Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Is there any research on literacy levels among Scottish adults?  We once had a visitor and my wee boy carried a book to them for it to be read and they could barely read it, they were very, very lacking in confidence reading a book out loud.  This is someone with a responsible job and a degree.  I have a friend who had someone completely illiterate in their antenatal group, literally unable to read at all.

I have worked on software that loads information from written Benefit applications into imaging systems and the number of allowances that needed to be made for those with writing problems was quite sobering. An X for a signature was permissible for those not even able to sign / write their name.

In low ability secondary English classes you would be shocked at the level of literacy most kids have. 

Genuinely not unusual to come across 14, 15, 16 year olds still spelling words with "ah, bi, ki, di, eh, ff etc, and I've taught s1 and s2s who were unable to spell their own names. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Is there any research on literacy levels among Scottish adults? 

I could share the data I've gleaned through fourteen years spent moderating a football forum, but it would make for thoroughly depressing reading. 

Admittedly this involved a lot of people from Banff, Buckie and Brora, the vast majority of whom seemed to have adopted English as a second language. 

33 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The literacy rate is 73%?

It absolutely is not 73%  by the standard definition of literacy and hasn't been anywhere near that for a long time.

The standard definition sets an extremely low bar and adult literacy in Scotland is likely to be 99% by that metric as it is in almost every developed country. If someone wants to set a higher standard then presumably you can bring the number down to whatever you like.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't mean this in a critical way, but we were near the top of the list in the Spring, which could also have a major impact.

Data like this strengthens the view that the virus will run it's course regardless of what restrictions are in place, and that the tighter those restrictions are, the longer it will take do so.

And the less pressure will be put on healthcare resources during that time. But hey, as long as you're not personally in an ICU, that's a price worth paying, eh?

7 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

And the less pressure will be put on healthcare resources during that time. But hey, as long as you're not personally in an ICU, that's a price worth paying, eh?

If you can point me to where I said that wasn't the case that would be lovely.

13 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It absolutely is not 73%  by the standard definition of literacy and hasn't been anywhere near that for a long time.

The standard definition sets an extremely low bar and adult literacy in Scotland is likely to be 99% by that metric as it is in almost every developed country. If someone wants to set a higher standard then presumably you can bring the number down to whatever you like.

Aye I was gonna say that's a ludicrous figure.

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-10963769

This was the report in question btw, so you can see how they arrived at said figure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-10963769
This was the report in question btw, so you can see how they arrived at said figure.

3.6 described as being very poor, that is more like it. 1 in 4 adults being illiterate is not true. There’s a difference between being bad at something and not being able to do it at all

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

If you can point me to where I said that wasn't the case that would be lovely.

I'm simply pointing out that locking down or not has consequences. The kind of thing anyone with a comprehension level equivalent to a bright nine-year-old would comprehend.

No lockdown - end result, end of pandemic through either HI or mutation or vaccine. High mortality and serious illness rate due to case numbers overwhelming available healthcare resources.

Complete lockdown - end result, end of pandemic IF mass, effective vaccination takes place before restrictions are lifted. Resurgence of virus if no effective* control measure put in place before relaxation of restriction. Far lower mortality rate than without lockdown, far higher economic damage.

The vast majority of the world's response falls somewhere between the two extremes. I'd tend to lean more towards the second example, as I value my elderly relatives and friends more than I do the ability to go for a pint.

* i.e. NOT Track and fucking Trace, which is a waste of public money the likes of which I've never seen.

11 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

3.6 described as being very poor, that is more like it. 1 in 4 adults being illiterate is not true. There’s a difference between being bad at something and not being able to do it at all

Is that why Ollie McBurnie gets caps? 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Wait, what - you think that there is a useful scientific message behind the statement that a virus 'likes shinier surfaces better than rough ones'? Shinier?

Fucking hell we are truly through the looking glass now.

IMG_1566034068.646287.jpg.e6be8951c88d9744a4841c805cf55019.jpg

Bad Mr Virus will give you a stuffy nosey and you won't be able to smell the cookies you leave for Santa. He likes shiny things so don't touch shiny things with your wee fingers, if you forget and do touch shiny things, tell mummy or daddy to wash your hands.

Do you understand now?