Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, madwullie said:

How come the other two vaccines need two doses and were reported as such while this one has 70% with one and ~90% with two. What's the difference in why they didn't just report this one as two doses for 90%?

Genuine question, I don't really understand. 

They probably are still waiting to have enough COVID cases in their Phase 3 test group to be able to make the 90% efficacy claim in a manner that is statistically valid. Releasing the data with the lower number will probably be about proceeding with emergency approval ASAP in line with Pfizer and Moderna even before they get the dosing regime sorted out that makes it even more effective. Overall this is very good news.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

How come the other two vaccines need two doses and were reported as such while this one has 70% with one and ~90% with two. What's the difference in why they didn't just report this one as two doses for 90%?
I think the 70% is still requiring two doses - it's the difference in the level of dose in each case. I expect that the headline 70% figure is that this the level that they have the full data available rather than for the varying doses.

As a point of comparison, it's worth noting that a good annual flu vaccine is around 50% effective - 70% is still very good.

31 minutes ago, madwullie said:

70% sounds like herd immunity, and with that i'll not bother with the 2nd booster, could be a money saver🤣

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Well, headlines may focus on the fact it's only 70% effective in comparison to Pfizer and Moderna but it's meant to be far easier to transport so that may mean that it's a lot easier to get out into the population on a larger scale.  70% in the immediate term certainly shouldn't be sniffed at, and if they can tweak the way it's administered to provide 90% then even better.   Something like 4 million doses are ready and awaiting approval from regulators - you'd think that may be an expedited process given the situation we find ourselves in.  

Am I  right in thinking that this is the one that is manufactured in Livingston?   

If it is build the wall and keep the lot.

70% efficacy is a massive, massive win in any circumstances... given the conditions it can be shipped in it's a total game changer as it puts to bed, the lingering question of how you'd roll out a mass vaccine project to some of the poorest and hottest climates on earth and keep the vaccine effective.

On a worldwide scale, 70% efficacy of a drug that is much easier to transport and store than a 95% effective drug that needs to be kept in exceptional conditions means that the Oxford/Astra one might be the standard bearer in the first generation of these vaccines in the developing world.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

^^^consistently parrots and/or defends whatever he hears said by officialdom on the state broadcaster.

The guys thought Jason's struggling to get the message across and needs a wing man.

I think its good they are understating it. Seems honest

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Get the more effective one into the high risk folks and care home staff/nhs workers and gies the rest of us the 90% efficacy dose of the oxford one and lets get back to normal. 

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

70% efficacy is a massive, massive win in any circumstances... given the conditions it can be shipped in it's a total game changer as it puts to bed, the lingering question of how you'd roll out a mass vaccine project to some of the poorest and hottest climates on earth and keep the vaccine effective.

On a worldwide scale, 70% efficacy of a drug that is much easier to transport and store than a 95% effective drug that needs to be kept in exceptional conditions means that the Oxford/Astra one might be the standard bearer in the first generation of these vaccines in the developing world.

Speak for yourselves, I want the good one and I want it before some old granny that never goes out anyway.

Looking at the 4 nation approach to Christmas, I can see what’s trying to be achieved and sympathise with it.

People are going to visit family anyway and providing a framework through bubbles might be the best hope of encouraging an element of control.

As always it will rely on people respecting the rules and those who won’t will be those who were never going to pay any attention anyway.

Probably the least worst option available to the SG.

35 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

What a complete fuckwhit. We have gone too far, I blame the BBC presenting someone of every view when they cover a topic, we are genuinely 6 months away from the BBC having to have people on TV who don't believe the in the Holocaust as part of their quest for equality of views

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Looking at the 4 nation approach to Christmas, I can see what’s trying to be achieved and sympathise with it.

People are going to visit family anyway and providing a framework through bubbles might be the best hope of encouraging an element of control.

As always it will rely on people respecting the rules and those who won’t will be those who were never going to pay any attention anyway.

Probably the least worst option available to the SG.

Aye. Politicians can't or won't come out and say it but a lot of the problems are coming from folk just being c***s.

They'll never stop that. This is about the best they can do.