Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Paco said:

They’re going to give pretty much a full month’s notice here of the ‘allowed’ plans. In a fast-moving pandemic, there’s not much else that can be done, surely?

Whether you agree with a relaxation or not, this must be the first example of planning and foresight yet. My previous favourites were Gavin Williamson watching the Scottish exam fiasco unfold and doing exactly the same thing four weeks later, and Dido Harding claiming ‘nobody could have foreseen’ schools returning driving a demand for more testing in England, despite Scottish demand going up 300% a month beforehand.

So a rare occasion for me, and they’re certainly coming from a low bar, but I’ll defend the leaders at least on the aspect of coming up with a timely plan.

Well, for a start they could tell the population who haven't worked out after eight fucking months that this pandemic is not playing by any rules and refuses to fit into a convenient box that we DON'T FUCKING KNOW whether relaxing restrictions will be a welcome teaser of the good, post-vaccine times to come, or a harbinger of the NHS being so overwhelmed - again - that there won't be sufficient fit staff to administer the vaccine. A month out, experience with this virus shows "the science" has been nothing but guesswork. Guesswork with pretty slides and graphs, to be fair, but guesswork all the same.  Still, as long as the hoi-polloi can trawl round B&M and Home Bargains (essential shops in England, apparently)  for a load of Chinese platic tat, what's a few (thousand) more dead pensioners?

This Christmas could well be a Foinavon moment. We can just about see the finishing line of this shite, and are apparently willing to throw all progress away for the sake of eating and drinking ourselves into a stupor. Well done us.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Watching the news, I feel that I must be a monster as the only person to not see my own family at Christmas when I spend it at the (unofficial) in-laws where I give my mum a phone call mid-afternoon.  

As someone who might see a member of my family on Christmas Day once every four or five years (and my dad maybe a few days every three or so years in general as he lives Down Under), this whole stooshie about a one-off Covid Christmas simply has me thinking "take a step back and wise the f*** up".   Although I appreciate that people want some form of normality, this selfish sense of entitlement about a marketing-driven (so-called sky-fairy-related) event, just as the light at the end of the tunnel (ie multiple vaccines) has appeared, is slowly bringing out the homocidal maniac in me.

eta: furthermore, this will be my other half's first Christmas since her dad passed away and hearing people whinge about not being able to see alive people for a single day of the year is understandably even more annoying.   Must be even worse for those who have actually lost family to Covid.

I can only apologise for the limitation of one greenie. If that fat Etonian cúnt would only take the bolded bit as his new slogan..

2 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Well, for a start they could tell the population who haven't worked out after eight fucking months that this pandemic is not playing by any rules and refuses to fit into a convenient box that we DON'T FUCKING KNOW whether relaxing restrictions will be a welcome teaser of the good, post-vaccine times to come, or a harbinger of the NHS being so overwhelmed - again - that there won't be sufficient fit staff to administer the vaccine. A month out, experience with this virus shows "the science" has been nothing but guesswork. Guesswork with pretty slides and graphs, to be fair, but guesswork all the same.  Still, as long as the hoi-polloi can trawl round B&M and Home Bargains (essential shops in England, apparently)  for a load of Chinese platic tat, what's a few (thousand) more dead pensioners?

This Christmas could well be a Foinavon moment. We can just about see the finishing line of this shite, and are apparently willing to throw all progress away for the sake of eating and drinking ourselves into a stupor. Well done us.

I'm sure there will be a nice wee applause for the NHS on Christmas day though and the Queen will tell us how brave we've all been.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

This decision to open up for Christmas is up there with the most insane things that's happened this year. It's going to lead to thousands more deaths and an extended lockdown in January for nothing more than a glorified Sunday dinner.

The main crux is that governments believe Saving Christmas 🎅 is a vote winner and will please Daily Mail readers.

After being sure not to upset the PTA, this is the most important consideration during a global pandemic.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

England have announced plans to allow crowds of up to 4000 to attend outdoor events in their lowest tier once their lockdown comes to an end.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55010011

Just like Scotland a stupid arbitrary number. It should be like 50 people per turnstile. Or 33% of your capacity.

4000 at the London Stadium is mad when you can have a full house at Clapton FC

I was on here a few weeks ago moaning about Jason Leitch and his "don't expect a normal Christmas message". As with a lot of what he says, it was the tone of his message rather than the message itself which pissed me off.

The fact that we're now at a point where the government are actively looking to lift restrictions for Christmas is fucking wild. The attitude seems to be that people will break the rules anyway so they might as well lift them which is, frankly, ridiculous.

As has been said, lifting these restrictions for a few days will likely lead to a spike and further lockdowns (at least on a local level if not national). Would it have been so difficult for the government to try and gauge public opinion as to whether they'd rather have 1 day with family at the expense of, say, a 1 month lockdown in January? I know I wouldn't.

30 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Just a quick update for moving on another 24 hours.  Overall cases per 100K down from 134.2 to 130.8 7 days up to 20th November.  A decent 2.53% drop.   Absolutely confirms R rate is fractionally under 1 as sustained drops over last 10 days.

Significance on yesterdays comments.  Every single Tier 4 area has some reduction.  Even the Renfrewshire lot !

Midlothian 100.6 to 97.3 Drop 3.28%    Will it be enough to allow supposed promotion ?   Maybe

South Ayrshire 150.1 to 135.0 drop 10.06%   Should never have been relegated to tier 4

Perth & Kinross 112.5 to 116.5 rise 3.59%   As far as I can tell the only Tier 3 or 4 area still rising.  NB City of Edinburgh behaving similarly.

How can you be attributing that to Tier 4 which only started on Friday night?

Shops and gyms were mobbed all week in every area going into 4 yet there is still a decrease. It's f**k all to do with the new restrictions. 

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had to google that, looks like an Ealing comedy.

Thanks for that, first time I've seen that in colour. Strangely, other than the water jump, that fence is the smallest on the course and it was later named after the horse.

I'm pretty sure that was the same day Scotland beat England 3-2 at Wembley.

15 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The main crux is that governments believe Saving Christmas 🎅 is a vote winner and will please Daily Mail readers.

After being sure not to upset the PTA, this is the most important consideration during a global pandemic.

The Mail has been pretty rough on the WM Government over Covid, The Express on the other hand, have been been nothing but pro boris throughout 

Just like Scotland a stupid arbitrary number. It should be like 50 people per turnstile. Or 33% of your capacity.
4000 at the London Stadium is mad when you can have a full house at Clapton FC
It's also limited to a percentage (50% I think) of capacity if this is lower.

57 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

This Christmas could well be a Foinavon moment.

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had to google that, looks like an Ealing comedy.

Funny as Foinavon* the mountain never quite made Munro status by just a few feet.

Anyway, got to admire one of my local pubs' attempts at marketing having just started up a 'substantial food' menu to get around the Tier 2 restrictions.  They must have got a professional in:

image.png.ad768bb35eeadb9d7234b4352d0e022d.png 

*Eta for a somewhat tangential PTTGOYN:  Foinaven is pronounced Foy-na-ven, not foyne-ay-ven.   If you're going to name a Grand National-standard race horse and significant oil field after it, get it right rather than just ignorantly presuming it's pronounced as it's written down. 

Edited by Hedgecutter