Coronavirus (COVID-19)

48 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

For a bit of context it's approx 9% of the EAC school population absent which is about 2% above normal. The same newspaper group has publications all over Ayrshire, they ran the exact same click bait headline for South Ayrshire council schools a couple of weeks back and it was pointed out to them by umpteen Facebook posters then that the figures quoted at that time actually represent below average absence despite the headline X000 pupils absent.

If the normal absence rate is 7%, then 9% is 28.5% higher than normal.

Nice use of statistics there to play down the extent of the issue, though.

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Jeane Freeman says that she would encourage everyone who is offered the vaccine to take it.

She says as soon as the vaccines are available they are ready to deliver them and an information drop will be sent to households in January.

I assume (but could well be wrong) there wouldn't be any vaccines conducted until all all households have received their 'information drop'. If the 'information drop', isn't until January, then I think a million vaccintaions by the end of Jan is already a goner. In my mind it was always fanciful anyway

Depends between the NHS staff, care home residents and those administering the vaccine that must be getting on for a million

10 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Jeane Freeman says that she would encourage everyone who is offered the vaccine to take it.

She says as soon as the vaccines are available they are ready to deliver them and an information drop will be sent to households in January.

I assume (but could well be wrong) there wouldn't be any vaccines conducted until all all households have received their 'information drop'. If the 'information drop', isn't until January, then I think a million vaccintaions by the end of Jan is already a goner. In my mind it was always fanciful anyway

Why would everyone need to receive the information before the most vulnerable can start to be vaccinated?

I wouldn't take that from that tbh.

Just now, 101 said:

Depends between the NHS staff, care home residents and those administering the vaccine that must be getting on for a million

Really? I'm not saying wrong, indeed I hope you're right. But you reckon NHS staff + care home + those administering the vaccine equals a million?

A million would have us just shy of a quarter of the way I think.

Like I say, I hope you're right

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Why would everyone need to receive the information before the most vulnerable can start to be vaccinated?

I wouldn't take that from that tbh.

Just in my head, I'd have thought that an 'information drop' would be task #1. The vaccination process would start thereafter (seems a bit silly getting a leaflet through door about a vaccine if you've already had it).

Again, I could well be wrong (and hope I am)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

For a bit of context it's approx 9% of the EAC school population absent which is about 2% above normal. The same newspaper group has publications all over Ayrshire, they ran the exact same click bait headline for South Ayrshire council schools a couple of weeks back and it was pointed out to them by umpteen Facebook posters then that the figures quoted at that time actually represent below average absence despite the headline X000 pupils absent.

Were these umpteen Facebook posters as bad at maths as you are?

A rise from 9% to 11% is not a 2% rise.

7 minutes ago, Steven W said:

Really? I'm not saying wrong, indeed I hope you're right. But you reckon NHS staff + care home + those administering the vaccine equals a million?

A million would have us just shy of a quarter of the way I think.

Like I say, I hope you're right

I had a very quick Google:

NHS Scotland: 160,000

Care home staff: 52,000

elderly care home residents: 36,000

SAS: 5,000

Pharmacists: 4,000

So around 250,000 vaccinated plus the people required to administer it even if that's 50,000 which seems high

Other folk who will probably get done asap:

Police: 23,500

Fire: 8,500

So that's probably taking you to 333,333 roughly.

A million by the end of January seems a tough ask but if the mail drop is received on the 3rd/4th/5th then it's doable.

I had a very quick Google:
NHS Scotland: 160,000
Care home staff: 52,000
elderly care home residents: 36,000
SAS: 5,000
Pharmacists: 4,000
So around 250,000 vaccinated plus the people required to administer it even if that's 50,000 which seems high
Other folk who will probably get done asap:
Police: 23,500
Fire: 8,500
So that's probably taking you to 333,333 roughly.
A million by the end of January seems a tough ask but if the mail drop is received on the 3rd/4th/5th then it's doable.

Factor in the over 65’s and those deemed vulnerable, which i imagine will be those on the flu jab register it could very easily topple 1million.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Factor in the over 65’s and those deemed vulnerable, which i imagine will be those on the flu jab register it could very easily topple 1million.

A quick Google has NRS saying there's 1.3M over 65s in Scotland

Edited by alta-pete

Just now, Robin.Hood said:

December 18th to January 11th kids potentially away to be off. Thats a bit shit. 😞

According to Freeman "At this point that decision has not been reached"

Which, whilst probably factually accurate, it's clearly going to be what happens. Throughout this pandemic every decision that's been rumoured , but 'has not been reached', has eventually went ahead. 

I wish they'd just tell us straight rather than this charade they seem to like to go through every time.

According to Freeman "At this point that decision has not been reached"
Which, whilst probably factually accurate, it's clearly going to be what happens. Throughout this pandemic every decision that's been rumoured , but 'has not been reached', has eventually went ahead. 
I wish they'd just tell us straight rather than this charade they seem to like to go through every time.

Checking how the public reacts just now I would say.

If you ask me it’s going ahead.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Checking how the public reacts just now I would say.

If you ask me it’s going ahead.

I agree with you on both points. I just think they should have the courage of their convictions. If they think its a good idea, then they should press on and do it (and all the other things they put out in the media to test the water before finally commiting)