Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

They're pretending taking a few days off from a global pandemic for Santa Clause is ok because a significant portion of the population have collectively stamped their feet about needing their Christmas. The public appears to be getting the level of respect it deserves.

This. The general public are largely fucking morons. 

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
9 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:
That's just condescending waffle. The virus "doesn't like wrapping paper" - they seem to forget they are talking to adults. This cuddly dumbing down act is annoying.

A lot of adults sadly need things explained in simple terms.

So have Rab McGlinchey in interpreting for the neds.

Noticed a few horse racing tracks' social media streams' in England have put up that, should they be placed in tiers that allow the return of spectators, then how to buy tickets will be on their website today.
Meanwhile we've got Thurso FC still being told to play behind closed doors, 3 weeks after being allowed to have spectators return......
No crowds for 9 months, back into lockdown and the highest death toll since May just yesterday. Add to that the Christmas super spread announcement yet Bozo and co think 1 day after lockdown ends, sports crowds and more unbelievably indoor crowds are suddenly a good idea. That epitomises the nonsensical response to this whole episode. We 100% should not be basing any measures here on their example.

Why are so many people (and employers) so obsessed and determined to still have some kind of 'Christmassy' feel/night out to their lives this December? 

We're in a pandemic, can you not accept that for one of 70-80 you'll experience in your life, the 2020 one might not happen?  It's really not the end of the world if you don't have a 'normal' Christmas this year.  If at all.

This 'we must save/have Christmas at any cost' is fucking ridiculous and it's really getting on my 8 incher.

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

That’s nonsense and you know it.

You are a contrarian who would criticise whatever happened.

Unfortunately, not everyone in the country is as clearly intelligent as you think you are, so different messages need to be given to get through to different people. There is nothing wrong with this message - doesn’t resonate with me as we’ve made the decision that were not doing the traditional Christmas. But it will hit the mark with some.

If that message, which will have taken 20 seconds to deliver, stops one person worrying about something they shouldn’t be worried about, or encourages one person to wash their hands killing the virus before it affects them, it was worth it.

The message itself isn't the issue. It's the delivery of it.

It's perfectly possible to communicate things without talking to everyone like children.

In any case, it's been known for ages it doesn't live long on things like postal items, hence why the utterly ridiculous suggestion that you shouldn't open something bought online until 72 hours after delivery was binned around 6 months ago.

The message itself isn't the issue. It's the delivery of it.
It's perfectly possible to communicate things without talking to everyone like children.
In any case, it's been known for ages it doesn't live long on things like postal items, hence why the utterly ridiculous suggestion that you shouldn't open something bought online until 72 hours after delivery was binned around 6 months ago.

Did you hear NS talking to you like that in her briefing? No, because she is speaking to a certain demographic. Leitch is talking to another one.

Surely you see that? Or do you think the only message being given is this one?

Lastly - lots of things have been “known for ages” that people need reminded about. I mean, I knew months ago that this was “over as a public health crisis” because someone kept telling us that.

I’m struggling to recall who that public health sage was. Can’t have been a dentist, as it made so much sense and reflected reality.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Why are so many people (and employers) so obsessed and determined to still have some kind of 'Christmassy' feel/night out to their lives this December? 

We're in a pandemic, can you not accept that for one of 70-80 you'll experience in your life, the 2020 one might not happen?  It's really not the end of the world if you don't have a 'normal' Christmas this year.  If at all.

This 'we must save/have Christmas at any cost' is fucking ridiculous and it's really getting on my 8 incher.

You would have been in the trenches eating worms while the rest of the lads were out playing fitba with Jerry. Sad.

Just now, Detournement said:

You would have been in the trenches eating worms while the rest of the lads were out playing fitba with Jerry. Sad.

I was too busy hiding after Franz Ferdinand's assassination.

28 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, Steven W said:
Noticed a few horse racing tracks' social media streams' in England have put up that, should they be placed in tiers that allow the return of spectators, then how to buy tickets will be on their website today.
Meanwhile we've got Thurso FC still being told to play behind closed doors, 3 weeks after being allowed to have spectators return......

No crowds for 9 months, back into lockdown and the highest death toll since May just yesterday. Add to that the Christmas super spread announcement yet Bozo and co think 1 day after lockdown ends, sports crowds and more unbelievably indoor crowds are suddenly a good idea. That epitomises the nonsensical response to this whole episode. We 100% should not be basing any measures here on their example.

I agree 100% with you that because  England does something doesn't mean we should.

But there's surely a middle ground somewhere

7 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Did you hear NS talking to you like that in her briefing? No, because she is speaking to a certain demographic. Leitch is talking to another one.

Surely you see that? Or do you think the only message being given is this one?

Lastly - lots of things have been “known for ages” that people need reminded about. I mean, I knew months ago that this was “over as a public health crisis” because someone kept telling us that.

I’m struggling to recall who that public health sage was. Can’t have been a dentist, as it made so much sense and reflected reality.

What demographic do you think Leitch thinks he is talking to, though? I doubt many children are tuning in.

As for a health crisis? I don't see a crisis

20201126_091018.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I completely understand it. Obviously 2020 has been a shitter for everyone so a lot of people, perhaps more than ever, are just clinging for something to look forward to and Christmas is, for some, exactly that. Doesn't mean it's right of course especially in the current predicament with a rampant virus that, as we've seen, can quickly spiral out of control. January is going to be even more brutal than usual...

Edited by RiG

What demographic do you think Leitch thinks he is talking to, though? I doubt many children are tuning in.

People who perhaps aren’t as clever as you think you are?

I believe he also plays well into the older demographic who find his explanations clear and deal with the understandable, if sometimes misplaced fears they have.

Perhaps we should just ignore them because they aren’t as “clever” as you?

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Utterly bizarre, go into a supermarket and do some shopping picking up items that have probably been touched by someone infected, except no one ever mentions that risk because the virus doesn't infect people in supermarkets as it doesn't in schools.

I have enough to do without having to wash/sanitise  all my groceries before storing them away.

The war on intelligence continues.

No-one said you should do that. I was just relating the discussions that have gone on around this issue, and the measures my kids' school have taken re Christmas cards, presents and letters home to illustrate that people do need / want this stuff explained in simple terms. In here we seem to be far far better informed than the general public, and there is a strong argument for explaining this stuff to cater for the lowest denominator. We shrug it off with 'You don't say' ; others will take it on board as useful info. 

Re groceries: I did read that people do do this with groceries in the US. Seems overkill to me 🤷‍♂️, because its pretty well established by anyone who read a lot that the main way the virus spreads is via aerosol, and surfaces are not as much of a vector as we thought early on. But unless you've kept up with the research, there's no reason at all why you wouldn't consider surfaces still to be one of the main dangers. 

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

People who perhaps aren’t as clever as you think you are?

I believe he also plays well into the older demographic who find his explanations clear and deal with the understandable, if sometimes misplaced fears they have.

Perhaps we should just ignore them because they aren’t as “clever” as you?

Or he could just not talk to people like they are children. It's really not hard.

He's talking about a virus not being able to survive on wrapping paper, not about why lowering the control rods caused the reactor at Chernobyl to explode.

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As for a health crisis? I don't see a crisis

20201126_091018.jpg

The demographic that for eg suggested to my kids' pals' parents that over Xmas they can meet up with different families on 5 days, do they should pick which day they all get together for an indoor dinner. Because they thought they could meet 5 different families over the course of five days, as long as it wasn't all together at once. 

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

It makes sense put that way, though I would think the average 9 year old would be a bit more advanced  than that.

What is the average age of listening and at what age does common sense go into decline?

Not sure about listening but assumed they would be linked as it's comprehension, could be wrong though.

Common sense declines the more a person spends time on Facebook.

Just now, madwullie said:

The demographic that for eg suggested to my kids' pals' parents that over Xmas they can meet up with different families on 5 days, do they should pick which day they all get together for an indoor dinner. Because they thought they could meet 5 different families over the course of five days, as long as it wasn't all together at once. 

The demographic that think that will be the demographic that get their news from  their Twitter feed, and just read the headlines.