Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I was reading that over 65s in care homes in England will not be allowed to visit relatives homes this Christmas. Is this the same in Scotland?

Hopefully it is as thousands of older and vulnerable people visiting younger relatives is a recipe for disaster for obvious reasons.

I was reading that over 65s in care homes in England will not be allowed to visit relatives homes this Christmas. Is this the same in Scotland?
Hopefully it is as thousands of older and vulnerable people visiting younger relatives is a recipe for disaster for obvious reasons.
You have to remember that some of these people don't have time on their side, and quality of life absolutely needs to come into the decisions.

If my parents had a terminal illness then I'd be willing to break rules in order to visit them.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You have to remember that some of these people don't have time on their side, and quality of life absolutely needs to come into the decisions.

If my parents had a terminal illness then I'd be willing to break rules in order to visit them.

It depends on the circumstances.

Not everyone in care homes has a terminal illness but there will be plenty of people out there who will decide take their relatives out at Christmas for a bit of turkey in a crowded house. 

If they return to the home infected then that puts other residents and care staff at risk.

It depends on the circumstances.
Not everyone in care homes has a terminal illness but there will be plenty of people out there who will decide take their relatives out at Christmas for a bit of turkey in a crowded house. 
If they return to the home infected then that puts other residents and care staff at risk.
I'm just making the point that folk are too quick to ignore the 'quality of life' factor.

31 minutes ago, beardy said:

In fairness Neil Ferguson's track record on predictions is absolutely horrific.

Absolutely. Felt it was an odd thing for the guy who's model was heavily influential in starting the whole shit show to say.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Absolutely. Felt it was an odd thing for the guy who's model was heavily influential in starting the whole shit show to say.

It's not just COVID, his previous predictions on other pandemics are fvcking rotten.

The statement feels political, someone  trying to push a narrative.  

So the education and future of the weans which was so paramount and worth closing down everything in society for, can now be cast aside completely to "save Christmas"?

This would potentially be a good opportunity to trial blended learning for a week or two but nah, cba 

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

As Szamo has said, whilst it’s absolutely horrible for anyone involved in this type of situation, it would be incredibly selfish to do something like the above which could potentially kill a large number of the care home residents who are not terminal and would really like to keep on living.

18 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

So the education and future of the weans which was so paramount and worth closing down everything in society for, can now be cast aside completely to "save Christmas"?

This would potentially be a good opportunity to trial blended learning for a week or two but nah, cba 

From the conversations I've had, this is what we would be looking at in January if schools were to stay off for longer, rather than it being an extra holiday.  That said, I suspect engagement will be really poor (especially that day and  a half for those of use scheduled to be in then) either side of the Christmas break.  

11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Gosh those sandbanks are just gone now. Had no idea they were so extensive.

Not to mention the amount of land reclamation at the Western Harbour area for all the flats that are down there now.

12 hours ago, super_carson said:

Nothing confirmed, but there is some discussion about potentially finishing on the Friday rather than the following Tuesday. Return to school in Jan will also be looked at.

Renfrewshire moved to finished term on 18th dec a fair while back

Mind there were all those rumours before Eat Out to Help Out that Sunak was going to give everyone in Britain 500 quid to help stimulate the economy. Will be class looking back at the onset of the second wave that we could’ve saved thousands of lives by giving everyone a Nintendo Switch and Breath of the Wild instead of offering a tenner off Nandos if you queued for three hours on a Wednesday afternoon.