for years.

Yeah I agree with this - a lot of people, especially on social media, seem to think restrictions means verging on lockdown levels of curtailed liberty, but much more likely once the vaccinations have set in is much improved hygiene, maybe some mask wearing (especially when sick), less pressure from bosses to come into work ill, people being a bit more respectful of personal space and suchlike. TBH, none of those (masks aside) are at all onerous, and would probably make for a better, healthier society in the long run.

This is just fucking unbelievable.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

The education secretary, Gavin Williamson, has claimed the UK was the first country in the world to clinically approve a coronavirus vaccine because the country has “much better” scientists than France, Belgium or the US.

Williamson said he was not surprised the UK was the first to roll out the immunisation because “we’re a much better country than every single one of them”.

2 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

This is just fucking unbelievable.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/03/gavin-williamson-britains-a-much-better-country-than-all-of-them

I would trust the education secretary of every other country in the world to be much better than that c**t. 

It wasn’t directed at you, or anyone in particular really, but just seen a lot of posts decrying restrictions and that they’ll be in place for a long time to come. I can only think they mean things like hand washing and occasional mask wearing as I can’t believe that anyone seriously thinks we won’t be able to travel between LAs for years.

In what situations will we need to wear masks in years to come?

2 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

Madwullie summarises quite well above. Like Asian countries have been doing for a long time, we could probably do with people wearing them when ill to limit spread where possible (but us being stubborn c***s in good old blighty this won’t happen).

During the next, almost inevitable, epidemic.

SARS, MERS then Covid. Its almost as if there's a trend developing with coronaviruses of animal origin jumping to humans.

On the topic of restrictions, if the vaccine rollout goes to plan, even if the efficacy of the vaccines isn't as high as in trials, there really shouldn't be any restrictions in place come next summer bar those requiring a vaccine to travel.

Of course, that depends on this Westminster being able to coordinate the logistics. I wouldn't put it past Hancock mistakenly sending a batch of BSE infected cows blood found in the back of a fridge to a care home instead of Pfizers finest.

Madwullie summarises quite well above. Like Asian countries have been doing for a long time, we could probably do with people wearing them when ill to limit spread where possible (but us being stubborn c***s in good old blighty this won’t happen).

Why not just stay at home when you are feeling unwell?

13 minutes ago, stuart87 said:

Why not just stay at home when you are feeling unwell?

Agreed that this is what should happen, but unfortunately you are living in the clouds if you think this could work in reality.

There are a few things that would make this difficult, but the main one is that unfortunately the majority of employers (even after living through this pandemic) will not accept people self-diagnosing themselves as ill and allowing them to stay home for any lengthy period. I guarantee we will go back to the previous scenario of people turning up to work ill, partly as some want to look like they are so dedicated they will turn up regardless (morons) but mostly because employers will still have this nonsense suspicious view of anyone claiming to be ill.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m starting to get the impression that some people on here consider washing their hands routinely to be a ‘restriction’ that we currently have in place, rather than basic hygiene that should have always been happening.

I don’t know about others but personally I would never previously have washed my hands after something routine like picking up the post from the doormat. I would think that people feel that is a ‘restriction’ though I get it’s hardly the end of the world.

Agreed that this is what should happen, but unfortunately you are living in the clouds if you think this could work in reality.
There are a few things that would make this difficult, but the main one is that unfortunately the majority of employers (even after living through this pandemic) will not accept people self-diagnosing themselves as ill and allowing them to stay home for any lengthy period. I guarantee we will go back to the previous scenario of people turning up to work ill, partly as some want to look like they are so dedicated they will turn up regardless (morons) but mostly because employers will still have this nonsense suspicious view of anyone claiming to be ill.

I can’t imagine people turning up to work unwell but it being okay because they have a mask on but I suppose time will tell us if that’s what happens.