Coronavirus (COVID-19)

My parents are in fife, we've already agreed that even if that we are allowed to travel (from East lothian) for any reason, we aren't going to bother. Especially as both of them have had health issues in the past, it's not really worth the risk or hassle. 

33 minutes ago, Steven W said:

The non-league clubs' #letfansin camps has been ignored by all.

Good. It is absolutely bewildering that about seventeen levels of the Scottish game are currently flashing a free pass on the grounds that it they represent 'elite professional sport' when the communities that they claim to be an integral part of (when the government grant money is getting thrown around) are in lockdown and can hardly meet somebody in the street never mind watch the games. Instead of lobbying government to relax restrictions for their idiotic schedule they should be suspending their campaign until the pandemic is under a fair bit of control and the fans can come back in - and if that means playing all through next summer then that's fine. 

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Do all the vaccines treat the virus the same way?  In other words if you got three separate jags would they be collectively more effective than any single one?

I don't think this would be possible, you'd get what you were given based on the supply chain and I'd doubt if you'd ever know what vaccine it was or where it had come from.

I go to my grandads every Saturday and sit indoors with him and have a cup of tea despite him being in a bubble with my mum.
If you want to accuse me of me being too kindhearted then go ahead I can take it.
He's also free and easy with codeine.
ETA we have discussed the risks and he says he would rather take his chances than sit in alone. I guess that's a flippant thing to say when your not gasping for breath on a ventilator with no family around but it's up to him.

If you’ve discussed it properly then I’m not sure it is flippant. It’s up to him and you.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

Good. It is absolutely bewildering that about seventeen levels of the Scottish game are currently flashing a free pass on the grounds that it they represent 'elite professional sport' when the communities that they claim to be an integral part of (when the government grant money is getting thrown around) are in lockdown and can hardly meet somebody in the street never mind watch the games. Instead of lobbying government to relax restrictions for their idiotic schedule they should be suspending their campaign until the pandemic is under a fair bit of control and the fans can come back in - and if that means playing all through next summer then that's fine. 

It's not too far in to the season, given the teams that pulled out. I'd abandon the non league season and start an abridged version early March. Play until August. Start the new season in September 2021.

50 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Who’s gonnae fess up to have breached the rules? Got to be some boys on here that have thrown caution to the wind at some point.

I had to sneak across the berlin wall to get some paint from B&Q in Cumbernauld as the Falkirk store didn't have what I needed, next week I've got 2 clock & collects from screwfix , one in Linlithgow the other in Bathgate, again , Falkirk store out of stock.  come to think of it it does sound like the cold war a bit?  if anyone else needs some goods from the west let me know , take a small cut for myself obviously since i'm dodging the stasi

Who’s gonnae fess up to have breached the rules? Got to be some boys on here that have thrown caution to the wind at some point.
I have, on a few occasions at least. Examples:

I've changed my "bubble" a few times to allow for meeting folk in their homes. Whether that was specifically against the law at the time I don't know.

My brother turned 30 in the summer and we had about a dozen or so people outside for drinks to celebrate.

Went round to a mates for some drinks a few weeks ago, four of us from four households.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't think this would be possible, you'd get what you were given based on the supply chain and I'd doubt if you'd ever know what vaccine it was or where it had come from.

It was more a technical question rather than expecting to get three vaccines.  Are the three collectively more effective than the single most effective one?  If so there’s a case for, say, frontline workers getting more than one.

20 minutes ago, philpy said:

My parents are in fife, we've already agreed that even if that we are allowed to travel (from East lothian) for any reason, we aren't going to bother. Especially as both of them have had health issues in the past, it's not really worth the risk or hassle. 

Best thing about December is that it's dark enough to use the fog lights on the car for Morse Code across the Firth of Forth from 16:30 onwards.

I suppose you could always use the phone which is quicker and a bit more private, but that's not nearly as fun. 

16 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It was more a technical question rather than expecting to get three vaccines.  Are the three collectively more effective than the single most effective one?  If so there’s a case for, say, frontline workers getting more than one.

I am not an expert in this field but the idea is basically to get your immune system to recognise the enemy.  For example, IIRC the vaccine for small pox was a dose of cow pox, which is similar but not harmful to humans.  Your immune system spots it, destroys it and then when the real thing comes along, it gets destroyed as well.

Watching the news  it looks like all the vaccines are using the same approach for enemy recognition  i.e. the same characteristic of the virus.

This would suggest that taking all the different vaccines would not boost your immunity but I could be wrong.

Edited by Fullerene

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don't think anyone knows these answers yet as the development seems to have been rushed through, to say the least.

I've read various reports on how long the immunity lasts and whether or not the immunity lessens over a set time period, I suppose it will just need to be a suck it and see approach given the rush to get them rolled out to the public domain.

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

We will absolutely get stories about people getting the vaccine and then dying of Covid. What the idiots writing these stories won't include is that no vaccine is being presented as 100% effective and the number of people who get covid and die will most likely be an absolutely tiny minority of people who get the vaccine and be within the estimates based on the vaccine results.

I was more meaning in the sense that the COViD vaccine is unlikely to give lifetime protection against COVID. 

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They definitely don't all act in the same way so it seems logical there probably would be some kind of cumulative effect with particular combinations of vaccines although it might be the case that getting vaccine A gives you 95% effective immunity and taking vaccine B bumps you up to 95.5% and so really isn't worth it.

22 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I am not an expert in this field but the idea is basically to get your immune system to recognise the enemy.  For example, IIRC the vaccine for small pox was a dose of cow pox, which is similar but not harmful to humans.  Your immune system spots it, destroys it and then when the real thing comes along, it gets destroyed as well.

Watching the news  it looks like all the vaccines are using the same approach for enemy recognition  i.e. the same characteristic of the virus.

This would suggest that taking all the different vaccines would not boost your immunity but I could be wrong.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/about-vaccines/how-they-work.html

Not an expert either by any means but it does seem like some vaccines will have slightly different approaches that trigger different parts of the immune system.

If we actually vaccinate the majority of the population (and rich countries commit to helping the poorer countries do so as well) then there shouldn't be future Covid outbreaks to fall victim to anyway. This is the real 'zero Covid' strategy as opposed to the shut everything indefinitely nonsense that Sridhar was shrieking for back in June.

Vaccines should be given on demand as soon as limited priority groups are sorted first and taking one should be mandatory for international travel at the very least. 

One thing that will get the middle-class anti-vaxxers changing their minds is if countries make it mandatory to have the vaccine before they go off on their skiing holiday.