Coronavirus (COVID-19)

35 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

No, you said we would have travel restrictions in place across the UK until 2022, don’t try to change the goalposts now. Still happy to take the £100 charity bet that we won’t.

It was travel restrictions across Scotland (not UK) until 2022.

The fact that we're now talking about restrictions (any restrictions)  still on the go for all of 2021, would suggest that it's a possibilty travel restrictions will be in place for the duration. I get the feeling that the vaccination process will be a long drawn out, lethargic process, allied together with our government's 'Cautious Approach', I still think travel restrictions could be in place in Scotland come this time next year.

I don't have a pot to piss in far less £100, but I'll happily concede you are right and I am wrong if, or when, the day comes (And I hasten to add, I hope that it is you who is right) 👍

It was travel restrictions across Scotland (not UK) until 2022.
The fact that we're now talking about restrictions (any restrictions)  still on the go for all of 2021, would suggest that it's a possibilty travel restrictions will be in place for the duration. I get the feeling that the vaccination process will be a long drawn out, lethargic process, allied together with our government's 'Cautious Approach', I still think travel restrictions could be in place in Scotland come this time next year.
I don't have a pot to piss in far less £100, but I'll happily concede you are right and I am wrong if, or when, the day comes (And I hasten to add, I hope that it is you who is right) [emoji106]

When it comes to restrictions and how to implement them it’s as tho the Scottish government are constantly refreshing the screen to show how many cases there are each minute and hovering nervously over the big red button
Whereas the uk government are constantly checking how much they’ve spent and hovering nervously on the release button,
I guess neither is the best way

17 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I don't have a pot to piss in far less £100, but I'll happily concede you are right and I am wrong if, or when, the day comes (And I hasten to add, I hope that it is you who is right) 👍

No. Pointing out that you might have been correct in what you predicted actually means you desperately want restrictions to be in place, people to lose their jobs, businesses to fold, football clubs to go out of business and ICUs to be stretched to capacity.

You can't fool me (or the sensible denizens of this fine website), because as we all know, getting one up on other posters on here is more important than life itself. 

Edited by madwullie

2 hours ago, madwullie said:

people got mercilessly abused and down voted for the suggestion,

Don't remember that line in the Martin Niemoller poem:

'First they came for people with batshit mental views on the Covid thread of a Scottish football forum, and I didn't speak up because I did not have batshit mental views.'

'Mercilessly' :lol: What a tragic loser.

Here's a wee tip for you folks: you can always log off the forum for a wee while instead of subjecting us all to your bizarre and paranoid psychodrama.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Don't remember that line in the Martin Niemoller poem:

'First they came for people with batshit mental views on the Covid thread of a Scottish football forum, and I didn't speak up because I did not have batshit mental views.'

'Mercilessly' :lol: What a tragic loser.

Here's a wee tip for you folks: you can always log off the forum for a wee while instead of subjecting us all to your bizarre and paranoid psychodrama.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

You're so hot when you're like this 🍆 💦 

Edit: btw just FYI if you fancy checking back through my countless brilliant posts, you'll see I never once commented on the idea that restrcitions would be in place next year 👍 

But thanks for the wee adrenaline boost

Edited by madwullie

Driving down the rate of transmission of the virus is a relatively straight forward process though with massive economic and societal consequences. Mass restrictions. We saw at the start the impact the restrictions had and we're seeing that again. 

The problem isn't that we are experiencing a second wave of infection but rather evidence of the fact that the virus didn't go away. We did. So when society opens up again, as it did, the inevitable consequence is another rise in the rate of transmission of the virus. 

The roll out of the vaccine(s) will hopefully end that cycle of restrictions, ease of restrictions and back to restrictions again but it will likely need to be a gradual process. 

Just as the virus itself is new so too are the vaccines. Governments can't simply say "right, we have a vaccine open everything up at once". They will need to see what impact of the easing of each restriction is while monitoring whether the effectiveness of the vaccine matches in reality what research suggests. 

There is thankfully an end in sight, no doubt about it and I think we can look forward to 2021, spring onwards, which some degree of optimism but I think it will be 2022 before the world once again looks much like it did pre Covid-19. 

As a couple of local examples I'd be surprised if we weren't seeing crowds back at football matches at similar levels, at least in terms of home fans, as they were before Covid by the start of next season but I think it will be a bit longer before we see sell out gigs at The Hydro. 

The above is all pure conjecture of course. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Interesting Twitter thread about some of the things you see trending, in this case Thalidomide.

This is twitter in a nutshell though right?  You go and see something like #sendthemhome and think 'wow, how is something racist trending', then you look at the timeline and it's thousands of folk saying "I can't believe #sendthemhome is trending!!!!!!"

I wouldn't be reading too much into the comments re return to normality.

They know that people are looking for any excuse to bin the restrictions so their focus is making sure people stick to them in the immediate future.

As has been said there won't be one single declaration of victory, the restrictions will gradually reduce to the point that we'll e back to relative normality almost without realising. An improvement in the general hygiene of the public would be welcome long term though.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't though.

oG0KX.gif.a8fdc124142d2f27645fb6f1aad0742a.gif

Fair enough. 

I'd advise you to be more careful in future then before jumping in feet first, because to ASSUME makes and ASS out of U and ME.

Or in this case just you 🤝 

Edited by madwullie

I wouldn't be reading too much into the comments re return to normality.
They know that people are looking for any excuse to bin the restrictions so their focus is making sure people stick to them in the immediate future.
As has been said there won't be one single declaration of victory, the restrictions will gradually reduce to the point that we'll e back to relative normality almost without realising. An improvement in the general hygiene of the public would be welcome long term though.

What about that often trotted line that too many kids now have shite imune systems due to overzealous parents washing and sanitising everything? Weren’t like that when i wer a lad y’know

21 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Fair enough. 

I'd advise you to be more careful in future then before jumping in feet first, because to ASSUME makes and ASS out of U and ME.

Or in this case just you 🤝 

Oh I think you'll find that you're the one who has made a total arse of himself this morning, given the hysterical sobbing about coloured circles on an internet forum and all.

Nobody actually fucking cares about the minutiae of your weirdo argument tbh.

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

Oh I think you'll find that you're the one who has made a total arse of himself this morning, given the hysterical sobbing about coloured circles on an internet forum and all.

Nobody actually fucking cares about the minutiae of your weirdo argument tbh.

Just don't let it get to you 

2f7 (1).jpg

Edited by madwullie

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m starting to get the impression that some people on here consider washing their hands routinely to be a ‘restriction’ that we currently have in place, rather than basic hygiene that should have always been happening.

Let's be honest, pre-pandemic a good number of people were fucking disgusting.

I'm not sure sure if you were referring to my post but even if not, all I meant was that if it's a legacy of Covid that people realise it actually matters, that would be no bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Let's be honest, pre-pandemic a good number of people were fucking disgusting.

I'm not sure sure if you were referring to my post but even if not, all I meant was that if it's a legacy of Covid that people realise it actually matters, that would be no bad thing.

It wasn’t directed at you, or anyone in particular really, but just seen a lot of posts decrying restrictions and that they’ll be in place for a long time to come. I can only think they mean things like hand washing and occasional mask wearing as I can’t believe that anyone seriously thinks we won’t be able to travel between LAs for years.