Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I'd imagine their main role would be distribution rather than doing the jags.
Even if they were to do the jags... Where else is there a large number of bodies available to the govt, being paid by the govt who would be willing to train to do vaccines at a moments notice.

They are a unique asset and you would expect that they will play a role in this.

Mr Carbon Rod is right. The Army are well placed to be involved in this.

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

A) the army has been proven to be exceptional in terms of logistics and a general sense of ‘lets get it done’. They’ll not fanny about. 
B) Anyone can be trained to give a vaccine. It is not difficult so long as there is a clinical lead present. 

There are approx 78,000 people total in the regular Army.  The NHS has over twice this number just in Scotland and 15 times that it total.  As for logistics, I ask again which facilities does the Army have to carry out mass immunisation programs?  There needs to be community facilities that people can attend and if you think that the Army has the ability to conjur these up out of thin air then you are mistaken.

There are approx 78,000 people total in the regular Army.  The NHS has over twice this number just in Scotland and 15 times that it total.  As for logistics, I ask again which facilities does the Army have to carry out mass immunisation programs?  There needs to be community facilities that people can attend and if you think that the Army has the ability to conjur these up out of thin air then you are mistaken.
They are knocking out flu jabs all over the place. Town halls, chemists etc etc. You dont think theres scope to find buildings, or knock up tents in car parks etc?

1 minute ago, strichener said:

You do get that most immunisation actually takes place out with nhs property? In town halls and sports centres etc. All easily dealt with. Have army and other forces operate vaccination centres in all large towns and cities. Mobilise reserve forces too. 
Armed forces staff are flexible and deployable quickly, no unions to deal with, run the centres 24/7 if need be, just get it fucking done. 
Wee bit too much talky talky, need a lot more jaggy jaggy. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:
4 minutes ago, strichener said:

They are knocking out flu jabs all over the place. Town halls, chemists etc etc. You dont think theres scope to find buildings, or knock up tents in car parks etc?

The army are doing this are they?  What you have just stated shows that there is little need for the army to get involved in this program.  The UK manage to distribute 14 million flu vaccinations without the army, that is more vaccinations than are available to the government for covid.

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

I take your general point but its likely there will be military medics involved.

Community facilities arent thin air either we have been planning since summer and the local authority  community facilities are ready to go, we are testing them just now by doing flu jabs there.

It will however all have to be coordinated by NHS immunisation teams.

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

The army are doing this are they?  What you have just stated shows that there is little need for the army to get involved in this program.  The UK manage to distribute 14 million flu vaccinations without the army, that is more vaccinations than are available to the government for covid.

I reckon the army will be too busy trying to cope with Brexit chaos anyway.

I was speaking to my cousin earlier and he’s a bit confused about the Christmas rules. Could his gf go and visit her parents house with her sister and the kids, and then go to my cousins parents house where his sister and her partner will be? I haven’t looked that much into the Christmas thing so I couldn’t advise him 

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I take your general point but its likely there will be military medics involved.

Community facilities arent thin air either we have been planning since summer and the local authority  community facilities are ready to go, we are testing them just now by doing flu jabs there.

It will however all have to be coordinated by NHS immunisation teams.

The army have less than 2000 combat medical technicians, it won't even start to make an impact.

I was speaking to my cousin earlier and he’s a bit confused about the Christmas rules. Could his gf go and visit her parents house with her sister and the kids, and then go to my cousins parents house where his sister and her partner will be? I haven’t looked that much into the Christmas thing so I couldn’t advise him 
No. Up to 3 households can meet and it has to be the same 3 households, no swapsies.

14 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:
37 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

No. Up to 3 households can meet and it has to be the same 3 households, no swapsies.

Could be Arbroath? 

Edited by Angusfifer