Coronavirus (COVID-19)

26 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bit miffed as to why BBC 6 o’clock news chose to accompany the list of Tier 4 Scottish council areas with a picture of Aberdeen.  

Eta: reminds me of this...

image.png.a072f8a5a3cea3e076f833a56cb38b65.png

That's up there with the attempts of the 'View From the Terrace' guys to locate Annan.

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If you remember the Great Escape one lad evaded the Germans and escaped on a bicycle 

Well there's a cycleway between Newcraighall (City of Edinburgh) and Musselburgh (East Lothian) for those wanting to sneak in for a pint....

He was the Aussie, so he'd be heading to the Diggers Arms no doubt.

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Falkirk based posters.

Your mission, should you accept it, is to deal with this issue with extreme prejudice.

https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/christmas/christmas-eve-bell-ringing-event-organised-scots-women-hits-150k-milestone-3029525

b25lY21zOmZkODBmNzFkLTE5MWUtNDM1ZS1iN2E0

As The Darkness put it

Don't let the bell ends..

Firstly, what are you talking about? You still believe that there’s no transmission from children to adults?
Secondly, I’m genuinely interested in what you believe the cause of the growth is if not schools? Is it by any chance that you think it’s purely down to house parties or some nonsense like that?

I'm not intending to present an argument that there's no children to adult transmission, I was trying to articulate that the transmission between age ranges is very low relative to adult-adult.

In a school setting in particular, we've not seen staff contract from children in Scotland.

If you go right back to the Imperial modelling at the start of this crisis, we had a predictor for where the peaks in health care capacity would come and the impact that schools and universities would have on that. The peak timings was quite close for the first peak with little movement re school and university opening.

The underlying calculation was based on transmission estimates for demographics and expected % of hospitalisation for different age ranges. The result was that just a small easing of mixing of adult population households again would be the biggest driver in getting to that peak point rather than a much larger mixing of younger demographics.

We've not really seen anything to dispel that as of yet.

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Always feel the need to point out that ‘Christmas’ was an ancient pagan celebration to celebrate the turning of the season that long predated Christianity. The shortest day being a few days before.
Christians merely hijacked the party with their Jesus nonsense.

Omg you are so interesting!

It will be interesting to see if cases do go down in the next 3 weeks with schools open. If they do then you'll obviously get people who'll think the figures have been fudged to allow the "schools before everything" mantra to prevail. If numbers dont go down then surely folk will be "woke" enough to see that pubs, cafes, restaurants, hairdressers, gyms etc are unfairly being punished 

13 minutes ago, harry94 said:

I'm not intending to present an argument that there's no children to adult transmission, I was trying to articulate that the transmission between age ranges is very low relative to adult-adult.

In a school setting in particular, we've not seen staff contract from children in Scotland.

If you go right back to the Imperial modelling at the start of this crisis, we had a predictor for where the peaks in health care capacity would come and the impact that schools and universities would have on that. The peak timings was quite close for the first peak with little movement re school and university opening.

The underlying calculation was based on transmission estimates for demographics and expected % of hospitalisation for different age ranges. The result was that just a small easing of mixing of adult population households again would be the biggest driver in getting to that peak point rather than a much larger mixing of younger demographics.

We've not really seen anything to dispel that as of yet.

That is just total guesswork. The same way it would be guesswork to say it is children that have spread it to them, but there’s no way of knowing if a child has spread it to an adult.

Just now, parsforlife said:

Doing something you know will cause a spike is madness.

I think they'll limit it to 3 households max 6-8 for christmas(immediate familystuff) means I wont be attending christmas dinner with family but they'll drop of all the food and goodies at the window which sounds great.

So in the paraphrasing included in that article, it's cited that transmission was seen to roughly stay within age demographics. I can't get access to the full paper but my reading of that is that children are being included in contact tracing to a higher level in India but no info on what the dynamics are in terms of household interaction and this contradicts some other data.

There's quite a few different studies from different parts of the world re spreads in controlled educational settings. I can't attest to the quality of these publications but there was a particularly good piece and write up which reviewed a lot of this data published in the American Academy of Pediatrics journal which is high impact and reputable.

https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/146/2/e2020004879

That is just total guesswork. The same way it would be guesswork to say it is children that have spread it to them, but there’s no way of knowing if a child has spread it to an adult.

It's a bit of a guess I suppose but contact tracing isn't a stab in the dark completely. Of course it's possible but it's definitely relevant to the assessment if we're not seeing these things flagged up in tracing and the less we see over time, the more confidence we have to say that it is a very unlikely transmission channel in the environment we have. Unless the methodology v tracing in the first place is poor for whatever reason.