Coronavirus (COVID-19)

49 minutes ago, 101 said:

I had a very quick Google:

NHS Scotland: 160,000

Care home staff: 52,000

elderly care home residents: 36,000

SAS: 5,000

Pharmacists: 4,000

So around 250,000 vaccinated plus the people required to administer it even if that's 50,000 which seems high

Other folk who will probably get done asap:

Police: 23,500

Fire: 8,500

So that's probably taking you to 333,333 roughly.

A million by the end of January seems a tough ask but if the mail drop is received on the 3rd/4th/5th then it's doable.

You've got the over 80s, home carers and possibly the shielded to add to the list of the first tranche, which would easily take it over a million. The shielded are already being contacted directly by text about other stuff, so it could be that a start will be made before the general mail drop. 

Edited by welshbairn

If the normal absence rate is 7%, then 9% is 28.5% higher than normal.

Nice use of statistics there to play down the extent of the issue, though.

I never said it wasn't I was merely providing context to the figure. It's a big number but in % terms 91% were at school as normal or put another way an extra 300 out of 12,000 kids were absent compared to normal but not as good click bait that. Pretty good in the midst of a world wide health crisis imo

Were these umpteen Facebook posters as bad at maths as you are?

A rise from 9% to 11% is not a 2% rise.

I accepted that didn't actually mean it was a 2% rise although that's the way it reads. As I said 91% attendance amidst a global pandemic doesn't make such a good click bait headline though.

Good decision to have an extended break over Christmas. Can cut what was looming as a 2 week February break down a bit to adjust the teachers leave entitlement.

According to Freeman "At this point that decision has not been reached"
Which, whilst probably factually accurate, it's clearly going to be what happens. Throughout this pandemic every decision that's been rumoured , but 'has not been reached', has eventually went ahead. 
I wish they'd just tell us straight rather than this charade they seem to like to go through every time.
It's 100% intentional, leak it well before a decision is taken to judge the reaction.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Reading there that Philip Green's retail empire is on the brink with possibly of 13,000 people out of work.

Been on the cards for sometime.

'Arcadia Group, which owns Topshop, Miss Selfridge, Dorothy Perkins, Wallis, Evans, Outfit and Burton, admitted it was “working on contingency options” to secure its future after a “material impact” on sales from the coronavirus pandemic.'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/27/philip-green-arcadia-on-brink-of-collapse-putting-15000-jobs-at-risk-covid

That’s just been on the radio.  Needs £30m to tide them over.

Here’s an idea you greedy fucker, put the money in yourself.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I accepted that didn't actually mean it was a 2% rise although that's the way it reads. As I said 91% attendance amidst a global pandemic doesn't make such a good click bait headline though.

Good decision to have an extended break over Christmas. Can cut what was looming as a 2 week February break down a bit to adjust the teachers leave entitlement.

A 28% rise in Covid related absences in a "safe" environment is noteworthy, however much positive spin you try to put in it.

For a bit of context it's approx 9% of the EAC school population absent which is about 2% above normal. The same newspaper group has publications all over Ayrshire, they ran the exact same click bait headline for South Ayrshire council schools a couple of weeks back and it was pointed out to them by umpteen Facebook posters then that the figures quoted at that time actually represent below average absence despite the headline X000 pupils absent.  

And not all 1,100 will have the virus - many will have negative tests and be self-isolating. Same with some staff being off. 

It's idiotic badly-informed nonsense.

A smart journalist might have done a little more digging on the more damaging impact of staff being over-stretched but also the existing levels of absenteeism.

39 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I never said it wasn't I was merely providing context to the figure. It's a big number but in % terms 91% were at school as normal or put another way an extra 300 out of 12,000 kids were absent compared to normal but not as good click bait that. Pretty good in the midst of a world wide health crisis imo

Well, actually you did when you said it was 2%...

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A lot of these brands are old fashioned and business wise have failed to move with the times, this was going to happen at some point within the next couple of years regardless. Horrendous for the workforce who likely most of them probably earn close to minimum wage and are unlikely to find much else short term.

What would you do here, this lot would have probably sunk anyway just a couple more years down the line. Throwing money at them will just contribute to the debt to the treasury which is going to affect everyone very soon.

Maybe Green can go with a begging bowl to the Bank of England?

Or has that route already been exhausted?

Minimum wage if you're lucky, look at this job ad for New Look.Screenshot_20201127-153955.thumb.jpg.e2282843004c501e687fd0b294be62e0.jpg

5 minutes ago, Snafu said:

A lot of these brands are old fashioned and business wise have failed to move with the times, this was going to happen at some point within the next couple of years regardless. Horrendous for the workforce who likely most of them probably earn close to minimum wage and are unlikely to find much else short term.

What would you do here, this lot would have probably sunk anyway just a couple more years down the line. Throwing money at them will just contribute to the debt to the treasury which is going to affect everyone very soon.

Maybe Green can go with a begging bowl to the Bank of England?

Or has that route already been exhausted?

Every extensional economic downturn impacts upon marginal businesses.  A further two years of trading means a further two years of employees earning wages and pension contributions (though Green has previous on that).

People like Green will always look for others to bail them out rather than coughing up themselves.

Pretty sure his missus is a Monaco based tax dodger, I’m sure £30m wouldn’t break her bank.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Minimum wage if you're lucky, look at this job ad for New Look.Screenshot_20201127-153955.thumb.jpg.e2282843004c501e687fd0b294be62e0.jpg

Apprentice sales assistant? Christ what a fuckin brass neck! not that they are the only ones mind you. a few companies are doing so called " apprenticeships" for jobs you could train a dug tae do and therefor get around minimum wage requirements,  what a state of a country, an embarrassment in a first world country that this is legal

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

SCQF Level 5 required, eh.

Take note kids;  if you're only on target for either a general or foondy Standard Grade equivalent then you can wave goodbye to any aspirations of getting that dream 8k p/a job at New Look.